VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 11
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by duhmez
    Under contract law, any legal judgement would be in favor of the person who did NOT draw up the contract.
    Congratulations.
    Having spent 16 of my 32 years in Construction Law that might just be the most laughable comment I have ever heard.
    Will
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.

2. Why is that laughable? That is contract law. When there is a disagreement, the judge must lean towards the person who signe the contract, not the person who drew up the contract. I' m not saying the contract srawer wins no matter what, maybe you misunderstood me...

BUt if somehitng could really go either way, in that case the person who authored the contract will lose.

That is how contracts work. If it's written well, and it can only go one way, then the point is moot.

Search Comp PM
    Like it was said before.... if most people dont have a dvd burner or the experience ripping and copying (which most people dont), WTF is there to worry about? I ever get married again....and have it recorded on a dvd, lets see if I cant do something about that to make copies. I just think the world is full of thoughtless and greedy bastards. YOU GOT PAID... LIVE WITH IT!
    If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0

4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by b1tchm4gn3t
    Like it was said before.... if most people dont have a dvd burner or the experience ripping and copying (which most people dont), WTF is there to worry about? I ever get married again....and have it recorded on a dvd, lets see if I cant do something about that to make copies. I just think the world is full of thoughtless and greedy bastards. YOU GOT PAID... LIVE WITH IT!
    A slam dunk, but you still get the two points. Ouch!
    Hello.

Search Comp PM
    well damn....he cant seem to get the hint....but thats ok...he will be out of business soon enough with that lame-ass attitude!

6. Try burning it on crap media - I'm sure they'll be coming back for more copies in no time $$

7. Hmmm. Lots of arguments here, but let me answer some questions:

1. Paul: Adobe Encore has CSS/Macrovision protection built right in. So if you use this package, you get the best that DVD protectection has to offer. This will protect against casual copying.

2. If you jokers here cant realize that a $10 charge to make a new copy of a wedding DVD is not a bargain then work out the costs of the following:
    1. Media
    2. Burner
    3. Time to learn this 'art'
    4. Software to burn it.

3. I do shoot, edit and produce wedding videos and I certainly would not like to see a client buy a single copy and then crank out 100's for far flung friends and relatives.

8. sorry to jump in but things get priced by the market -

- if your price is competitve, relative to other options, your clients will come to you
    - you can get paid a premium for work that's 'unique' or not available elsewhere

suggest to differentiate yourself based on your video services, which can be marketed as unique (e.g. the video you produce, your reliability on showing up, client references, etc.).

making a copy of a dvd is a commodity, like gasoline (e.g. the copy I make is for the most part the same as the copy you make). It will be priced as such, e.g. close to cost.

trying to extract a premium price for a commodity product may not be worth it in terms of the return, which is why it is seeming like so much work here in this thread.

suggest to offer copies up front as part of your package or an add-on and sell for the convenience. if you bundle it w/ your package under one price, you may be able to get a little more priemum, which your clients will attribute to your services. if you want to allocate that income to the copies instead, that works. other than that, you may be trying to solve a problem that many other have tried before you.

just my 2c.
    "As you ramble on through life, brother, whatever be your goal - keep your eye upon the doughnut and not upon the hole."

9. I don't know what the law say so I can't say what's legal or not. The way I see it If I goto someone to video something for me and they say I'll do it for (for example) $1,000.00 and will make extra copies at a reasonable price I will hire them and probably have some copies made. But if they tell me I have to buy copies off of them and I,m not allowed to make copies I'm going somewhere else. Bottom line charge a fair and profitable price, do good work and you will have your customers recommending you to their friends and family and your business will do good.

10. Its quite simple, the videographer can retain copyright on a wedding dvd. In that case, it is illegal to make copies without permission from the videographer. It is quite immaterial whether you think this is fair or even if you think that the reproduction cost is too high. If you dont agree to this for your wedding video - shoot and produce the video yourself or get a friend to do it (and make the friend cede all rights to you).

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by triphop
    Hmmm. Lots of arguments here, but let me answer some questions:

1. Paul: Adobe Encore has CSS/Macrovision protection built right in. So if you use this package, you get the best that DVD protectection has to offer. This will protect against casual copying.

2. If you jokers here cant realize that a $10 charge to make a new copy of a wedding DVD is not a bargain then work out the costs of the following:
    1. Media
    2. Burner
    4. Software to burn it.

3. I do shoot, edit and produce wedding videos and I certainly would not like to see a client buy a single copy and then crank out 100's for far flung friends and relatives.
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.

Search Comp PM
    I myself agree 100% that $10 a copy is cheap. What I am saying is that the average 'Joe' dont have the equipment or the know-how to copy these things so it doesn't really matter. But for the ones of us that do posess the know-how and the tools ....it WONT matter what you try to do. And whether its legal or not has no bearing on how I feel about this subject, its THEIR wedding, you got paid, why would you morally want to keep the copyright. No way would I EVER sign a contract as such that gives them the right to hold my video as their own. And for the suckers who sign such a contract....well....they get what they deserve for not taking the time to read the fine print. The service is where you make your money, not the copies. It will always be that way. And I do apologize for being rude earlier in this post....it just burns my buscuits to see greed. Guess its all about a contract you come up with. And if they sign it....you have a good case for yourself!

13. Originally Posted by triphop
    1. Paul: Adobe Encore has CSS/Macrovision protection built right in. So if you use this package, you get the best that DVD protectection has to offer. This will protect against casual copying
    If he's burning these discs that will not work. You can't apply Macrovision and CSS encryption to content on a DVD-R (General). Ever heard of licensing costs? These options can only be used on a DLT or DVD-R(Authoring Media Only) master that is going to be pressed.

14. im sure the big companies could do it, but not the way its working now, like maybe a system that needs online registration from a key code. But obviously, this won't work for people w/o internet access, and it would be a real pain, but it could somehoe work.

15. Hello y-all,

Just my two cents. It seems to me like this is just another greedy rip-off artist trying to gouge the customer for their own gain. If the customer pays you for the footage then if somebody in their family or elsewhere liked the footage and wanted a copy then it should be the customers choice to copy the footage or photos. Thank you, and lets all stick together to put these rip off artists out of business!!!!

16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    He's doing that himself without our help. I probably could single-handedly wipe him out of the market by simply offering a reasonable wedding tape, about $7-$10.00 for every extra copy the bride and groom wanted, and and free instructions on how to copy them if they do not know how to copy themselves.

Our esteemed colleague would be trying to "grease" every unfortunate betrothed who wandered in his door, while I would be cleaning up on the repeat business caused by the recommendations from satisfied customers.
    Hello.

17. If it was my business I would rather make a $1,000 more or less by a happy customer sending me more video jobs than making $60 selling copies of a job already done and losing future customers. I truly believe a happy customer is a repeat customer.

Search Comp PM
    1. Media
    2. Burner
    4. Software to burn it.
    Yes, lets.

1. Good quality media bought in bulk - <$1.50
    2. Good +/- burner = $100. Even if you only get 1000 burns thats still 10c a disk.
    3. You should already know this but even so, following the guides on this site will teach you all you need to know in a week or so.
    4. You can get pretty good results from sub $100 packages. Someone worried about a few $ isn't in the hundreds or thousands of $ software market.

Throw in some cases, photo paper for inlays and the ink involved and the costs will be around $5.

Don't get me wrong here - as I stated earlier I think $10 is reasonable. However, if you're in the video business you're already having to do the editing for the VHS copies you make so editing the video for DVD does not take extra time. The PC does the encoding and the burner does the burning.

If you want to make money, then load the charges up towards the front end of the deal (i.e. the cost for the on the day stuff) and then do the VHS and DVDs for $10 a throw - you're still making $5 a piece.
    Regards,

Rob

19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I say we find this pelsass and string him from the highest tree we can find! Then lets light him on fire and watch him burn.

He's a witch I tell you.

Who's with me??!!!!
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!

20. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Excuse me but the dvd`s arent hollywood production,its of the people`s own wedding that they can share with whom they ever want.Who ever puts the video onto dvd`s should never have rights to peoples most treasured events.

21. This is to all the politically correct idiots who have blasted the author.

The photographer owns the copyright of this video, full f***ing stop. It's called the Copyright and Patents Act. The photographer should place a sticker on the cover stating his name and the year and the fact that the disc is subject to copyright.

I remind people on a sticker also that it is a criminal offense to copy, scan reproduce this in any form without the written permission of the author.

If you take this to Wal Mart whoever and make copies. I can sue the hell out of Walmart if I wish for breach of copyright.

These are the laws folks, the man has a business to protect and mouths to feed.

Search Comp PM
    To quote Billy Ray Valentine from the film Trading Places:

'Is there a lawyer in the house?'
    Regards,

Rob

23. As long as the customer isn't making copies to resell, and only making them to distribute(for free) to their family & friends then the author shouldn't have a problem with this. It still seems to me that the author is trying to be a Sadaam Hussein(dictator) in gouging more money from the customer. Like Sadaam Hussein, pelsass ought to also be captured, and locked up.

24. no dcapp1, it's still an unauthorised copy. Technically you are not even allowed to play your Metallica CD in public..read the copyright notice.

Forget the ethics crap, this is the law.

Search Comp PM
    (2) Where a literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work is made by an employee in the course of his employment, his employer is the first owner of any copyright in the work subject to any agreement to the contrary.
    The cameraman is the employee of the bride and groom - they own the copyright, surely?
    Regards,

Rob

26. He's not an employee of the bride and groom.

You buy a CD from HMV, you don't own the intellectual coyright.

Search Comp PM
    If you have access to an Apple computer then you could use DVD Studio Pro to author your DVDs. In the program you can add CSS and Macrovision. If you add these, your basic watcher won't be able to copy it.

BTW, I make independent movies. I want to be profitable. If I release a movie and others copy it and show it off, more power to them. The movie is already made and they are spreading my name all over the place. Which means then the next movie comes out, more people would have heard of me and probably buy my next movie. Then the next. Then the next. And so on.

28. bode,

this is purly about ethics in my opinion. If the author was interested in this being a law related post. He/she would seek a lawyer. The author probably just wants to flex their muscle and say ha ha you the customer are going to get poorer while I get richer. Pellsass get over it!

Search Comp PM

If I pay someone to do something for me, then I am their employer and they are my employee.

What if Lars Ulrich bought a Metallica CD from HMV? It's not the property of the guy that pressed record on the tape deck.
    Regards,

Rob

30. He doesn't need to seek advice from a lawyer because the law is already in place. As soon as he presses the shutter/ record button, it's his image etc.

Millions of photographers around the world work on this principle. He has a right to stay in business and if he charges too much, he will go out of business.

I don't believe it is possible to do this on a dvdr anyway.