VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a huge difference between the two because the 2.80 is a fair deal cheaper than the 3.0 in France. Also what is the difference between a 2.80Ghz and a 2.80 C Ghz Pentium 4? Thanks for any helpful replies.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Well, between 2.8GHz and 3GHz there is only 200MHz of difference, so not enough for you to notice unless doing exceedingly long encodes.

The difference between a 2.8GHz and a 2.8 C GHz is the FSB. The 2.8GHz will have a 533MHz FSB, but the C version will have an 800MHz FSB and also hyper-threading. Most encoding programs take advantage of the hyper-threading which makes the pc think it is running two processors, which can greatly increase performance.

In my opinion, for both money and performance, a P4 2.8C GHz is your best choice.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    cheers mate
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to see benchmarks between 2.8 and 3.0 you can get a lot of them at sites like http://www.tomshardware.com/. The short answer is that there is a difference, but in my personal opinion it isn't worth the extra cost (there's a big difference between 2.8 and 3.0 here in the US, too). You'll have to compare the prices in France and make your own choice, of course.

As I recall, the P4 chips with the "C" suffix have hyperthreading and a 200MHz FSB (which Intel calls FSB800). The non-C versions don't have hyperthreading and only run with a 133MHz FSB (FSB533), which is why they cost a little less. If you're getting a new processor for an existing machine get whichever one your current motherboard supports. If you're getting a new CPU and a new motherboard I would definitely go for FSB800.
    A man without a woman is like a statue without pigeons.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the tip sterno
    Quote Quote  
  6. Can an 800mhz fsb really help performance that much?? Will it make a noticeable effect compared to 400mhz or 533?
    Quote Quote  
  7. In my opinion...if you buy anything but 800FSB models you might as well buy AMD's Athlon XP models. heh
    It is that much of a difference.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Piccoro
    In my opinion...if you buy anything but 800FSB models you might as well buy AMD's Athlon XP models. heh
    It is that much of a difference.
    Yes, very true.

mujahid7ia, the 800MHz FSB performance does affect it very much. With 800MHz FSB, you get the hyper-threading feature, which works like a dual-processor system as I described. This means a lot faster encodes than a 533MHz processor. Plus you also get the increased memory speed.
    Quote Quote