VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Should I sell my 1 1/2 month old Sony DVD300 to get what I originally wanted to buy before I got excited about the DVD cam, a Sony TRV22?

I'm not editing with computer, just editing with my e80h panny dvd recorder through s-video input/output.

Is it worth switching. Will I get better quality?

What would you do?
    Andry
    Panny E80H & Sony DVD300 Camcorder
    Quote Quote  
  2. All Mini-DV cams will output higher quality video than any MPEG2 based system. Go for it. Go back to tape for your source material.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The MiniDV has better quailty as long as it stays DV. But usaully you either watch it through a lessor analog connection to your TV or convert it to DVD format(mpeg2) anyway when authoring on a PC. Iam looking at a MiniDV cam purchase next year and plan to edit the capture DV on my PC and render/burn to DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. go with dvd. You're going to convert it anyway. Much more convenient and if you go with the Panny M30 you can highspeed dub right into a E80.
    Very cool.
    Quote Quote  
  5. If you were editing on your computer, I'd tell you to definately go with the miniDV, but since you're not, it's really a toss up, so stick with what you've got.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys,

I'm gonna assume that the "Sony DVD300" you mentioned is a DVD Recorder,
    since you didn't quite say so

If you don't plan on taking Video home footage nor have any interest in it,
    I would just stick w/ what ya got :P

However, if you really want to get serious.., I mean serious about
    quality, then you might want to invest in an external device that will
    capture (transfer) via DV. ie, Canopus products
    This requires learning a new step - editing. And editing can be any number
    or combination of things.. from filtering to cutting to cropping to denoising;
    and then finally, encoding / authoring to MPEG-2 (DVD authoring)
    I would assume that the editing that you are performing on your DVD300
    is limited. So, bare the above in mind when deciding

So, it really all depends on what you want to do (or plan on doing :P based
    on your final decision)

-vhelp
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by scamp2032
    go with dvd. You're going to convert it anyway. Much more convenient and if you go with the Panny M30 you can highspeed dub right into a E80.
    Very cool.
    True, but conversions are not equal. I think that good miniDV 1Meg chipper will deliver better picture, although you can't argue the convenience. Ultimately, picture quality wins...

PS. going from miniDV-DVD cam to DV avi using Canopus is a strange idea. This was developed for those who don't bother with PC editing.
    Quote Quote