VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I tryed PowerVCR but it does some strange things. In fact, it generate 2 files (MPG and PLT) and the MPG file go weird when played..

Is there anything beside PowerVCR that can capture from my MiniDV directly to MPEG?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't own dv source but for analogue Intervideo's Windvr and MedioStream's NEODVD both capture to mpeg. Maybe they accept DV (firewire?) source.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ulead VideoStudio7 can capture DV by Firewire directly to MPEG1/2.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by MachineMan
    Ulead VideoStudio7 can capture DV by Firewire directly to MPEG1/2.
    yeah but the quality is crap

best to capture as DV then convert later
    Quote Quote  
  5. MainConcept's newest encoder can do this, and would be my GUESS as to the likely best quality. No real experience, though...
    Quote Quote  
  6. NeoDVD can capture directly to MPEG-2 with decent quality.
    I tried it with DV tapes.
    ktnwin - PATIENCE
    Quote Quote  
  7. I've used the MainConcept encoder for a number of months to
    capture analog video input and it works flawlessly and creates
    MPEGs ready to assemble for a DVD. It supports a wide variety
    of compression options. It is the best of the tools I've tried.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm wondering how good a real-time DV->MPEG conversion can be, considering that TMPGEnc takes 4 hours to do a 90 minute video on my P4-2.6GHz machine. I suppose all these are doing CBR? They obviously can't be doing 2-pass in realtime.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by AsHmAkIsS
    Originally Posted by MachineMan
    Ulead VideoStudio7 can capture DV by Firewire directly to MPEG1/2.
    yeah but the quality is crap

best to capture as DV then convert later
    My quality has been great. To each his own, I guess.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by ShavenYak
    I'm wondering how good a real-time DV->MPEG conversion can be, considering that TMPGEnc takes 4 hours to do a 90 minute video on my P4-2.6GHz machine. I suppose all these are doing CBR? They obviously can't be doing 2-pass in realtime.
    CBR or VBR. If you set the quality at a certain higher-than-normal level, the program appears to buffer DV video data and write it to file at less than real time.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I posted this in another thread, but here it is again:

http://www.divx.com/hardware/detail.php?id=67&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.divx.com%2Fhardware....php%3Fid%3D67

I was seriously considering this, but now I have some reservations... it only has A/V input, no firewire digital input, so I would assume there would be degradation on the way from camcorder to computer... but some people debated me on that. I guess time will tell.
    Quote Quote