VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am very new to this and would appreciate any and all help to do the following.

I have the Dish System and would like to capture movies and some programing I order to my hard drive, then burn it to a DVD. What are some of the recomended video cards to use and the steps to achieve this.

Thank you all very much.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My Method:

1) Hardware Mpeg2 Capture with Dazzle DVC II (Pci bus)
    2) Author via TmpGenc Author
    3) Burn via Nero 5.5

I use Bitrate Calc to determine bit rate for CBR capture.

Very good results and fast. A 2 hour movie from capture to DVD in about 2 1/2 hours.

I bought my card used off Ebay for under $100.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I --

1) Capture with ATI AIW 7500 Radeon
    2) Encode with TMPGENc Plus(if not capturing directly to MPEG2)
    3) Author with DVD-Lab
    4) Burn with Nero 5.5
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capture with Avermedia card using VirtualVCR (no drops)
    Encode with CCE
    Author with DVD Maestro
    Burn with Record Now Max
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    1) Capture the digital mpeg2 stream directly with a DVB-S card
    2) Demux video and audio streams with pvastrumento
    3) Import the streams to DVDlab, author and burn to DVD

No quality loss at all because DVB and DVD both use mpeg2 no reencoding is needed. It is copied directly from DVB to DVD.
    This may not work if your satellite does not use the DVB system.
    Ronny
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ ronnylov: This is a valid method only if the DVB transmission has a valid DVD framesize (720/704/352 x 480 (576 PAL). DVD Lab accept of course other framesizes, non DVD standard, but then you do a kind of xDVD not a true DVD. Plenty DVD standalones play those, same way they can play xSVCDs or xVCDs.
    Of course, you can re-encoding from a DVB source which is a far better method than capture analogue and convert to mpeg 2... This is what I do the last 3 years now!

@markd75: You have 4 methods:

1. Capture analogue (avi), filter and encode to mpeg 2. Then Author and burn. Takes time, best quality from all other methods, also with this method you can burn more on a disc (smaller filesizes). Almost all the cards with video in can do this at least decent today
    2. Capture realtime to mpeg 2, author and burn. A much faster way and with fair bitrate we can succeed results visual identical the transmission. About 2 hours per DVD-R disc that way, up to 3 Hours with some quality loss (blockiness on some scenes). Realtime mpeg 2 can be done with software or hardware. There are average cards with excellent software succeed better results than some amazing hardware cards with bad drivers/software
    3. Capture through a videocamera's pass thru bridge to DV, filter, encode to mpeg2, author and burn. The best of the best method, expensive and takes time (about the same with method 1)
    4. You buy a DVD Standalone recorder: Fast, easy, with good results (far from perfect, but fair good!). About the same with method 2, but easier, faster and - hell - some time better results (because of hardware filters, those standalone recorders have)
    Quote Quote  
  7. If you don't have it, get a cable box with firewire and record away in vegas or premeire. No capture card needed and this will give you the best results.
    true to the tri
    Quote Quote  
  8. 1)Stream with DVB-S card (does not work with directv ony dish and bev)
    2)DVDpatch file to 720x480 (from 520x480)
    3)Open with Tmpgenc DVD edit make menus whatever, make DVD file
    4)DVDpatch file back to original resolution (520x480)

works awesome, no need to demux, and perfect quality(as good as you are going to get) only problem with TMPGenc only cuts on I-frames, but no big deal though, I have yet had a problem with it playing in DVD player tried (toshiba,sony, JVC and apex)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by markd75
    I am very new to this and would appreciate any and all help to do the following.

I have the Dish System and would like to capture movies and some programing I order to my hard drive, then burn it to a DVD. What are some of the recomended video cards to use and the steps to achieve this.

Thank you all very much.
    I also have DishNetwork and have a DVR (a 501) to do direct recording.

Here's how I capture and burn programs/movies:

1) I have an ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon card. My Dish 501 is connected to the AIW Radeon breakout connector using S-Video cable for video and the RCA stereo cables for the Audio. I'm thinking of upgrading my old AIW to a later model that would provide hardware support for MPEG2 encoding, and so, of the current ATI AIW models, I would recommend an AIW Radeon 9600 or 9600 Pro based on the research I've done so far.

2) I capture direct to MPEG2 with MPEG1 Layer II audio using the ATI MMC TV Player software that is bundled with AIW cards. There are guides on this site and on www.lordsmurf.com for how to best use AIW cards and MMC for captures from different sources, including satellite. There are many software parameters that can be adjusted, but fortunately the existing guides are an excellent starting point for getting these parameters right for different situations and needs.

3) I author the DVD content with TMPGenc DVD Author, which is pretty simple to use and does the basic stuff I care about like trimming the excess that the the DVR captures before and after the satellite program, and creating simple menus. I don't reprocess the captured video or audio. (Some like to de-mux and convert the audio to AC3 format, which is offically included in the DVD standard, unlike MPEG1 Layer II which is not in the standard, but still supported by almost every player; there is an additional-cost TDA plug-in for AC3 encoding) I don't burn with TDA, but instead use it to write the DVD directory structure to my hard disk.

4) I burn the DVD directory structure with Nero 6 to a Plextor 708A DVD drive onto DVD+R (or for testing or temporarily copies onto DVD+RW). If you want to play these back on a home entertainment system, you need to check what media types are supported by your DVD player. I have a Sony NS725p and it seems to handle all the common types well.

I find this procedure to work very well for me and to produce excellent DVD recordings of Dish broadcasts. The only drawback is the ATI software can be finicky to install and maintain (i.e., upgrade). You'll find guides and posts on this site about how to handle those software issues, but the issues still create headaches for some people. There is a wide range of opinions I've seen here about TV capture, but my distillation of it is that, when the MMC software is working, an AIW card and MMC can produce TV captures as good, or better, than any other consumer level capture hardware and software.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have a DirecTV DVR, and I have it connected to a Sony RDR-GX7 component DVD burner.
    1. I record off of DirecTV onto DVD-RW discs
    2. I use DVD Decryptor to rip the files onto my desktop
    3. I use Womble Mpeg-VCR to remove any and all commercials, and save the file as an Mpeg-2 file.
    3. I use Ulead DVD MovieFactory2 to create the image files, and I burn the projects using Nero 6.

I hope that helps.
    Quote Quote