VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    You almost have it now, but you have to use the square [ bracket, not the rounded one {
    Ethernet (n): something used to catch the etherbunny
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

OK I used the browse button this time, hopefully it works
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you remember to use the browse button to load the picture as well as typing the link? You have to do both in order to get the picture to show up. The browse button is below the text box area on the reply page. It should work now if you go back and edit your post and use the browse and find the "picture1.jpg". Also note the image size, if it's too much over 60KB the forum will reject it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you check the image size? You may have to crop it if it's very large (over 60 KB or so).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am forwarding port 4662 from the router but there is a section on the main screen of emule that says this:

Add Server

IP or Address (blank) Port 4661
    Name (blank)

I tried typing in my IP address 192.168.1.101, typed in name "golfnut", changed the port to 4662, then I clicked "add server button", this quickly gave me an error message "can not add server.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

This picture is only 12kb.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's the wrong part to change. See my example below:

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here is what shows on the bottom of my eMule screen:

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK, I had already done that, on this screen in the connection tab my TCP is 4662 and UDP is 4672 which is exactly what my router is forwarding and set for.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, since you seem to have a High ID, we won't worry about it too much. How many downloads do you have going right now?

EDIT: You did forward both the TCP and UDP (4662 & 4672) on the router, right?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have 6 files searching, 2 of which are downloading, 4 are sleeping, and 2 others have completely downloaded.

Bottom of my screen has this:

Connection Established
    Users 70K (1.82)
    Files 3.82M(126.83)
    Up: 0.0
    Down: 0.0
    Globe Icon(I found it) -Elitemusic.org & naiadadonkey.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One key to using eMule is to have a lot of things downloading at one time, so that when one thing is waiting in the queue something else can be downloading. If you only have a few things in there, then it may seem like forever before any downloads start. But when you have 30 to 100 things downloading at once, virtually all the time something is going. Otherwise, you're wasting bandwidth that you could be using.

Go to a site like www.sharereactor.com or www.shareprovider.com and see what interests you and just start downloading some things. If you limit yourself to the search through eMule's search window, you'll only find whatever is on the server you're logged onto.

It sounds like everything is working as it should, you have your High ID like you should, and you have been able to download successfully. eMule works best on large files like 700MB ISO's or AVI's, it's not as good for smaller MP3 type files. You leave it running 24/7 and you'll find it works very well. Look at the amount of sources in the transfer window, if you see at least around 100 or more sources per file, you can be sure you'll get it relatively fast. If the number is lower, it may take longer, but you will get it eventually.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Roundabout I can not thank you enough. You have been a godsend and your patience above the norm certainly. thank you so much and have a great evening.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Another good thing about eMule is, as you get "chunks" of files completed, you automatically share them on the network, and as people get those from you, you move up in their queue (you earn "credits" for uploading to them). Then you will start downloading faster over time. But it takes a while to begin, but it sort of "snowballs" over time. Starts out slow, but gets faster and faster. To begin it could take an hour or more to get the first few chunks, but once you have them, others need them from you and they have parts you need. Then you give them your parts and you get theirs, so everyone benefits.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like a good and fair program. I will be using it much in the next few days and see how it goes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey, glad I could help. There are other websites if you need some to look at just let me know. This is key to using eMule, get the fresh links from those sites and download from there.

Once you really get started with eMule, you'll realize what you were missing with some other P2P like *cough cough* Kazaa. I'm hooked, I love this program. Took me a while to get used to it, but I'd never go back to Kazaa again. eMule has everything you could want and more - and you won't get corrupted garbage like Kazaa's files, as all the files on eMule are using verified SHA hash algorithms - it will redownload any corrupted chunks so you always get usable files.

If you can, log on here tomorrow nite and update me on how things are going. I will be curious. Have a nice nite too, and happy downloading!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again for all the wonderful help. I will keep in touch as thinks hopefull progress forward. By the way is emule suceptible to spyware? I use spybot search and destroy just in case.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AFAIK, there is no spyware of any kind in eMule or eMule Plus. It's a free, open source program that doesn't rely on advertising to support itself. Just another big plus to using it - and accounts for it's popularity. Well, I can tell you for 100% sure that eMule Plus doesn't have it, I haven't ever used plain eMule so I can't say 100%, but I'm pretty sure if eMule Plus doesn't have it, neither does eMule.

O.K. Gotta go for tonight, but I will definitely check in tomorrow to see if you have any other questions or problems. Sounds like you're up and running with no trouble at all, but if you have questions such as more websites for eMule links, just ask.

Talk to you to tomorrow night and enjoy! There's thousands and thousands of things available if you just do a little looking and digging to find the links...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Roundabout, thought I would give you a quick update. About 1030 last night I decided to uninstall emule and install emule plus. Am I glad I did. Plus is much better and working like a champ. Only thing is my internet surfing speed seems much slower with it running? When you have a couple minutes to spare I would like to take you up on your offer to send me additional sites such as the two you already sent. By the way one quick question, how do I upload files on emule, what do I have to do or is it done automatically? If done automatically is there any way I can restrict access to only those I chose? Thanks again for your help in getting this dumb newbie going.
    Thank You,

GolfNut
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Golfnut,

Hmm. Not sure why eMulePlus would work much different than eMule, but if it works for you, great. That's what I started with in the first place, I never used eMule, just d/l and installed Plus and been using it ever since.

Of course, there are some that will swear by BT (bittorrent) or some other p2p program, but one of the reasons I use eMule is just because there are so many people on the network. BT may be faster for some movies or ISO's, but if I understand correctly, mostly more popular stuff, like recent movies. The stuff I'm interested in is more obscure, like Russian programs and music.

As far as uploading files, you will do that automatically. Your incoming folder is shared (no choice on the matter, and that's a good thing) with everyone that is uploading/downloading from and to you. The system works by breaking the files into "chunks", or parts, that are uploaded and downloaded separately. By doing this, when you get an occasional corrupted chunk, you automatically re-download it and the bad one is overwritten. That's what ICH does. KaZaA doesn't have anything like ICH that I know of, and for that reason it is not any good for large files that are easily corrupted during transmission.

On eMule, you cannot selectively decide who you will upload or download to, the closest you will come to that is the ipfilter.dat file that you can update to exclude snoops like RIAA/MPAA from your queue. There is a site where you can update this filter with the latest IP addresses of these bad guys. But as far as restricting access "on the fly", no, you can't do that in a practical manner.

What kind of speeds are you getting now? Like I mentioned before, you can find files with lots of sources that will download quickly - you can assume that if there are 100 or more sources for a given file, you will get it in a reasonable amount of time. If there are less than that, you can expect to wait longer. I have some that I'm downloading that only have 1 or 2 sources, and I have to pray that they don't take the file off line before I complete it... happens sometimes.

I'll look up some more sites and repost the links as soon as I can get them together. And no, you aren't a "dumb newbie". Hell, we all have to start somewhere, and a few months ago, I'd never even heard of eMule, I was still using that "other program". God, am I glad I looked into eMule. I just found a website by accident that had eMule links, making me look for and install the program and learn how it works. I really wanted the files I saw on the website, so I took some time to get it going correctly. It's really not that hard, it's just not as easy to set up as the "other program". The way I figure it, the more people on the Mule, the better...more sources - faster for me and you. So I have no problem helping out anyone that has questions/problems with setting it up.

O.K., I'll do some looking and post some more links. Back in a little while.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here's a few links I found while looking around for d/l sites for eMule. Hope this helps - I haven't checked many of them so I can't tell you how good/bad any of them are. Check them out and see.

http://www.ed2k-it.com
    http://www.shareprovider.com
    http://www.sharereactor.com

I'll send some more to your PM box.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Golfnut,

Got your PM, have fun! Guess you'll be busy for a while...
    If some of those links are bad/dead let me know and I'll delete them from my list.
    Have a nice nite, talk to you later...

Roundabout
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Golfnut,

Here are the TCP/IP settings you should have now on your PC:

Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Roundabout & Golfnut

I just checked Emule plus website (http://emuleplus.sourceforge.net/) and today new version 1j was realised. Roundabout can you tell me how to update it, you said something about keeping the exe. I don't remember exactly.

Slimmx
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Privet slimmx,

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you yet with an e-mail, promise you will be hearing from me soon!

For updating/upgrading eMule, go to the website www.emuleplus.tk and download the binary.zip - not the installer.exe or source.zip, and when you unzip it - very important -, just extract it directly into the eMule folder in your Program Files directory on your hard drive. This will keep all your settings, preferences, and credits intact.

Oh, by the way, make sure that eMule isn't running when you do this. Otherwise it won't work. After the update, restart eMule and you should see the updated version start.

That's all you have to do! Pretty simple, but some people think you have to uninstall the old version before upgrading, they then lose all their credits because their userhash is lost.

They've been upgrading this client about every month or two since I've been using it. I'm going to upgrade too, but I hope it doesn't get worse like what happened when we went from v1h to v1i. That was a disaster, at least on my PC.

O.K. Talk to you soon! Take it easy and if you have any problems let me know...

Poka! R
    Quote Quote  
  27. If you do this upgrade do you loose all of your partially donwloaded files ?
    If it's wet, drink it

My DVD Collection
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hardcoreruss if you follow Roundabout's instructions above you will not lose your partially loaded downloads. Very important though to unzip to your emule directory file.
    Thank You,

GolfNut
    Quote Quote  
  29. Cheers, I have just discovered emule so I am a bit of a noob. Will give it a go tonight.

Thanks for your help.

Russ
    If it's wet, drink it

My DVD Collection
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Russ,

You might be having a problem like Golfnut had with Low ID if you shut off your PC, and you haven't set a static IP address for your PC. The reason for this, the router is most likely set up for DHCP (default setting on most routers) and your PC is also set to use DHCP, so that when you boot up the IP address that the router assigns is different each time (or if it's the same, it's just luck). Then while you forwarded your ports of eMule (4662 and 4672) to, say, IP address 192.168.0.100 (which doesn't change) - you log on your PC after a reboot and you get assigned (for example) 192.168.0.101 by DHCP, but the router is still forwarding eMule packets to 192.168.0.100 - obviously they will get lost.

Solution: set your PC to use a static IP address and forward eMule ports to that static address. Turn off DHCP on the router (all have this option to disable it). Make sure if you have any other PC's on your network that you also give them a static IP address, whether or not eMule is running on them.
    Quote Quote