VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all

Roundabout I encountered a very serious problem on Emule today. Like usual I clicked on Emule icon to start it and a menu popped saying that the credit file can't be found and now my 9000 credits are down to 1. I think it started a new file for me. I did not do anything to emule, I didn't even update it.
    Do you know what to do. I am so mad right now.

Thanks
    Slimmx
    Quote Quote  
  2. Seems like this is an unofficial 'eMule support thread', so I'm gonna ask a Q.

eMule Plus v 1j

I don't know how, but most of my DLs, mostly almost finished , turned to "Stalled" status overnight. I can't resume them. Does anyone know what this status means and how to resume my DLs, if possible? I would hate to have to restart them.

I've tried uninstalling emule + and reinstalling, to no avail.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by slimmx
    Hi all

Roundabout I encountered a very serious problem on Emule today. Like usual I clicked on Emule icon to start it and a menu popped saying that the credit file can't be found and now my 9000 credits are down to 1. I think it started a new file for me. I did not do anything to emule, I didn't even update it.

Thanks
    Slimmx
    Where does it display your credits ?
    If it's wet, drink it

My DVD Collection
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by slimmx
    Hi all

Thanks
    Slimmx
    Slimmx, I haven't seen that problem, ever, on eMule. I don't know where you saw the credits, because they are stored on other clients, not on your machine, in their "clients.met" file config directory. Nor have I ever seen any messages regarding credits or lack thereof, although it could be new feature of v1j - I haven't upgraded yet because I don't want to shut the program down while the downloads are going well. There are a certain amount of credits you build up with clients depending on how much you upload to them, but once you are done with the file, these credits are no longer used. I wish you had a screenshot of the menu you mentioned.

You've probably seen messages like this in the server window: Client 'http://emule-project.net' seems to be an aggressive client and is banned from the uploadqueue (hash stealer) - the person using this particular userhash has stolen it from someone else and is attempting to use it to jump in front of others queue, I even had someone steal mine for a while, but they stopped using it after a day (they used some of my credits with other clients that I had built up, but once they finished I was of no further use to them). It may have put me behind somewhat with some downloads, but nothing extreme. There will be measures put into future versions to prevent hash stealing, for now the only protection is checking the box in Preferences "Enable countermeasures against unfair clients".

But I don't think this is what's happened with you. Maybe all you need to do is restart the program. If it can't find the creditfile, it probably means it can't find a client that has your userhash in their clients.met file. Were you able to connect normally and start downloading? Maybe this is a bug in v1j - or are you still running v1i? I thought you had already upgraded to v1j. Can you get the menu box to come up again and give me a screenshot of it, maybe I can determine what's going on from that.

Give me a shout tomorrow and let me know what's happening. Also check your download speeds and see if they are abnormally low or not. I'll log in tomorrow and see how you're doing. Maybe this is just an anomaly, because my mule is running for over a month straight with no crashes, no Low ID's and no problems.

Originally Posted by mujahid7ia
    I don't know how, but most of my DLs, mostly almost finished , turned to "Stalled" status overnight. I can't resume them. Does anyone know what this status means and how to resume my DLs, if possible? I would hate to have to restart them.

I've tried uninstalling emule + and reinstalling, to no avail.
    If you are having stalled status, it means nothing is downloaded for a certain period of time (used to be two weeks, I think they changed that to a few days). You can't just resume downloads by yourself, you have to wait in the queue until your number comes to the top.

You should not uninstall and reinstall eMule, ever. You will lose what credits you have, along with your preferences, settings, everything. If you don't have enough sources for the files you are trying to get, or if chunks are missing and not shared on the network, you will get a stalled status and the only thing you can do is wait until someone shares those missing chunks (noted by red bars in the status bar of the download).

One other thing you can try, right click on the file that is stalled and from the popup menu, choose "advanced" and select "download from all A4AF sources". This is "asked for another file" and will look for clients that have the chunks you need (assuming there are some A4AF sources, sometimes there aren't any). If the clients have the chunks, you should see the red bars in the status bar turn blue, if not, you are out of luck until someone shares those parts.

However, if a file is newly shared, having red in the status bar is not necessarily a bad thing, it just means the parts in red haven't been spread evenly across the network yet. But if the file is been on the network a long time and has red bars, you're SOL. Mainly, if you see Dark Blue bars in the status bar along with red, it's a bad sign. The reason for this is because the dark blue represents a large amount of clients with the file, and if a lot have it but there's red there too, that means everyone has the same incomplete file and are waiting for the last chunks they may never get. But, if you see light blue bars in the status bar, it usually (not always) means the file is just beginning to be spread and you could expect the red bars to turn blue after some time.

So if you have stalled files, all I can tell you is to make sure the file has been seen complete recently (hover the mouse over the line with the stalled download and it will show "last seen complete" along with "last reception" and other info). If it has been seen complete recently, you have a good chance of getting it complete. Be patient and maybe whoever has the last chunks you need will show up and stay online long enough to you to get your parts. Don't shut down your PC, let it run 24/7 - and definitely don't uninstall/reinstall eMule! That's the worst thing you can do, you're defeating yourself.

Hope that answers your questions, if you need to know more just ask, I'll be glad to help. Talk to you guys tomorrow. Let me know how you're doing with it.

Roundabout
    Ethernet (n): something used to catch the etherbunny
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by hardcoreruss
    Originally Posted by slimmx
    Hi all

Thanks
    Slimmx
    Where does it display your credits ?
    Ignore this, the above post just answered it
    If it's wet, drink it

My DVD Collection
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It displays credits when you start Emule in the log info on the bottom.

Where it says creditfile loaded I only had 5 clients known.
    Roundabout taught me that my credits are stored on other people's computers but there is still a file that is somehow associated with credits and if it is missing or corrupt all of your credits will be gone.
    An OP at zevel.ru helped me fix this problem. This is what you do if you ever start emule and it tells you that your creditfile is missing.

Turn off emule. Go to emule directory>config folder> clients.met.bak to clients.met. There might be a new clients.met file that emule created to replace the corrupted one, just delete it and rename the other one. Turn on emule and you ready to go.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    slimmx,

Yes, this is exactly right insofar as what to do if your clients.met file is corrupted/damaged, which somehow happened in your case. Although, the creditfile is from the known clients and is the credits of theirs that is stored on your PC.

Everyone should check and see if they have the backup set for at least the important files, and the backups don't take a lot of space, my client.met is only about 1.5MB - not much to worry about as far as size goes. Be sure to backup the .dat files occasionally if no others, in the preferences window:

Just check the .dat box and "backup now" and you're protected. Keep the "auto backup on exit" checked and "overwrite existing files" to replace the old ones with the most up to date ones.

To make sure your credits are not lost, these files are the most important ones stored on your PC in the config directory of eMule:

cryptkey.dat: stores your secure identification (do not delete it or you will lose all your credits)

preferences.dat: stores client information (do not delete it or you will lose all your credits)

userhash.dat: stores the user hash (do not delete it or you will lose all your credits)

clients.met: stores the credits for other users that have uploaded data to you

So while the clients.met is only storing the credits for other clients on your PC, it stands to reason that those same clients are storing information about your credits for files you uploaded to them on their PC, so you don't want to lose the clients.met file (that is, the file that is storing all the clients known to you). Of course, even if you lost the clients.met file, you would eventually (maybe) recontact all those clients and you would be recognized by your userhash, but that could take some time.

I try to backup the entire Config Dir to another HD periodically and keep it there, so I don't have the backups on the same HD where they might get lost if there is a crash. But any backups are better than none at all. But if you want to be sure, just drag a copy of the entire Config Dir to anywhere you can store it safely.

Since there is no real "warning" system to let you know your clients are lost, slimmx had a good eye and was observant when he noted how few clients were in the server logon window. By having the backups he was protected from loss of the files and was up and running. There's no real way to see how much credits you have on an individual client, other than calculating it from the UL/DL ratios (a topic of discussion on the boards, BTW) but it's not that important anyway, as long as you keep the credits you have from uploading to them. There is a whole movement away from the credit system that may be implemented later, but I'm not sure on what the dev's plan to replace it with. I'm still learning as much as I can about this P2P app, and there's still a lot I don't know. But I'm learning...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Right Roundabout need your help AGAIN,

My router broke and I have just got a replacement I am trying to set up the firewall rules on my Netgear DG834G(think this is a UK model only) and when I enter the IP address to forward the ports to I get the message

"IP ADDRESS IS ILLEGAL"

What does this mean ?

When I check my network connections my IP ADD is 196.182.0.2 and this is the one I am entering into the firewall rules but nothing is happening.

Suggestions please !!!, I cannot put up with this low id shite.

Cheers for looking

Russ
    If it's wet, drink it

My DVD Collection
    Quote Quote  
  9. When I check my network connections my IP ADD is 196.182.0.2 and this is the one I am entering into the firewall rules but nothing is happening.
    How did you check your ip

this is my config, router 192.168.0.1 and the pc's on the network 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.2 192.168.0.3 and so on

then setup port forwarding for TCP / UDP on the router for overnet
    It appears that the CPU was operating so fast that it began to execute instructions before they arrived. This execution of future instructions created a small tear in space-time itself through which part of the cpu passed into a parallel universe
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Russ,

Check your IP address first by going to Start/programs/accessories/command prompt (or Start/Run, then cmd) and type "ipconfig/all" (without the quotes, though) and see what IP address has been assigned to your PC. You should see a window like this. What do these numbers say (the ones highlighted here)?

(I blanked my PC name and some other info, because of possible snoops lurking on the forum - you know who) :P

Then the port forwarding on the router is the same as mine, basically - I downloaded your manual and copied this from the PDF. Sorry it's fuzzy, the PDF pictures weren't very high res.
    Log into the router by typing http://192.168.0.1 and use the default password and username (if you haven't changed it) Name: admin, Password: password
    Select "services" link of security menu and you should see this box:

Then add the eMule service to the list of services:

And repeat for the UDP, enter "eMule UDP" for name, Select UDP from the drop down box, and 4672 as start and end port, then Apply.

After doing that, go back to "Services" and enter your IP information (do it twice, once for "eMule" and again for "eMule UDP"):

I hope that does it.
    By the way, what happened to the router you had? They're usually pretty reliable and don't fail a lot. Did it crap out on you?

Let me know what you find out and if you need more assistance.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks Roundabout, you're right, if you just wait awhile it will go back into waiting status.

And, about uninstalling eMule, errr.. it's a little too late for that . And I was uploading a lot, too.

Thanks for your help .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    mujahid7ia,

Glad I was able to help, at least a little. I think if more people would try this P2P they'd not bother with Kazaa ever again. It's a little intimidating to the newbie, but with a little help and prodding, I think anyone can learn how it works and will come to like it a lot. It's very different from Kazaa, that's for sure, and some people are disappointed when they don't get instant downloads. With a little patience, they can get so much more, but it takes a little while to get rolling, you have to wait in the queue.

If I can help you at all with anything else regarding the Mule, give me a shout! Talk to you later....

R.
    Quote Quote