VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I see it has a component video input which seems to be real rare for DVD recorders.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I am working on list of DVD Recorders with all features and I see that Philips DVDR-75/17 has that too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    My theory on Philips recorders?
    Use them ONLY for the main reason you bought it....to record DVD's.
    They are (again...in my opinion) TERRIBLE DVD players and playing factory DVD's (again...in my opinion) is nothing but trouble to these machines. I have played ONE factory DVD and TWO SVCD's in my Philips DVDR 985 in the almost two years that I've owned it. It has NEVER broken down.
    I have also NEVER mucked with the firmware.
    Do not turn your new DVDR80 into a science project...experimenting with what it can and cannot play....it's a RECORDER....NOT A PLAYER.....THAT IS WHY WE BUY THESE THINGS.

(again...in my opinion)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a DVDR-80 and I think it's great. It has a built-in TV guide system which can give you some headaches but once you get it to work, it's a nice bonus.

The recordings are quite good. I use +RW discs and usually transfer them to my PC for removing commercials etc. Then I burn the movies/episodes etc. to DVD+R discs for archiving.
    I recommend you don't use the longer recording times (above 3 hours), the quality sucks just like VHS longplay does.

I haven't used any of the DV/cam/composite inputs but they're all there

Some people say it's an ugly looking machine but I really like the red glow around the record button when it's recording. When you record directly (no timer) the disc drawer also has a red glow around it.
    Whether you like this or not is of course a personal matter.
    Quote Quote  
  5. epinions.com has opinions too.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by hech54
    My theory on Philips recorders?
    Use them ONLY for the main reason you bought it....to record DVD's.
    They are (again...in my opinion) TERRIBLE DVD players and playing factory DVD's (again...in my opinion) is nothing but trouble to these machines. I have played ONE factory DVD and TWO SVCD's in my Philips DVDR 985 in the almost two years that I've owned it. It has NEVER broken down.
    I have also NEVER mucked with the firmware.
    Do not turn your new DVDR80 into a science project...experimenting with what it can and cannot play....it's a RECORDER....NOT A PLAYER.....THAT IS WHY WE BUY THESE THINGS.

(again...in my opinion)
    Yeah I have a Sony 400 disc changer for playpack plus I have on order the Bravo D1 single disc player with DVI out.

I'm interested in the Philips because of the component video inputs. I was thinking if I used this device http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=ShowProduct&kw=TVAVT3700&Q=&O=&sku=276839 I could scale up the outputs from either my VHS or Laserdisc player to convert/backup to DVDR thus actually improving the original recording in the process.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Supposedly you cannot improve apon a signal's quality just by placing to a DVD....all of the experts say it is impossible....HOWEVER...one concert video (see my avatar) I have was sent to a few friends of mine in VHS format...THEN they saw it in DVD format and all but one asked "Is that from the same tape(source)?"
    Again....my opinion....putting it to DVD did improve the quality of the picture in MY circumstances.
    It's refreshing to see SOMEONE - ANYONE who agrees with my theory of using the expensive DVD RECORDER to only record....saving wear and tear on the somewhat more expensive unit.
    Most people will stand and bitch every time their RECORDER doesn't play some silly SVCD that some guy sent him from Upper Slobobia somewhere....just because the owners manual says it will.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by hech54
    Most people will stand and bitch every time their RECORDER doesn't play some silly SVCD that some guy sent him from Upper Slobobia somewhere....just because the owners manual says it will.
    Would you please stop bitching about this already ? It is in your every post.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Reading the reviews at cnet.com seem to suggest that the R80 has better image quality than the R75. However, read the comments from users of this machine and you will find that 54% of them give it a thumbs down.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4505-6473_7-20847624.html?tag=search
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by piano632
    Reading the reviews at cnet.com seem to suggest that the R80 has better image quality than the R75. However, read the comments from users of this machine and you will find that 54% of them give it a thumbs down.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4505-6473_7-20847624.html?tag=search
    those cnet reviews need to be taken with a grain of salt (as they say)...you really need to read the comments and decide for yourself what the person is saying...some of these people will vote something thumb's down b/c they don't understand how it's supposed to work or because of their own misperceptions rather than whether the product's doing what it is supposed to do...there are some good comments every now and then there too
    "As you ramble on through life, brother, whatever be your goal - keep your eye upon the doughnut and not upon the hole."
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by donpedro
    Originally Posted by hech54
    Hey you little freaking weirdo....you send me a private message every day asking for advise...then you post CRAP like this?
    Go F%$$ YOURSELF
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by hech54
    Originally Posted by donpedro
    Hey you little freaking weirdo....you send me a private message every day asking for advise...then you post CRAP like this?
    Go F%$$ YOURSELF
    Whatever....
    Quote Quote  
  13. http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=cm_reviews_dp_seemore/602-9390732-3535009?asi...eviews&coliid=

So I see this Magnavox DVD+r/RW recorder also has a component video in and out and is a bit cheaper than the Philips.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I am not sure what the difference is but when you look at Magnavox web site, you will see that it is Philips

http://www.consumer.philips.com/global/b2c/magnavox/index.jhtml?divId=MAG&country=US&language=en
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by hetvarken
    I have a DVDR-80 and I think it's great. It has a built-in TV guide system which can give you some headaches but once you get it to work, it's a nice bonus.

The recordings are quite good. I use +RW discs and usually transfer them to my PC for removing commercials etc. Then I burn the movies/episodes etc. to DVD+R discs for archiving.
    I recommend you don't use the longer recording times (above 3 hours), the quality sucks just like VHS longplay does.

I haven't used any of the DV/cam/composite inputs but they're all there

Hi,
    How you cut out the commerical by transfer the +rw disc through your PC.
    Jimmy

Some people say it's an ugly looking machine but I really like the red glow around the record button when it's recording. When you record directly (no timer) the disc drawer also has a red glow around it.
    Whether you like this or not is of course a personal matter.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Hi
    Is it ok to show me how you can transfer the +RW disc to PC and cut out the commericals and join the clips together.
    Jimmy
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    Is it ok to show me how you can transfer the +RW disc to PC and cut out the commericals and join the clips together.
    Jimmy

Sure.

I found the following link very useful. I found it in one of the forums
    It's exactly how I do it:

http://www.dvdguideuk.dsl.pipex.com/dvdguide/editing1/editing1.htm

Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hetvarken
    Hi
    Jimmy

Sure.

Good luck!
    Oh...Loobster's Guide. VERY good guide if you have Ulead Movie Factory. Have used it myself from time to time. Highly recommended.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by hech54
    Hi
    Jimmy

Sure.

Good luck!
    Oh...Loobster's Guide. VERY good guide if you have Ulead Movie Factory. Have used it myself from time to time. Highly recommended.
    I do hope for your health's sake your DVDR80 is better than the 54% on cnet and mine. I have not been to cnet but I would guess their stories are like mine. My DVDR80/17 worked like a charm for 8 months or so. Then after four trips to the "authorized repair facilitys" is was returned with only four recording modes, not having the 2x or 2.5 hour mode and the M6 and M8 (not that I used them but they wern't there). I haven't tried to do anything but play a DVD as yet because I was sick at my stomach after the setup and seeing only the M1,2,3,4 modes were available. And, to contact Philips well if you live upstairs go out and pee off the balcony or in the wind as they say. You will get a better reply. They are out of the repair picture after they turn it over to joe shmuck's repair shop. And they talk niceabout how they will fix it up just fine, but mine is still broke. I personally wish I had never seen the Philips name, I would be $600 and many hours agrivation better off.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I have a 985....still going strong well over two years now....just recorded with it yesterday.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by roscoe999
    Hi
    Jimmy

Sure.

Good luck!
    I do hope for your health's sake your DVDR80 is better than the 54% on cnet and mine. I have not been to cnet but I would guess their stories are like mine. My DVDR80/17 worked like a charm for 8 months or so. Then after four trips to the "authorized repair facilitys" is was returned with only four recording modes, not having the 2x or 2.5 hour mode and the M6 and M8 (not that I used them but they wern't there). I haven't tried to do anything but play a DVD as yet because I was sick at my stomach after the setup and seeing only the M1,2,3,4 modes were available. And, to contact Philips well if you live upstairs go out and pee off the balcony or in the wind as they say. You will get a better reply. They are out of the repair picture after they turn it over to joe shmuck's repair shop. And they talk niceabout how they will fix it up just fine, but mine is still broke. I personally wish I had never seen the Philips name, I would be $600 and many hours agrivation better off.
    if you want two more cents on phillips, I have a DVDR80 that someone gave me to figure out for him -- this guy feels the same way - wishes he had never bought this unit...the manual is so unintelligable that it is almost useless, and the menus are, IMHO, well organized or user friendly..I can't comment on the quality of recording, but the usability of this thing between the menus and the manual is really low, again IMO.

I'm not sure if that improved w/ later models, but it would be worth checking out the manual online before purchasing..it's not quite the full story since you need to see if the manual helps you use the product, but it would be good to know if it even makes sense on it's own.
    "As you ramble on through life, brother, whatever be your goal - keep your eye upon the doughnut and not upon the hole."
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The newer Philips don't even have 1 hour mode recording any more. I like my Philips but I'm not an idiot....I would definately think twice before buying a new one.
    A friend sent me a DVD from a Pioneer Recorder and it reacted VERY well to computer software...just like my Philips discs do.
    I'd probably go Pioneer or JVC next time.
    Quote Quote