VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. Ok everyone. I know its a little off-topic, but it is going to offer all the great images that you just saw posted by me and more.

www.coverfiend.com

It has been a bit, but i finally got all the bugs worked out and I just re-released the site.

I hope to see many of you guys and gals, over there.

Hopefully we will get a bunch game covers.

I already have around 60 covers being uploaded.
    With at least 30-40 more from another artist. And I will most likely begin working on the Custom Disc labels portion. For more info on that, plus example of high res art, check out the post here>>> https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=195628. It should be real obvious which ones ar mine.

If you did upload covers to my FTP, please login and and fill in your info on the upload page. This will make sure that you receive the proper credit for your covers.

As far as the 100kb thing that adam spoke of.....I think maybe you were looking at something for a thumbnail max size, or something.

Because this site is going to offer files as large as 40mb!! I already have around 20 covers at 600dpi.

Well, thats all for now. I hope to see you all there.
    Movie covers, Game covers, PC covers, and more!

www.coverfiend.com
    Quote Quote  
  2. Where do you guys get your printable ritek G04's from. I have just bought some riteks from www.cd-rmedia.co.uk but I could not find any that were printable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have bought my last batch from :
    http://www.supermediastore.com/ritek4x-white.html. So far I have burned over 30 out of the 100 pack with no problems.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This thread has really opened my eyes to how great DVDs/CDs can look when printed correctly. I see that many of you are using the Epson R300 printer and the Epson Stylus Photo 900. Besides these printers, are there any other printers that are capable of printing to printable DVD and CD media that you would recommend? I'm thinking about buying one, but I don't know if I'm ready to spend $180 on it....but I have the feeling that this is about as cheap as I will find a printer with these capabilities.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok all of u that used printable cd/DVD's, how do u protect them from smearing. I done some when I 1st got the 900 epson printer. The prob was when somebody touched them with a damp finger, they smeared. I had to spray them with a clear coat to protect them. So how do you all protect the printed side from smearing.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Bodyslide
    http://www.supermediastore.com/ritek4x-white.html. So far I have burned over 30 out of the 100 pack with no problems.
    Thanks but I would need a UK supplier. I just bought 50 matte silver ones as well.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Craig Tucker
    Where do you guys get your printable ritek G04's from. I have just bought some riteks from www.cd-rmedia.co.uk but I could not find any that were printable.
    Here is where i got my last printable riteks from. Also SVP usually stock them but seem to be out at present.

4X RITEK Printable DVD-R Pack of 25 Ref: 99
    25 pack. Inkjet Printable. 4 Speed Disc. Grade A, If you buy elsewhere, always check that that are guaranteed GRADE A)

These dvdr discs have the deep purple highly sought after Ritek G04 dye on them.

'Pirates Choice' £21.24 for 25.....Plus Postage and Packing..
    Not bothered by small problems...
    Spend a night alone with a mosquito
    Quote Quote  
  8. I did check SVP, but they did not even have any listed, the only printable DVD-R they have listed are prodisc. Thanks for the other link.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Craig Tucker
    Originally Posted by Bodyslide
    Thanks but I would need a UK supplier. I just bought 50 matte silver ones as well.
    Dont let people with wet fingers touch them.

I tried that whole spray sealer thing. It works, and it definately adds a nice shine, but it really only protects against a damp touch, anyhting more than damp and the discs will still run, i tested a bunch.

The problem with sealing is that it takes forever, and it seemed to cause playback issues, although i may be wroong about playback, as it seems the BeAlls are playing like crap regardless.

I really see no need to coat the discs. If printed with the right settings they are dry within minutes and i have no issues with them smearing.

I did try some funky settings, like photo, vivid, something like that and the disc never did seem to dry. I think most people that have issues are over saturating the disc with ink.

www.coverfiend.com
    Quote Quote  
  10. The ones I have got are not meant for printing AFAIK, are'nt all the printable discs white top.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm looking to buy an Epson R300 soon. One of the media sites had an article saying if you were going to use an inkjet printer to print CD's/DVD's, you would need to spray them with a clear paint (Krylon was mentioned) to keep wet hands from smearing the label.

Anybody ever experienced smearing, or tried taking this step?
    Quote Quote  
  12. I think a art FIXATIF would work am I wrong? My Epson is on back order so I can't tell you yet. But when I want to finalize my personal artwork I use a FIXATIF, or a WORKABLE FIXATIF if I know I will get back to it.

Just a thought.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, I'm a "sprayer". I use the Krylon #1305 UV Protectant Spray. It's a total hassle. I wouldn't bother if full coverage images weren't such fingerprint/smudge/dust-magnets.

There's a few drawbacks, like Stang points out;

It doesn't provide true wet protection.... protects against fingerprints/smudging...run the discs under hot water to wash the coating off, then the image....

Krylon reeks; it's an acrylic using Toluene/Acetone/Xylene solvents and you can smell a session all through the house. You have to be scrupulously clean and careful to avoid embedding lint, or dust into the coating; and if you get any on the "silver-side" it will produce playback errors

It's _very_ difficult to get a nice, flat, even coat as the stuff has _no_ leveling characteristics. It will bead, and dry in a New York Second. Any misses on the first coat will never be caught on successive coats. The stuff is attracted to itself more than anything else, almost like powder-coating... magnetically charged, and misses will remain "missed" as the coats build up around them...

I've sprayed lots of coatings in my time...laquer....shellac...you name it...this stuff is _crazy hard_ to get a nice, even, un-pebbled finish.

It's expensive; I'm paying $10Cnd per 370gm can.

You need to take the time to build a good masking/painting jig to avoid spraying the silver-side and the stacking-ring/hub....

As if all that isn't enough; you can't be sure, at the end of the year that the Krylon provides anymore resistance against color-shift and fading than a couple of coats of furniture polish...

Just one sprayer's opinion... YMMV
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Craig Tucker
    The ones I have got are not meant for printing AFAIK, are'nt all the printable discs white top.
    I have heard of silver printable disks and would love to try some... but like the full cover beall disks they never seem to make it over here.....
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guys,
    I have backed my copy of JAK 2 Renegade. I have now sccanned in the CD cover from the original and printed the cover on a RITEK g04 DVD-r disk.
    Im not getting the picture correctly sized. Have a look at how my Epson printer R300 has printed this on the dvd-r. Need some help guys. what do i do and how do i correct this.
    Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guys,
    I have backed my copy of JAK 2 Renegade. I have now sccanned in the CD cover from the original and printed the cover on a RITEK g04 DVD-r disk.
    Im not getting the picture correctly sized. Have a look at how my Epson printer R300 has printed this on the dvd-r. Need some help guys. what do i do and how do i correct this.
    Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry guys, it didn't come out the first time. Here it is now

Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I also have the epson r300. And I have noticed that when you start the print to the printer it sometimes will kick the cd caddy out about a inch. I noticed this the first time and did nothing, so my cd print out looked identical to yours. First before you print is you line up the arrows on the caddy with the arrows on the feed tray. When the printer gets started it will push the caddy out about a inch, at that time I just hurry and line the arrows back up. Simple, and I have yet to run into another problem.
    Quote Quote  
  19. The Stinger, I have an r300 and the exact same thing happens to me and i do what you do and it works too :P
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys,
    Yes, my epson printer does the same. It kicks the CD tray out about an inch, But i just leave it alone. It then takes the tray back in and starts printing to it.
    Anyway, I have created my own personal covers and this time it's done the right thing.
    I think i'm gonna have to invest into DVD-R's which have a larger inner diameter, bit like the BEALL ones.
    The ritek'd diameter a smaller hence you miss out on the extra images printed on the edges of origianl games.
    Is there anyway that you can resize an image in the Epson Print CD so that original game covers fit onto normal RITEK DVD-R's?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by The village idiot
    I never use Epson ink anymore, I rarely have head clogs, and only after the printer has been un-used for a long period of time.
    Village Idiot: What ink do you use and where do you buy it?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I buy generic ink from supermediastore.com or meritline.com. It is only about $4-5 a cartridge, and works fine.

www.coverfiend.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I buy ink from http://www.mediastreet.com For most people I would recommend the plug-N-play inks.
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Ok, just an update on my site www.coverfiend.com This site now has a lot of covers, and the NEW disc label section has launched. It features many of the High resolution disc art that you have seen me post on this site. Be sure to come over and check and register for all the new features and artwork. It features all 240-300 dpi artwork.

I hope this becomes the place for great custom work. As well as many other media tools, etc.

www.coverfiend.com
    Quote Quote  
  25. First off, I just got the epson 900. It prints great, drys quickly. Will upload a couple of custom cds that I done earlier.

I was just wondering if anyone had any playback issues with the printable dvds.

Also does the ink have to equally spread about the dvd. I noticed that most of you had the picture covering the entire dvd in a circle. What if you put like a picture on one side, and text on the other. Do you guys that this could cause playback problems?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Thanks to everyone for contributing! Now I just gotta round up the cash for an Epson....
    Quote Quote  
  27. I am just wondering whether the epson printer can print on the silver-top media. White-top media might leave an unprinted area in the middle of the disc.

Any opinions? Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by sfplex
    I am just wondering whether the epson printer can print on the silver-top media. White-top media might leave an unprinted area in the middle of the disc.

Any opinions? Thanks in advance.
    I believe there are such beasts as silver INKJET PRINTABLE disks out there You just got to make sure it says INKJET PRINTABLE when you order the disks or you are wasting your time...
    There again all disks have a unprintable area in the middle Its called a hole......
    Seriously BeAll's are printable to the hub if you can source them.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought the Epson R300 and I have the smudge problem (wet your finger to test it and the ink easily rubs off.) I know in a perfect world, I could just not get it wet, but that is not always the case. Is there any settings I should have when I print that might help? I am using Memore CD-Rs at the moment.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Guest
    Originally Posted by JohnnyCNote
    Thanks to everyone for contributing! Now I just gotta round up the cash for an Epson....
    Maybe u should change your name till u get the dough.lol
    Quote Quote