VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Im finding it extreamly difficult to find a way \ program that can convert .asf files to (hopefully in the end..) a VCD MPG. Something to do with microsoft wanting to disable peoples ability and freedom to covert their files?? a fear i might put my ''he-man masters of the universe'' cartoon on a VCD for my little sister for Xmas!!?? PLEASE if anyone knows how to ASF->MPG or AVIetc please reply here!!
    thanx!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ENGLISH on 2001-10-15 15:23:53 ]</font>
    Quote Quote  
  2. First get ASF Tools from the tool section on this site. Run your .asf file thru the ASFTools repair feature (as most .asf files are slightly corrupted). Now, if your asf file is really asf, get VirtualDub1.3c and the patch available here also, and open the repaired file, select direct stream copy for both video and audio and save it as an avi. (if you got an error cannot find wmv1 decompressor, your file is really an .wmv not an .asf file.) Thats ok though, cause TMPGENC (available here also) will convert it directly to mpg, although a slower process.

Quote Quote  
  3. Argh, sorry, TMPGEnc doesn't convert .wmv files very well at all, it freezes after about 6% done most of the time. If it did it, alot of the people here including myself that asked this same question, wouldn't be asking it
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Thanx 4 ya help guys, the info solved 80% of my dificulties! thats enough to satisfy me for the moment
    As it happens i discovered that some bright spark out there has alot of work to do - developing software \ de bugging software! However the programs availiable are fantastic never the less. Currently i have TMPGEnc telling me that its gonna take 45 hours to process a file 1hr20mins long - that must be my stupidity not TMPGEnc!!! Grrrrrr!!!
    Quote Quote  
  5. 45 hours? thats ridiculous. are you using the noise reduction filter on MAX setting?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    ...nope, no noise reduction im only coverting a repaired asf to mpg (vcd format) in TMPGEnc. The conversion stoped after 12 hours(!) so i am trying again, this time i have cliped the asf file in TMPGEnc to remove some file size... still gonna take 45hrs!! (bear in mind i have a 700m\herz P3 computer!) I would recomend that if this happens to anyone else use the ASF tools as above to chop up ya ASF file and do a little by litte.(i cant cos my file must be too corrupted or something to allow it to process). Ah well thanx for the input every 1, ill let u know if it finaly works this time... about 2 days from now!!
    Quote Quote