VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. No real stuff .. will not be available to members of this forum unless they can prove a genuine need for it.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    WTF ?
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    WTF ?
    indeed.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Who cares, Dual Layer DVD burner's are comming out soon anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm... Get this or wait for the dual layer drives???

http://www.cdr-zone.com/news/1456/new-dual-dvd-writer-pioneer-a07-available-in-january..html

New dual DVD writer Pioneer A07 available in January.
    Some news about the upcoming Pioneer A 107 8X Dual format drive has been released to the public.

CDR-Info say
    " Pioneer today announces a multiple format DVD/CD internal writer the DVR-A07. The drive enables high-speed recording at 8x with high-speed DVD-R discs (the specification of which is being ratified by the DVD Forum) and 8x with high-speed +R media. Pioneer's seventh generation recordable drive combines extended recording speeds with precision recording technology to enhance a wide range of multimedia and archiving applications.

In addition to the improved performance, the DVR-A07 is a multiple format drive, supporting the DVD Forum's DVD-R and DVD-RW disc formats as well as the +R and +RW formats. This helps eliminate format confusion, which has become a growing problem for potential buyers. The drive records high-speed DVD-RW and +RW media at up to 4x speed, and CD-R and CD-RW media at up to 24x speed. The DVR-A07 will be available in January 2004 at an approximate price of 300.

"With the launch of the industry's first 8x DVD-R and +R drive, Pioneer maintains its heritage of being at the forefront of developments in DVD technology," observes Chris Tampsett, Senior Manager, Pioneer Europe NV, Multimedia Division. "The DVR-A07 offers an unsurpassed combination of speed and, through its multiple format support, convenience. The drive enables users to focus on writing DVDs instead of worrying about which disc to buy and saves valuable time by writing DVD and CD media as fast as recordable DVD technology can be pushed at this point."

Pioneer has sought to compensate for the varying quality of media available in the market with a range of technologies to enhance high-speed writing quality and reliability. These technologies include:
    A Liquid Crystal Control system for precise writing onto the surface of discs that have become warped or are of uneven thickness Smart Laser driver, which provides precise laser pulse control and achieves reliable recording for high speed writing Precision Recording Technology, applies an automatically adjustable writing technique that enables recording at optimum conditions for each type of media A Defect Management System enhances writing reliability even further, while maintaining read compatibility with DVD-ROM drives, DVD players, DVD recorders and other DVD writers An Ultra Dynamic Resonance Absorber reduces vibrations caused by impaired or low quality media that can affect performance during high-speed recording and playback
    The DVR-A07 comes bundled with a high quality software suite, and this should enable consumers to easily capture video and edit the footage, and also provides DVD authoring, writing and playback functionality.
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by LanEvo7
    Who cares, Dual Layer DVD burner's are comming out soon anyway.
    I'm with you,by the time my Optorite craps out on me the dual layer writers will be out...I hope.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by LanEvo7
    Does anyone know how the dual layer burners overcome the current need for dual layer DVDs to be pressed ?
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone know how the dual layer burners overcome the current need for dual layer DVDs to be pressed ?
    My guess is dual lasers, each on with it's own frequency and power output, thus allowing to burn either multiple layers or decreased groove size.

It's always been theoretical. I'm still surprised it's becoming a reality. Though I've not yet seen the demo of one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    a quote of a quote !

Thanks smurf.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    My guess is dual lasers, each on with it's own frequency and power output, thus allowing to burn either multiple layers or decreased groove size.

It's always been theoretical. I'm still surprised it's becoming a reality. Though I've not yet seen the demo of one.
    Happy birthday, jimmalenko.
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    pioneer and phillips have overcome the issue of burning on a dual layer dvds in a simple way:
    they have simply come up with disk with two layer, however between these two layers there is some sort of thin plate, this plate reflects the laser to the other layer.

im no expert on this issue, but this is how it basically works.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    even when the dual burners are available, i'll bet the media u use will be crutial, its bad enough as it is, can't even trust brands like memorex =/ it'll probably take awhile be4 some good media is made and possibly burners too.

i'm ordering a nec 1300a right now and i'm not worrying about dual layers for awhile

josh
    Quote Quote  
  13. My guess is dual lasers, each on with it's own frequency and power output, thus allowing to burn either multiple layers or decreased groove size.

It's always been theoretical. I'm still surprised it's becoming a reality. Though I've not yet seen the demo of one
    Now thinking back to when I was in college many many many moons ago, when DVD was just a sparkle in some young R&D's eye. I remember talking about the theoretical limit of how many "layers" DVD could have and the number 255 was bounced around as being the maximum number of wavelengths DVD could employ so as to have 255 distinct layers to work with. Using the widely known and used knowledge of how certain wavelengths of light can penetrate certain substances while bouncing off of others.

I think the only thing stopping them from doing it from the start was that it required a heck of allot of power to drive more then one laser using current technology, but now with the creation of more efficient lasers I think in the future you will see more and more multi phasic laser systems employed in DVD drives.

If this indeed becomes a reality DVD is in for a bright future indeed.

Infact I think that is exactly the route they are taking as last I heard holographic storage experiments were getting too expensive and showing little results lately, which leads me to believe DVD will be used as a stop gap until future holographic/nano drives become commercially viable.

- Jarin
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Mark my words
    1. There is no shrinking or decrypting application available now that will allow you to copy a dual layer DVD to this new dual layer burnable and still play on a settop..New wrinkles expected!
    2. There is now writing or authoring application available now that will write to the new 9.4 gig surface..Obviously when you buy such a drive a bundled and "lite" version of a burning app will be included
    (nero 6.00005 anyone?)
    3. Only this PIONEER DRIVE will write to
    DVD-R's that eventually burn at -8X...the forum better get off its ass and beat the plus guys to the store with 8X blanks..Altho' the reverse looks more likely!
    Quote Quote