VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I was wondering if anyone has encoded with a dual processor setup, Intel or AMD based? I'm thinking of getting the Tyan Tiger MP board with dual 1.4 procs and I wanted to know if anyone has done this or something similar. I'm sure that the encoding won't double, but there has to be an increase of some sort. Who's done this and what were the results?

Quote Quote  
  2. get a mobo on kt266a or wait for nForce with an XP 1800 or 1700. It'll require less power, generate less heat, and most likely will be faster for video encoding than the dual setup.
    Tyan is $220 (right?) + $99 1.4 + $99 1.4 =$418

Shuttle $89 + XP 1800 $216 = $305
    Quote Quote  
  3. I use a dual amd 1.4, and I won't go back to anything else. I didn't start doing video editing, converting, what not until I got it. But I can encode two files with virtual dub, browse the internet, play mp3's, use file sharing programs, and more with almost no slow down whatsoever

I would definately go with amd tho, cause to build a dual amd is much cheaper then a dual p4 or p3 when I priced them out.
    Quote Quote  
  4. just bought a DV6AA Gemini2 from ECS http://www.ecs.com.tw/products/d6vaa.htm , Its my first go at a D.I.Y dually and I was very cost concious, so I took this board and paid a bit extra for the optional IDE Raid controller (total $. I have to say im empressed, I work with compaq proliant servers at work and this little beast (1gb sdram, 2x p3@1ghz & 3x15gb drives in the raid 5 array) comes pretty close considering they only have an advantage on the IDE/SCSI front. Without a doubt the best box Ive ever been privalidged to play with & only cost $129.00.
    If your thinking im a sales rep, Im not so take a look where I found It http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/Motherboards/ecs_d6vaa.htm
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have Dual PIII 80O 512MB RDRAM SCSI Ultra 160 HD w/ Win2K. I will never go back to one processor again. I can encode a 103 min. movie at 720 x 480 MPEG-1 or 2 in 3 to 4 hours. At the same time download files, burn a CD, Listen to MP3's and work in Photoshop or Office. When I built this dual system I know why they call it a work station PC!!
    Quote Quote  
  6. C'mon man, video editing and processing are THE excuses for excessive amounts of ram and CPU horsepower
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    I use AMD Athlon 1.8 GHz (OC), kk266plus, 512 MB 150 MHz and movie 118 min 740x480 mpeg2 finish for a less
    1 1/2Hours !!!! Dual or Mono CPU ? Whel ...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tetak on 2001-10-16 01:15:03 ]</font>
    Quote Quote  
  8. I have a Tyan Thunder K7 and two Athlon 1.2 ghz MPs.

I can do a little better than realtime encoding VCDs with TMPGEnc. For example, a 90 minute widescreen movie might take 80 minutes or less to encode using the standard VCD template with High Quality settings.

The Tiger is a great motherboard. I'd go with it if you don't need the onboard LAN, video, and SCSI that the Thunder offers.

Please note that while normal Athlons will work in dual processor mode, they don't perform nearly as well in dual mode as MP processors. Also, I've been reading reports that the new Athlon XP processors come from the factory with dual processor mode disabled, so don't buy those if you're planning a dual processor system. The new 1.53 ghz MPs just came out a day or two ago, and those would be top choice right now.

Quote Quote  
  9. the simple fackt of avin 2cpu's gives you the opertunity to still use the fuckin box whilst encoding in about the same time as tetaks 1.8 ghz amd.especially when your runing 2x1.8ghz P4's plus a RAID array & 1ghz of ram, comon mate people it very cheep to setone up now just admin your a little gutted at not thinking about it befor you forked out for your new wonderbox that came with bells & whistels. http://www.2cpu.com & http://www.vcdhelper.com go hand in hand !!!
    Quote Quote