VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. I can't use as they are because Cool Edit 2000 won't be able to recognize it. It only recognizes .wav format.

Thanks anyway,

J. Silva
    Quote Quote  
  2. DereX888, would you please look at thread: https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=258807
    Someone just told me that it is impossible to edit a compressed file. First i have to decompress it and then i can edit it. If this is true, that's what i was doing in the first place, remember ? I mean encode it to .wav and then edit at Cool Edit 2000.

J. Silva
    Quote Quote  
  3. Will this work if I wanted to put music videos and audio on the same dvd disc. So when I put it in a dvd player I have the option to watch videos or listen to music.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, it will work, if you read through the whole thread and get the parts about making it DVD-Video compliant and authoring as DVD-Video.

The idea is that even though you're defining one thing as "Music Video clips" and another as "Background Audio (Music Only)", if you're playing on a compliant settop--as most all of you are--you need to set it up to work along the lines of how the player expects to see it.

That is, it defines the 1st thing as "MPEG2Video+LPCM/AC3/MP2Audio muxed in a VOB file-Title1" and the second thing as "MPEG2Video+LPCM/AC3/MP2Audio muxed in a VOB file-Title2", with the 2nd title video being a black still or something, and maybe that title would be subdivided into "Chapters" (~songs). You would probably also give a greater percentage of allocated bitrate to the video portion when dealing with Title1, and to the audio portion when dealing with Title2.

Clear as MUD, right?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. for blank/black picture: Max=150kbps, Min=10kbps
    Why would I need to use a variable bitrate for a black picture that doesn't change?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    AFAIK, it shouldn't matter, you can do a CBR or VBR encode. VBR just saves filespace for same bitrate/quality setting.
    Personally, that sounds someone's encoding the black/blank/still as video, and I prefer to encode them as MPEG stills (I-frame). Saves even MORE space. Only thing it doesn't have is "transitions" and I usually couldn't give a $#!T about that.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    exactly
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This guide is AWESOME !!!

Thank you very much for sharing it with us. I read it about 1 year ago but I never did any Audio DVD. I just saved your guide in .mht.

Today, I read it again and did a little test with some CDs in a DVD-RW and it worked perfectly well. So now, I decided to put the whole discography of my favourite band in dual layer DVDs (DVD-9). More CDs in one DVD !.

All the best,
    Gonzalo
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Your welcome, gonzalo76

For DVD9 burning I would add a small and usually well-known tip (just in case someone forget about it, like I did few times )
    Create an ISO image of your DVD9 disc, and when burning it with ImgBurn use "seamless" option. This will prevent from occasional hiccup in the playback on some standalone players when they switch from one layer to another.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DereX888
    Your welcome, gonzalo76

For DVD9 burning I would add a small and usually well-known tip (just in case someone forget about it, like I did few times )
    Create an ISO image of your DVD9 disc, and when burning it with ImgBurn use "seamless" option. This will prevent from occasional hiccup in the playback on some standalone players when they switch from one layer to another.
    Well, that's a really useful information, I didn't know it !

Many thanks for the tip (and for the guide)

All the best,
    Gonzalo
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi again,

Just one question:

With live CDs, I couldn't use separate tracks because of the micro-gap between tracks, you know what I mean?
    I had to join all the tracks with Sound Forge, and then used single dvd track option in TMPGEnc DVD Author and separate the tracks (chapters) one by one to avoid the gap between tracks.

With studio CDs there is no problem because a silence is already present between tracks.

So, do we have to rip the live CDs in one big wav file, right?
    With separate tracks, we'll hear the micro-gap between tracks.
    Is this correct?

All the best,
    Gonzalo
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    There must be something wrong with settings in your audio ripping software.
    If your original CD doesn't have any "gaps" between tracks then obviously you shouldn't have them once you dumped it as WAV tracks.

Its not 'normal' and something in your process is creating/adding it, I can assure you. I have recently made compilation of few classical concert CDs on a DVD and there are no gaps between each track (chapter) on my disc, the only "gaps" are where they should be (when albums change).
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If your original CD doesn't have any "gaps" between tracks then obviously you shouldn't have them once you dumped it as WAV tracks.

Its not 'normal' and something in your process is creating/adding it, I can assure you. I have recently made compilation of few classical concert CDs on a DVD and there are no gaps between each track (chapter) on my disc, the only "gaps" are where they should be (when albums change).
    You're correct.

I used foobar2000 to play the WAV tracks and they did not contain any gaps.
    But when I use Windows Media Player, the gaps between tracks were there.
    Since foobar2000 is a gapless media player by default, that's why I did not hear any gaps between tracks.
    Something is wrong in the ripping process I guess, I'll check the EAC settings and see where the problem is.

Many thanks for your reply !

All the best,
    Gonzalo
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gonzalo76

You're correct.

I used foobar2000 to play the WAV tracks and they did not contain any gaps.
    But when I use Windows Media Player, the gaps between tracks were there.
    Since foobar2000 is a gapless media player by default, that's why I did not hear any gaps between tracks.
    Something is wrong in the ripping process I guess, I'll check the EAC settings and see where the problem is.

Many thanks for your reply !

All the best,
    Gonzalo
    I am sure EAC does not add any silence to the end of the tracks when you're ripping CD to hdd.
    Perhaps WMP is just adding 'gaps' when you play them from a playlist, but there are no actual gaps on an authored disc?
    I don't know, but perhaps that's the "proper" behaviour of this player (nothing weird from Msoft would ever surprise me)
    Try playing it on something else and see.
    Or open your WAV files with any editor and visually check are there any silences at the end?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM

I am sure EAC does not add any silence to the end of the tracks when you're ripping CD to hdd.
    Perhaps WMP is just adding 'gaps' when you play them from a playlist, but there are no actual gaps on an authored disc?
    I don't know, but perhaps that's the "proper" behaviour of this player (nothing weird from Msoft would ever surprise me)
    Try playing it on something else and see.
    Or open your WAV files with any editor and visually check are there any silences at the end?
    Yes, EAC does not add any silence to the end or the tracks. I always use EAC and I know how to use it. But I thought a wrong configuration could be the problem, but it wasn't.

I played the files with foobar2000 and Winamp and they did not contain any gaps between tracks.
    I opened the WAV files in Sound Forge and they do not contain any silence at the begining/end of the songs.

So, I really don't know what's going on. I start to think that maybe my DVD Player could be the problem. I have a Pioneer DV 373.

Many thanks,
    Gonzalo
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gonzalo76

So, I really don't know what's going on. I start to think that maybe my DVD Player could be the problem. I have a Pioneer DV 373.

Many thanks,
    Gonzalo

Gonzalo, I would say it is the player's behaviour.
    I reread your posts and I understand now you have a playback problem, not that you get silences added to your actual tracks anywhere.
    One of my friend's players, a somewhat "dumb" standalone dvd recorder (I think the first Panny with hdd, or one of the first models IIRC) did exactly same thing: kinda "paused" for split of a second between each track during playback. But it did so on a standard CDDAs too.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM

Gonzalo, I would say it is the player's behaviour.
    I reread your posts and I understand now you have a playback problem, not that you get silences added to your actual tracks anywhere.
    One of my friend's players, a somewhat "dumb" standalone dvd recorder (I think the first Panny with hdd, or one of the first models IIRC) did exactly same thing: kinda "paused" for split of a second between each track during playback. But it did so on a standard CDDAs too.
    Yes, it's the player's behaviour !

I joined all the live tracks with Sound Forge, the result was a big wav file.
    Then, with TMPGEnc DVD Author, I added the big wav file (Add file) and then edited it in Edit clip > Chapter cut edit.
    Now the songs did not contain any pause between them when I played them in my DVD player.

I would say that my problem is solved ! :P

Many thanks for your help.

All the best,
    Gonzalo
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you could also use AUDIO DVD CREATOR http://www.audio-dvd-creator.com/ --- Really useful little app, though it is not free... but it is cheap.

Features:

* Put several (about 5-6) Audio CDs on one DVD with perfect audio quality.
    * Put thousands of audio files on one DVD with top audio quality.
    * Create DVD menu automatically.
    * Create up to 99 DVD titles.
    * Burn the Audio DVD to DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW directly.
    * Create the Audio DVD to hard disk files.
    * Output format is DVD-Video compliant, so that it can be played by any DVD player.
    * Rip Audio CD to WAV files, and import them to Audio DVD directly.
    * Import 96kHz/24bits WAV files, and keep the superb quality.
    * Import Windows Media Format(.wma, .wmv, .asf), Real Media(.rm), OGG, FLAC, AC3 and AVI files via DirectShow Filters.
    * Preview shows an overview of your Audio DVD.
    * Save/Load your project, and edit it anytime.
    * Blazing fast speed, only need about 30 minutes to create a PCM format Audio DVD. For AC3 format, it may need several hours.
    * Easy to use: the wizard will guide you step by step - very suitable for beginners!
    * Create Audio CD.
    * Import AC3 5.1ch or AC3 2ch files, and export them to Audio DVD without quality loss.
    * Use Matrix Mixer to convert 2ch audio input to AC3 5.1ch output.
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BJ_M
    you could also use AUDIO DVD CREATOR http://www.audio-dvd-creator.com/ --- Really useful little app, though it is not free... but it is cheap.

Features:

* Put several (about 5-6) Audio CDs on one DVD with perfect audio quality.
    * Put thousands of audio files on one DVD with top audio quality.
    * Create DVD menu automatically.
    * Create up to 99 DVD titles.
    * Burn the Audio DVD to DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW directly.
    * Create the Audio DVD to hard disk files.
    * Output format is DVD-Video compliant, so that it can be played by any DVD player.
    * Rip Audio CD to WAV files, and import them to Audio DVD directly.
    * Import 96kHz/24bits WAV files, and keep the superb quality.
    * Import Windows Media Format(.wma, .wmv, .asf), Real Media(.rm), OGG, FLAC, AC3 and AVI files via DirectShow Filters.
    * Preview shows an overview of your Audio DVD.
    * Save/Load your project, and edit it anytime.
    * Blazing fast speed, only need about 30 minutes to create a PCM format Audio DVD. For AC3 format, it may need several hours.
    * Easy to use: the wizard will guide you step by step - very suitable for beginners!
    * Create Audio CD.
    * Import AC3 5.1ch or AC3 2ch files, and export them to Audio DVD without quality loss.
    * Use Matrix Mixer to convert 2ch audio input to AC3 5.1ch output.
    BJ_M, I wrote this guide when there was *NONE* app like that on the market
    I was hoping my idea would 'caught on' back then with some of the popular burning apps, but at that time none of them was even remotely interested (Ahead, Pegasys, etc), alas few months after publishing this guide here on vcdhelp first commercial app have appeared
    Sure nowadays one can use any of the many apps that do that, you didn't have to remind me that... yet IMHO its still nice to be able to do it for free (as described in this guide) and that's why I haven't removed it, even though it is somewhat useless nowadays.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Free is good not useless, boss. Leave er rite thar.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since this topic has come back to life...

I use GuiForDVDAuthor's Audio titleset option.
    (I haven't used Audio DVD Creator, but I suspect it uses basically the same method -- except GfD is free.)

It takes AC3 (or wave, or MP2) audio, adds an image (it generates a simple editable text titlecard, and you can use an image of your own as background) and makes a single-frame MPEG, with very little overhead on the AC3. Then uses that to author a standard DVD video.

I looked into the process it uses, and made a batch file using GfD's utilities that combines a PNG image with an AC3 track (made using Aften) to make an MPEG you can drop into a standard DVD video project -- this enabled me to have chapters, which GfD's audio titleset doesn't (yet) support

AC3-MPG.bat
    Code:
    @echo off
    echo Create PAL MPEG from AC3 and PNG (same rootname)
    echo PNG should be 720x576
    echo Usage: ac3-mpg file.ac3 or *.ac3

@if %1X==X goto END

:LOOP
    for %%A in (
    %1
    ) do (

mkdir "%%~pA\AudioMpg"

"P:\GUI4dvdauthor\png2yuv.exe" -n 1 -I p -L 0 -f 25 -j "%%~dpnA.png" | "P:\GUI4dvdauthor\mpeg2enc.exe" -f 8 -q 1 -b 5000 -a 2 -o "%%~pA\AudioMpg\%%~nA.m2v"
    "P:\GUI4dvdauthor\mplex.exe" -M -f 8 -o "%%~pA\AudioMpg\t%%~nA.mpg" "%%~pA\AudioMpg\%%~nA.m2v" "%%~dpnA.ac3"
    erase "%%~pA\AudioMpg\%%~nA.m2v"
    "P:\GUI4dvdauthor\insnav.exe" -o "%%~pA\AudioMpg\%%~nA.mpg" "%%~pA\AudioMpg\t%%~nA.mpg"
    erase "%%~pA\AudioMpg\t%%~nA.mpg"
    )
    SHIFT
    @if %1X==X goto END
    @goto LOOP

:END
    It would be easy enough to extend this to accept MP3 or wave, using Aften or ffmpeg to do the conversion.
    Quote Quote