FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Before that happens
    Before what happens?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by presto
    I agree that playing a very out of balance disk often might damage the drive but I think the idea that a label that is "slightly" out of alignment is going to cause a DVD not to play is an urban legend.

Originally Posted by presto
    Before what happens?
    Originally Posted by johns0
    Before that happens dvd/cd`s that have wobble in them to begin with will do more damage then that,why do you think some cd/dvd`s freeze and stutter(not counting bad burns)?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have always used labels, CD's more then 6 years, VCD's more than 4 yeras, DVD's about 2 years, never had one fail yet or peel off, but I am picky on the labels , I only use the very thin Photo glossy labels from meritline, 1st of all they are very thin, 2nd the photo glossy look makes them look store bought, matted or paper finish looks like crap.
    Even get the full DVD boxes and print a full DVD cover on glossy photo paper also, I have gotten hundereds of these Boxes from Blockbuster cause they just throw out the original cases the DVD movies come in, I still have a pile of over a hundred left from the last 200 I got from them FREE.
    Quote Quote  
  4. "Photo glossy labels from meritline"

Do you a link to the exact labels you're talking about?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by vtecwil
    Please tell me the theory behind your views that sharpie ink eats through the 0.6 mm thick layer of polycarbonate and destroys the foil recording layer of a DVDR .
    There is none, it is not possible. I believe this reasoning may come from writing on CDr's where the recordable layer has no, or very little protection on the top of the disc (I would still question a sharpie damaging these). But as you have stated DVDr's have their recordable layer sandwiched between 0.6mm polycarbonate plates. You would need nitric acid to eat through that not a sharpie

As far as labels go, it seems to be a combination of the media used, the type of label used and the DVD player to play the disc as to whether you will have playback problems. You may get a combination that works, you may not.

Labelling problems have been discussed in this thread, which goes back almost a year.
    https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=138166

Someone mentioned that the labels help the DVD retain more heat which causes the playback problems. Seems a feasible theory to me. If you really want nicely labelled DVD's the best option is to print to them directly using a CD/DVD printer.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I can not account for the problems that others seem to have with labels on DVDs. I use the Memorex system and after many, many DVDs have had no problems.
    Here is what I do: Make sure that the DVD is good from tip to tail(watch it or use a verifier). Print the label and make sure that it is completely dry(if using ink jet). Apply the label using the Memorex applicator tool(I use discarded clear plastic discs to press the DVDs). Carefully examine the disc with the label to make sure that it was properly applied. Works for me every time. It ususlly takes about 10-20 min to completely dry a label.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The hub label sounds interesting. I dont think I've ever seen one, or at least never paid any attention if I had. Where could I see an example of a hub label on a dvd. And what do most people put on these labels ? Movie title, I assume, if there is room for it.
    Coffee makes you happy.....Except when it messes you up
    Quote Quote  
  8. [quote="Craig Tucker"]
    Originally Posted by vtecwil
    Someone mentioned that the labels help the DVD retain more heat which causes the playback problems. Seems a feasible theory to me.
    Why? I can't for the life of me think of any reason why (even if it were true) that if the area under the label was warmer there would be a read problem. Can't be the thermal coefficient of expansion of the substrate, as I'm sure it's been chosen to have a very low coefficient, and any temperature differential would be very low.
    Quote Quote  
  9. [quote="pbanders"]
    Originally Posted by Craig Tucker
    Originally Posted by vtecwil
    Someone mentioned that the labels help the DVD retain more heat which causes the playback problems. Seems a feasible theory to me.
    Why? I can't for the life of me think of any reason why (even if it were true) that if the area under the label was warmer there would be a read problem. Can't be the thermal coefficient of expansion of the substrate, as I'm sure it's been chosen to have a very low coefficient, and any temperature differential would be very low.
    http://www.sanyolaserproducts.com/dvd/faq.htm
    But because DVDs are more susceptible to heat than CDs are
    http://www.addonics.com/support/faqs/faq-mobile_dvd_rrw.asp
    Even the slightest degradation of the edges of the bubbles due to UV or heat exposure can ruin a DVD-R
    http://www.whitedog.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=329
    Due to labelling of DVD causing heat problems
    Quote Quote  
  10. I say just be careful. I bought meritline labels for my personal media, you won't believe the quality, it is the worst i have ever seen. To be honest, i believes labels will ruins discs and had ruins mine. 1. wont play back, 2. skip disc, 3. killed the disc' dummy layer, 4. (incase you put the wrong labels, DON'T try to take the label off, or else you will dill the disc)
    CoolRain
    :D.:D
    http://www.backuptapemedia.com
    It is not all about Money!... Have fun!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Labels won't ruin disks that have a protective coating (i.e. white backed disks or the ones that have the makers logo on them). The ones that they can potently ruin are the silver baked ones, the ones that have no protective coatings. You can actually see thru these disks and can even scratch the foil off the back of them. I suggest staying away form these cheap disks.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by FT Shark
    Labels won't ruin disks that have a protective coating (i.e. white backed disks or the ones that have the makers logo on them). The ones that they can potently ruin are the silver baked ones, the ones that have no protective coatings. You can actually see thru these disks and can even scratch the foil off the back of them. I suggest staying away form these cheap disks.
    For CD's yes. Not for DVD's though.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Used em once & learnt my lesson, haven't used em since.
    "The software said Win XP or better, so I Installed Linux"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Note that the CASIO CW-50 dropped in price $79.00

this thermal priner prints
    a rectangular strip on NON-PRINTABLE cd or DVD media

100% safe
    doesn't require special discs..and when you get it you can relable all you burns already done!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have been using both lables and printable DVDs. I do transfer work for customers who want to transfer their VHS/video tapes to DVD and other copy work from PC's. Blank sharpie DVD just dont cut it for the customers, has to look semi professional at least if you are going to charge them.

Experience with lables are that if I print them up before applying is where I had many prblems. I have the most problems with them...such as going on straight and/or air bubbles and other alignment prob's when the paper lable is printed prior and wet. This cause the bubbling on the paper due to the ink densitie varies from dark and light areas. Solution I use now is that I apply the lables on the DVD prior to ink printing but after the DVD has been burnt. No problems with labeling at all now even with cheap memorex refiller packs. But u'll need a DVD printer to do this. I use a Epson PS900. The only prob with the Epson printer is the color reproduction is not as good as on my older HP printer.

Prob using pure ink jet DVDs are that 1st they are more expensive then reg DVD. 2nd prob with them is the quality of the cheaper generic printable DVD have been very bad for me (1 outa 5 may burn 100% error free). 3rd , the ink on the DVD are not waterproof. It will smear when they come in contact with moist items like fingers (sweat) etc. Had a few return from customers and had to put a extra coating step on them to protect them. Just wasnt worth the effort and time so I just use paper labels now for all the work I have to do.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DTSL06:
    Have you tried any of the hub labels? I only ask that out of all the posts we send back and forth on this topic, yours is the only one I have seen where labeling is not a prefernce, but has a direct relationship on your business (i.e. customer satisfaction).
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Tommy,

I use labels cause the customer expects the product to look professional, especially when I charge for the service and product. I give them the option of having labels or not and at least 95% wants labels. I tell them all the protential prob's and they decide. I also can provide them both a labeled and non label disk if they desire. So far after 8 months of provoiding label end product, the only ones that have come back were few ealier printed ones and the smeared ink ones. Since I started putting the lables on prior to printing I have not had one returned yet after about 4 months (~200+).

Yes the labled DVDs do get a little hotter and may after many years cause prob's, but for what my customers want and and since many are short term/ time presenations...labeling seems acceptable. But I used paper labels on many of my own DVD's and they have held up very well. But I always keep master copies on HD and I re-burn new ones every few years anyway or as the DVD wears out. I had more unplayable DVD scratched up and made unplayable then ones cuase by paper labeling...

I dont use hubs since the customer that want labeles always want nice colour art work on the disks.

Note: from my own experience I am only rec printing after labels have been applied.

Now if only I could afford a professional silk printer for the DVD's... 8)
    Quote Quote  
  18. You can use markers that are made specially for writing on discs, they dont bleed through like sharpie's, also might help if you write on it after burning

I never had any problem with labels, if you get them on straight then you will have better luck, but I've given up just hearing the problems others have had.
    Quote Quote  
  19. You can use markers that are made specially for writing on discs, they dont bleed through like sharpie's, also might help if you write on it after burning

I never had any problem with labels, if you get them on straight then you will have better luck, but I've given up just hearing the problems others have had.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Satanking wrote " You can use markers that are made specially for writing on discs, they dont bleed through like sharpie's, also might help if you write on it after burning " . Sharpies do not bleed through plastic ! If that was the case the ink would run out of the barrel of the pen long before you used it .
    Keep it on the big cam !
    Quote Quote  
  21. I figure ehy take the chance with paper labels. A maker and a stencil last much longer and are more economical.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by Gazorgan
    I have 96 totally ruined CDR's from a CD holder. Yep, you know the black case with sleeves for your CD/DVD's? Seems the liner was made from an acetone solvent, and not very well. So, every disk has acetone pits and glue spots.
    OMG! I'm crapping my load right now. I have some CD-Rs with very valuable content on there, that I was hoping to archive in the cases that I've bought.

What was the brand name of the case and how long till you noticed the problem?
    Quote Quote  
  23. I got a question about sharpies, I need a new marker for my CDrs and I have been using the TDK CD Marker that came with my drive but I have also used sharpies on my older cds and they seem pretty good still for being made in 2000-01. The cdrs I buy are Verbatim and TDK, they already have labels on them right out of the spindle, are they safe to write on with sharpies? Because I hear people saying it will affect it only if you write DIRECTLY on the disc.

And how would alcohol "eat" through it, A evaporates VERY quickly. Leave a drop of Al. on your desk and 1 minute later its gone.
    I really dont want to plop down 5.00 for a marker if a good old 1.00 sharpie is fine.
    A bird in the hand is worth a foot in the tush-Kelly Bundy
    Quote Quote  
  24. dtsl06

would you mind sharing with us what you charge for your vhs to dvd conversions. I have searched the net, looked at local companies and what i am seeing is that they are charging
    $40-$60'ish for a straight transfer of 1 hour of vhs. I am charging $15'ish for 2 hour tape with chapters and motion menus?

Just curious what your going rate is and how you came up with it.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Yup.. if the label is not good quality you can expect it to curl and and cause problems. If its not centered correctly the disc will vibrate. Thats why I got the R300 epson and love every disc I print with it.
    Quote Quote  
  26. What about the burner or speed. Could these two play a factor in this topic? Does slower burning raise a higher chance of better playback? Does a good quality burner has an effect on better playback versus a cheap burner. Just curious; it wouldn't hurt to ask. Or what about the less transparent the dvd-r is the better. Is there a different rating in the lasers that each brand of dvd that is manufactured?
    Quote Quote