VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Guest
    Hi

I converted several videos (DV) to DIVX format...using mencoder The conversion is OK but I observed that the divx generated is 4 and not 5..Is there any way to generate a DIVX 5...

With many thanks in advance

remarq
    Quote Quote  
  2. The file is not a DivX, as DivX is a trademark, not a file format. The file format is mpeg-4, in an avi container, and it has been encoded with the libavc codec. For DivX 5 compatibility, you should enable "b-frames".
    Quote Quote  
  3. Guest
    Thank you very much....Anyway I dont understand why viewing the file with Quicktime, it tells me that is a DIVX 4.1.2...and when opening with ffmeg, I obtain that it is A DIVX file, bbut if I use the info buttong it tells me that is a XVID...What is happening ?

Thank you very much

remarq
    Quote Quote  
  4. This comes from the analysis of a "four characters code" inside the avi file which is written by the encoder. In this case the code is "DIVX" (the info window prints the four letters in reverse order). This code is set by the encoder to tell players how to decode the stream and, though not arbitrary, it is by no mean a certification of the format, codec or version used to encode. But as you encoded the file yourself, you already know which format the file is (mpeg-4 libavc, which is DivX 4/5 compatible).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Guest
    Hi again:

Thank you very much for your help

remarq
    Quote Quote  
  6. Newbie_wu
    To the OP, what kinds of DV did you encode? I can't seem to (for the life of me!) encode the DV clip captured from Final Cut Pro 4 in mpeg-4 format.
    I exported the clip as a standalone QT movie, and was able to convert it into VCD, SVCD etc. But when I tried to use mpeg-4 (with any of the available options including XviD), the conversion finishes in 1 second with nothing encoded. And the details show the following that I know too little to understand:

Encoding started on Sun Jan 11 00:20:54 EST 2004
    Using GNU internationalization
    Original domain: messages
    Original dirname: /sw/share/locale
    Current domain: mplayer
    Current dirname: /usr/local/share/locale
    MEncoder dev-CVS-030226-15:00-3.1 (C) 2000-2003 Arpad Gereoffy (see DOCS)
    AltiVec found
    Reading /Users/kwxu/.mplayer/codecs.conf: Reading /usr/local/etc/mplayer/codecs.conf: Using built-in default codecs.conf
    File not found: 'frameno.avi'
    Reading disc structure, please wait...
    libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
    Cannot open file/device.
    Exiting...
    Can't open VMG info!

Please help, thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Export your FCP4 project to Quicktime mov by using the Motion JPEG A codec, and encode that one to DivX or XviD.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Major it's right but this hint is not necessary. I've the same problem and i solved!
    To convert Final Cut Express , Final Cut, iMovie file into divx proceed as follow.

1) Export your movie NOT in a quicktime .mov format but in Quicktime DV stream format (.dv)
    2) Use FastDivx preset in ffmpegX and (eventually) crop the black border before encode!!

All now will works very well!!!
    I will post this tip to new topic!
    Pierluigi
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yes, "Fast DivX" does not have such size limitations. The preceding suggestions were only meant in order to use "DivX"/mencoder and the related encoding options.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Of course Major!!
    Please can you explain the difference between Divx and Divx 3 ???
    thank you for your great Job and support!

PS To all people that are not registered to this software:
    Please support the Author! He spend time and money to develop and it's right to help his work!
    Quote Quote