VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hey,

i have burned me quite a few vcds/svcds here in the past year or so, but recently discovered a problem. i came home for christmas break from college, after having burned quite a few movies to watch over the break, but was extremely disappointed when i put in the movies into my home dvd player (Samsung S222) to find that nearly every single one had extremely choppy audio and a few stutters in the video when being played on the dvd player. However, two of my movies worked just fine, looked great and sounded great, but the difference is this....the two movies that work fine are the only ones that I had to encode myself using TMPGenc. The other movies were bins/cues, and even a couple of KVCDs, which i thought were cool at first, but not anymore with this audio problem. The audio sounds like a CD that is skipping really bad, and if you are like me, you just cant freakin stand it...it is making the movies unwatchable. I read the compatibility list of dvd players and everyone seems to say that my player is compatible with VCDs and SVCDs, CD-Rs, etc....pretty much everything SHOULD be working. I dont think i have ever had issues with bin/cue movie files before, but I am unsure if i have tried them on this particular dvd player yet. Is there a reason that the videos that i did not have to encode myself would have this terrible problem? I tried messing with my tv's audio, dvd player's audio, and just about everything else, but nothing remedies the issue. If you have heard of anything like this, any info that can help me out would be great. By the way, I am using Fujifilm 700Mb CD-Rs, which work fine with the encoded videos. Would the brand of cds have anything to do with it? What if i made a copy of my movies onto another brand of cd-r? Anyways, ill stop rambling and hopefully someone can help me out. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Other media and a slower burning speed might help, but my guess is that the videos you're having problems with have not been encoded respecting standard bitrates but contain high bitrate peaks. Take a look of video bitrate with bitrate viewer.

You might also want to check if there's a firmware update available for your player. (My Philips DVD 622 didn't originally play ANY VCDs/SVCDs without such problems, firmware update fixed it. It still cannot play SVCDs with higher than ~2700 kbps bitrate (audio+video) or VCDs with non-standard bitrate. Both XVCD and XSVCD work when burned onto DVD media.)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your home player is bitrate limited. It can't handle non-standard settups (like KVCD). You can re-encode or get a $39 player that plays everything. Besides, you should be working from original DVD's, not downloading garbage.
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan
    Quote Quote  
  4. hey, i reburned one of my movies on a new Maxell CD-R, and at a slower speed, but the result was still the same on my dvd player. The audio was still exactly the same as before. I also used the bitrate calculator on the actualy movie file and the movie's bitrate was around 1,100 the entire time, so I think that should be okay...but i dont really know about that sort of thing. Also, I took the movies over to a friend's house and all but one of them worked fine. I guess that this player is just hosed for some reason and I can either watch them on the comp or at my friend's house. However, if there is anything else that you think I could do, please let me know.
    Quote Quote