VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by BQuicksilver
    To date I don't see conformation that any aftermarket carts work properly???
    Be afraid, be VERY afraid. Another member of this forum sent me an empty aftermarket cartridge for evaluation. The cartridge appeared well made and at first appearance to be a lot simpler. Upon opening the cartridge up I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was foam on one side and empty chamber on the other side. There was a perforated wall between the two allowing the ink in the open chamber to soak into the sponge filled half. The liquid side has a plug in the top which can be removed and replaced as necessary.

In simple terms, you can remove the plug, fill the chamber with ink, let it sit overnight so the sponge can soak in the ink, fill the cartridge again and replace the plug. This will give you a fully filled cartridge restored to the same condition it came from the manufacturer. If you feel along the top you will feel an indentation, cut this out with a razor blade or x-acto knife and the plug will be underneath. A dental pic is a great tool to remove the plug but a safety pin or small jewelers screwdriver will work.

The chip seemed to reset although I was unable to try it in my printer because I had already destroyed it.

So far so good, now for the dark side.

The Epson OEM cartridge has a very sophisticated valve and regulater system. The Epson valve only allows the ink to flow one way, out. So far still good. When the Epson valve is opened, as it is in the printer, ink will not flow unless it is drawn out with suction. The aftermarket cartridge has a valve but no regulater. Once the aftermarket valve is opened the ink will freely flow out of the cartridge. This has the potential to DESTROY your printer and Epson will know how it happened. This could be a costly non warrantied repair.

If you are seeing dropplets or smearing on your pages you may want to reconsider the use of aftermarket cartridges. You may want to also look at the waste collection sponges in your printer. If the sponges are very saturated with ink this could be a sign of the cartridges leaking.

If anyone is having any kind of a problem that might be related to aftermarket cartridge leaks, now would be a good time to speak up.

Fred R. Elias Jr.
    Warren, Mi.
    1-800-837-9200
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, anyone that cares. those generic cartridges i bought worked ok for about 10 discs then the tray started screwing up. it would go all the way in the printer and wouldnt come out. called epson and of course he said to use Epson orig.. I argued for awhile and went and bought some. Everything works again.

I dont know about other generics, but stay away from the ones I bought--See pic above a few lines.

By the way, I bought all 6 cartridegs at Office Depot for $60.77 which includes tax 7%. I used a $20.00 off coupon to get that final price.

Funny thing is that their web site showed as out of stock, but I went to the store and gave the lady the coupon code and she put it in.
    coupon code for anyone that cares.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Well all I can say after reading this thread that I wish HP made a printer that could print DVD's. Refilling most of their carts seems to be much easier and if you screw it up, you only wreck that cartridge, not the print head since the print head is in the cartridge. Plus you can reset the ink levels much easier just by rotating a set of carts in and out of the printer (well at least for the Photosmart 7150 and those which use the same cartridges)

I just ordered a 100 Ritek DVD-R 4X printables with the intention of getting a R200 but after reading this thread I might just stick to a Sharpie or take pot luck with stick on labels. So far (knock on wood) I have had no problem with stick on labels with Memorex (Ritek) and Princo (!) media. Of course the alternative is to only use the printer for DVD's (low volume personal use - I am not a commercial user) and use my HP for everything else
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like I'll just keep my R200 and pay the big bucks for ink until Cannon and HP have some more affordable alternatives...then sell the R200 on EBay.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, for me, after seeing the results of the R200 and the quality of the print on the discs that it produces, NO WAY in hell I could go back to a sharpie. I figure, based on my ink usage, I'm paying no more than 20-25 cents per disc to print. To me, that's worth it. It's a one time deal and I come away with a professional looking disc that I love to look at everytime I shuffle through my collection of DVD's.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I got my pack from Supermedia today. They ARE G&G Brand. I haven't opened them up yet, but it doesn't look as cheesy as ^^^^ posted above.

The Wilheim articles says the G&G is good for color and says its comparable to the OEM. However, it says the G&G black clogs the print heads.

Fortunately, I had hindsight and bought EPSON black cart a few weeks ago.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hopefully I'm not getting off topic, but where are the cheapest OEM Epson carts you've seen?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BQuicksilver
    Hopefully I'm not getting off topic, but where are the cheapest OEM Epson carts you've seen?
    Well, if that's the cheapest OEM Epson carts avaialable for $9.99 color and $13.99 black ($63.96 total all 6) , then why did I pay $60.77 out the door?

Yea, it includeds a $20.00 rebate, but I posted the code for you so write it down, walk into OD and buy ur stuff. No waiting for the mail and its cheaper.

If I bought from here, this is what I would pay:

Subtotal: $63.94
    Shipping charges: $7.21
    FL Sales Tax (7.000%): $4.48
    Total: $75.63

Not such a good deal, plus I have to wait on it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not everyone has an Office Depot where they live, nor do they have to pay FL tax. Since the web for OD is out of stock, can't order, if it was in stock, still have to wait

So it's only ~$72 for other people, compared to Staples, Office Max of ~$82 plus tax. That's a $10+ savings.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using G&G black for at least a month now. No cloging.
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well it's a moot point. Even with Free shipping (which there isnt) and even with TAX Free (which varies), the office depot price is still cheaper.
    Yeah, not everyone has one nearby and the web site shows they are out of stock right now...maybe because it's a good deal? hmm, yeah.

For a "walk in store", Office Depot has em beat with the coupon. For a web based mail order then office depot would have em beat if they were in stock.

Think what it would cost if you didnt have to pay sales tax with OD and free shipping. ...
    Quote Quote  
  12. got mine at rima.com and have yet to use them. shouldn't be too long though. my black is below 1/4 now. I hope to hell they work okay.
    Quote Quote  
  13. the carts I have are MMC Ink brand. anyone have any knowledge of them? I've seen a few minor thinks on the web saying MMC is rated very highly by Computer Shopper but I can't find the issue that actually has the review. I think its December '03
    Quote Quote  
  14. I bought some R300 replacement Inks about two months ago from a place in Brooklyn, NY called Mega Office Inc. I don't remember the webstie anymore The cartridges look pretty good and they all worked great except for the Yellow, it will not recognize the Yellow. I cleaned the contacts many times but it did not help it. I paid only 6.00 per unit. I guess I will have to go out tomorrow and buy a regular epson yellow and see what happens. Has anyone else bought from the store above? The boxes are green but it does not say what brand and like I say, with the exception of the yellow not being seen, they work great.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any other good sites for cheap genuine Epson ink? The office depot code above is no longer valid. I tried it today.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Try the site www.printpal.com They have ink for the epson r 300.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The code is still valid. I just used it again. It is valid until 30 April.

Just write it down and walk into ur OD and hand it to them.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did, he said it came up as expired. The was a real goon, so maybe I'll give it another shot.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I did not read the entire thread so this may have been mentioned...but has anyone tried this store:

Aink.com

Here is a link for there Epson R300 inks. Seems like good prices. I will do some investigating on them and try an order if they check out well.

Link: http://store.yahoo.com/ainkco/epson-r300-rx500.html
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    www.inkgrabber.com has ink refills for the R300 at about $6 each. Bought some a few days ago, Still waiting for them so I don't know how they are yet.
    No DVD can withstand the power of DVDShrink along with AnyDVD!
    Quote Quote  
  21. Please do let us know how they work out for you.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just recieved my ink cart shippment from inkgrabber.com of 5 each for the cannon s830 and a set for the r300.

As I had to print a large set of disks ( I sell my own instructiuonal hobby DVDs) I ran out of the light cyan. I replaced it with one of the inkgrabber.com carts. The diference is that youo need to remove a vent tape where If I remember correectly, you did not have to do so with the Epson ones. Removing these exposes a little vent hole. The carts come with chips and run about $6 a piece. I ran an immediate nozzle check which turned out perfect. Once I get all f them installed as the EPson onces run out. I'll be able to make a judment call on the ink quality.
    By the way the cannon cart only ran $1.95v a piece. That's not a typo! Free priority mail and that makes it one hell of a deal.
    No DVD can withstand the power of DVDShrink along with AnyDVD!
    Quote Quote  
  23. Hello fellow users. Please, please and please take a look at your sponges and look at your printed work carefully. If you are getting ink spatters or smearing on your printed work or excess buildup in your waste padding your cartridges may be leaking. The aftermarket cartridges will "Free flow" when the valve is open, oems will not. The valve opens when the cartridge is placed in the printer.

This may or may not be a problem.

If actual use is not a problem we can all benefit. The aftermarket cartridges are easy to refill and we can have some control of our choice of inks. Saving about 80% on the cost of ink is not too hard to take either.
    Fred R. Elias Jr.
    Warren, Mi.
    1-800-837-9200
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I get those damn ink spatters occasionally and I'm still using the original Epson cartridges. It's frustrating as hell when it happens!
    Quote Quote  
  25. Ok, well I am thinking of giving either one of these outfits a try for replacement cartridges for my R300. Anyone have experience with either?

http://www.inkjetcartridge.com/r300bundle.html

-or-

http://www.inkgrabber.com/printers.mhtml?search_for=stylus%20photo%20r300m
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by quasar1963
    Ok, well I am thinking of giving either one of these outfits a try for replacement cartridges for my R300. Anyone have experience with either?

http://www.inkjetcartridge.com/r300bundle.html

-or-

http://www.inkgrabber.com/printers.mhtml?search_for=stylus%20photo%20r300m
    jtoolman2000

Posted: Apr 19, 2004 20:08
    I just recieved my ink cart shippment from inkgrabber.com of 5 each for the cannon s830 and a set for the r300.

As I had to print a large set of disks ( I sell my own instructiuonal hobby DVDs) I ran out of the light cyan. I replaced it with one of the inkgrabber.com carts. The diference is that youo need to remove a vent tape where If I remember correectly, you did not have to do so with the Epson ones. Removing these exposes a little vent hole. The carts come with chips and run about $6 a piece. I ran an immediate nozzle check which turned out perfect. Once I get all f them installed as the EPson onces run out. I'll be able to make a judment call on the ink quality.
    By the way the cannon cart only ran $1.95v a piece. That's not a typo! Free priority mail and that makes it one hell of a deal.

I am waiting on my order from inkgrabber, ordered a full set of ink carts for my Epson R300. I will update you when I get them and use them.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by jaxxboss
    I dont know about other generics, but stay away from the ones I bought--See pic above a few lines.

By the way, I bought all 6 cartridegs at Office Depot for $60.77 which includes tax 7%. I used a $20.00 off coupon to get that final price.
    I agree 100%. I purchased all six cartridges from Office Depot yesterday with the coupon code within your post & had no problem.

BTW, where did you find the coupon code? I looked all over Office Depot's site & couldn’t find a coupon code link or anything related.
    Quote Quote