VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I dont have a DVDwritter yet, and the reason is some rumors that some companies will release firmware that will able the current dvd drives to burn dvd9 disks, is this true, plz state ur comments, so far ive only heard
    of one article concerning a Benq DVD drive http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8616 but ive never even heard of Benq here in Greece, im only familiar with Sony, Plxtor, Pioner, Toshiba, Nec etc and sutch big companies. And from those BIG companies i havent
    heard anything yet about sutch firmware, i tkae it theyd rather sell us new drives...bastards... if anyone knows anything it be nice to help me!!!
    Thanx so mutch u guys!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Never believe in such rumours. They are more likely than not wrong.

BTW, what was once ACER is now BENQ.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  3. Agreed, take em with a pinch of salt. Youre right even if they could they would like to sell us new drives, also it is though BEnq is drumming up publicity, it would be very difficult to produce such a different disc writing stratergy on a firmware upgrade, it would take alot of work to get it error free.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Burning dual layer probably takes different optics
    Quote Quote  
  5. Power consumption is also an issue as is laser calibration, it seems too much of an advance to achieve via firmware upgrades.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Considering it was a pipe dream until recently that dual layer burning was possible (it hasn't even hit the streets yet) I find it funny that these kind of rumors have already popped up.

Honestly, it's not so different than the people asking if they can burn DVDs on their CDRW. Anything is possible, but some things are extremely unlikely. This is a rumor that is spread by lots of wishful thinking (or maybe the drive maker needs to drum up sales).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Thorn
    Considering it was a pipe dream until recently that dual layer burning was possible (it hasn't even hit the streets yet) I find it funny that these kind of rumors have already popped up.

Honestly, it's not so different than the people asking if they can burn DVDs on their CDRW. Anything is possible, but some things are extremely unlikely. This is a rumor that is spread by lots of wishful thinking (or maybe the drive maker needs to drum up sales).
    Right, how many people show up here everday and say "SWEET guys! I just got my BENQ burner!" At the same time I do hope its true, would be sweet indeed... hrm.. maybe I should buy a BENQ...
    Quote Quote