VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Do you dream in your sleep?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Just wondering...

I am a bit of a mix, some nights I dream and can remember them, sometimes I can't remember them and others I don't dream at all.

Recently though I had my wisdom teeth out and the prescription medicine I was taking really produced some whacked out dreams.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I dream and remember them. Luckily no one has voted for the tgpo option yet. Perhaps this should be moved to the polls section.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tgpo
    I dream and remember them. Luckily no one has voted for the tgpo option yet. Perhaps this should be moved to the polls section.

Well, that's done it now, hasn't it tgpo?
    Will
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Will Hay
    Will
    Yeah. I think Jeex voted for it multiple times :P
    Quote Quote  
  5. I don't really remember most of my dreams, but some vivid ones I do.

Has anyone heard of lucid dreaming? It's the ability to gain conscious thought and processes whilst dreaming. However, it's very hard to stay in the dream when you become lucid and not wake up. In a nutshell, you have to get into the habit of doing "reality checks" where you look around and check you aren't dreaming. This habit will be carried over into your sleep and you'll perform a check, find you're dreaming, and gain lucidity.

Those skilled in it are able to direct their dreams much as a movie director works. Certainly sounds like fun to me, but does it actually work?

Just thought it might be interesting.

CobraDMX
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CobraDMX
    I don't really remember most of my dreams, but some vivid ones I do.

Has anyone heard of lucid dreaming? It's the ability to gain conscious thought and processes whilst dreaming. However, it's very hard to stay in the dream when you become lucid and not wake up. In a nutshell, you have to get into the habit of doing "reality checks" where you look around and check you aren't dreaming. This habit will be carried over into your sleep and you'll perform a check, find you're dreaming, and gain lucidity.

Those skilled in it are able to direct their dreams much as a movie director works. Certainly sounds like fun to me, but does it actually work?

Just thought it might be interesting.

CobraDMX
    That's also the plot to the movie Vanilla Sky.

I've tried it once. Before I went to sleep I repeated over and over "Coke can", so that if I ever saw a coke can I would know I was dreaming. When I had been asleep for a while my brother came into my room and said "coke can" a couple of times and left. In my dream I realized I was dreaming, but it only lasted for a few seconds and I woke up.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I also dream and remember them in the morning...or some thought during the day will jog my memory to remember the dream.
    Thank you, Thank you very much - Elvis
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Will
    Yeah. I think Jeex voted for it multiple times :P

What, Jeex, my eldest son?
    I'll be having words with him tonight.

(In my best Northern England accent)....
    ....No tea for you-s, you's lil' bastard, get straight up them thar stairs and int' bed lad, or I'll come up tham stairs and beat yus!

Will
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I've never seen Vanilla Sky. Is it any good?

This is my 200th post! Best watch out tgpo, if you stop posting now it'll take me 42 years to catch up with you! Can you feel me snapping at your heels?

CobraDMX
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CobraDMX
    I've never seen Vanilla Sky. Is it any good?
    I liked it a lot. Very strange, but very good.

This is my 200th post! Best watch out tgpo, if you stop posting now it'll take me 42 years to catch up with you! Can you feel me snapping at your heels?
    I better step it up a notch
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I enjoyed this movie.
    yes, it was very strange but clearly I missed this 'lucid dreaming' shit.
    Can you explain a little more with regards the plot, help me get a little more from the movie when I watch it again?
    Will
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I enjoyed this movie.
    yes, it was very strange but clearly I missed this 'lucid dreaming' shit.
    Can you explain a little more with regards the plot, help me get a little more from the movie when I watch it again?
    Will
    CobraDMX, do not read if you don't want spoilers!!!!!

Basically everything after the crash is a dream. He went to a place that would put him to sleep and allow him to be in a world of his own, A kinda of cross between Total Recall and The Matrix. The problem came when his dreams spun out of control. In his dreams he wasn't supposed to remember the crash. He was suppose to have a great time in his dream life with no memory of the crash, but the memories came back. This caused his lucid dreams to become more like nightmares, which is why we waas arrested and had to talk to the doctor and everything. The company in which his REAL body was sleeping at placed a man into his dream to inform him that it was all fake and that he must wake up before he dies. He then must decide if the world he is in is truely real or fake.

Very cool movie. Very enjoyable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I also saw a futurama episode about the same plot...

I had a Lucid experience once... It was a sex orgy with BDSM references, with me in a Master Role. Anyway, I wouldn't wake up (I'm not stupid, you rarely have those opportunities doing those things....) but my girlfriend woke me up, 'cause I keep calling loud in my sleep my sex female slaves to do me stuff.
    She was really pissed off for some reason...
    Women... I can't understand them!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SPOILER = Vanilla Sky

Basically everything after the crash is a dream. He went to a place that would put him to sleep and allow him to be in a world of his own, A kinda of cross between Total Recall and The Matrix. The problem came when his dreams spun out of control. In his dreams he wasn't supposed to remember the crash. He was suppose to have a great time in his dream life with no memory of the crash, but the memories came back. This caused his lucid dreams to become more like nightmares, which is why we waas arrested and had to talk to the doctor and everything. The company in which his REAL body was sleeping at placed a man into his dream to inform him that it was all fake and that he must wake up before he dies. He then must decide if the world he is in is truely real or fake.

Very cool movie. Very enjoyable.
    So the great looking chick never existed, it was always Cameron Diaz, and didn't he drop off the roof at the end?
    Didn't this signify he wasn't in the real world?
    Didn't some girl die somewhere along the line?
    Will
    Quote Quote  
  15. I can remember having a few lucid dreams however the weirdest feelings I have is when I can kind of remember my dreams and then later (can be a month or two in some cases) in real life I can be doing something and a strong deja vu feeling kicks in and the dream comes back.

Its kind of like being psychic however normally the events relate to mundane things, nothing exciting or useful.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Hello.
    I studied a little about dreaming a couple of years ago.
    Actually, everyone dreams every night. We experience several sleeping cycles a night (each of them differ in length, and the earlier one is longer than the one after). We remember a dream because we are in the middle of one of the sleeping cycle (in the dreaming stage, to be more clear). However, waking up in the dreaming stage is not as comfortable as completing a whole sleep cycle. That serves a factor to explain why sometimes you can sleep for like 3 hours but you feel like you are very energetic (coz the first sleep cycle lasts for about 3 hours).
    So if you have "no dreams," that means you have slept well, but you did dream several times during the night. You just can't remember them.
    If you want to remember a dream, try to wake up in 1.5 hour (not by taking a nap during daytime, coz it has a different sleeping cycle).
    Quote Quote  
  17. "I dream of tgpo, he's so dreamy that the covers are wet"

You are one sick puppy pacmania_2001.
    Quote Quote  
  18. That's nothing compared to the original option I had but due to some technical difficulties and my propensity for being lazy I entered the shorter and more minor-friendly option you see today.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SPOILERS that will eat your soul

So the great looking chick never existed, it was always Cameron Diaz, and didn't he drop off the roof at the end?
    Didn't this signify he wasn't in the real world?
    Didn't some girl die somewhere along the line?
    Not exactly. The other girl existed, but much of what you saw of them never happened. In the real world they did meet, but she shunned him when he wore the mask and everything. In his dream she loved him much more than in the real world. I'm trying to remember back, in the real world I think that they were actually just friends in passing, never anything more.

He did drop off the roof at the end, but it was all a dream at that point. When he landed, it's when he woke up in the real world. It's like how in your dreams you never die, you always wake up just before you do, same principle here. He woek up before he died in his dream.

Diaz really died in the crash, all the stuff you saw later, with Cruz really being Diaz was in the dream, that was part of the nightmare phase of his lucid dream.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I saw that movie 3 times before I understood it. My DH tried to explain it to me and I still didn't get it. I very much enjoyed it even when I couldn't understand what was going on. Good movie!

I have experienced dreaming and realizing I was dreaming. It's not as easy as it sounds to consciously direct one's thoughts. If I fall asleep for 5 minutes, I dream. I also remember dreams I had when I was about 4 years old. Before that, I don't remember nuthin'.

I didn't vote because there was no option for "I dream about Will Hay."
    Don't squat with yer spurs on.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't understand #2. If you know you dream, then wouldn't you have some idea what it was about?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Strange... No queston about Electronic sheep on the list... Very strange...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here is a good one for you. I have had the lucid dreams, the ones you can direct, but try this on for size.

Ever since I was about 20, I have the ability to ROUSE myself from a very deep nightmare, one where you are deep in sleep. At some point, I am so fearful yet, seem to know that I am dreaming, so I scream and thrash in an effort to wake myself. Here is the kicker.

My screaming is a mere whisper and my thrashing might move me an inch.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I dream every night like everybody else.

Some dreams don't make sense and some do seem to reflect what I am thinking and doing. Some dreams seem to come from the past and about people I know.

I dreamt meeting Tom Cruise, maybe in a bar. I remember seeing a strange baby with a square hole in the face that I can see through. Another dream, a work supervisor telling me to speed up my work and I am getting pressured for more work to do.

Some dreams can contain sex as well and this can be a pleasure. Sweet dreams can be seen and this would be much better than having nightmares.
    Quote Quote  
  25. I usually don't dream, I astral project.

Like dreaming, just much more fun.. only one downside, when you snap back you are usually so mentally tired you need to sleep.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by arcorob
    Here is a good one for you. I have had the lucid dreams, the ones you can direct, but try this on for size.

Ever since I was about 20, I have the ability to ROUSE myself from a very deep nightmare, one where you are deep in sleep. At some point, I am so fearful yet, seem to know that I am dreaming, so I scream and thrash in an effort to wake myself. Here is the kicker.

My screaming is a mere whisper and my thrashing might move me an inch.
    I do the same, if I do not like a dream I am having I am able to wake myself up.

I had a dream last night that I was being attacked by a dog, I woke up and the missus was trying to initiate love making, don't know what was more scarier.
    If it's wet, drink it

My DVD Collection
    Quote Quote  
  27. Yes I do dream and they are very wierd. Note:everyone dreams.
    No, it came with the frame.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Last night I drempt that (A) I was being chased in an empty mall by a few vampires...the mall was set up like a HALO map , and (B) I crashed my car and got a flat tire trying to outrun them.

Woke up and was like "WTF?"
    Quote Quote  
  29. My most disturbing dream is being chased by King Kong. My most pleasurable dream is when I dream about my dead grandpa. Some of my dreams I wake up and can remember them, but I have no words to describe what went on in them
    No, it came with the frame.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    When I was a kid my nightmares used to scare the hell out of me. But now they entertain me ...the wierder the better. Sometimes I wake up feeling like I just saw a really good movie. Maybe because I'm always aware that they are only dreams - even when I'm in them
    Quote Quote