VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. This is my first post and first of all I just want to say what a great website this is!

I'll be getting a Sony DRU510A for Christmas and I'm researching the best software to use. It seems like DVD Shrink in conjunction with NERO is the most popular combination, however I have Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum w/DirectCD already installed and from what I've read this has to be uninstalled before installing Nero. I only use Easy CD Creator to back up files with DirectCD. I wouldn't mind uninstalling it, but unfortunately Nero's InCD won't work with CD-Rs, and that's what I use.

So...What is my best option? I'm hoping that during the Nero installation process you're given the choice to not install InCD, and therefore remove the compatibility problems with DirectCD. This way I can still use DirectCD (I know people have problems with it, but once the patches are installed it works fine for me.) and the DVD Burner in Nero. Will this work? Does anyone have any other suggestions, because I don't want to lose the ability to copy files to CD-R. Thanks for the help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Although I only own the older V5.5x of Nero, & can only speculate on the latest version 6.x, you definitely had the option of installing each app.,(ie: Nero burning rom & InCD),seperately, they are obviously two different types of applications.

Undoubtedly, you should also be able to right mouse click & choose to explore the CD & find the individual Folder files on the installation CD & run the individual setup proggie of Nero burning rom if you're that worried too!

Hope that advice helps!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nero and Roxio are not compatible. Sure, some people get it to work, but the majority can't. There's a very specific order that you have to install them in to keep it from barfing. For me, it's not worth the effort, just use INCD.
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan
    Quote Quote  
  4. Just say "No" to Packet writing SW. It is a resource hog and no Compatibility between SW companies. Mount Ranier was supposed to replace this but it hasn't gotten any traction.

RG
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the replies! Sorry, but I'm still confused. I thought that the conflict between softwares was with DirectCD and InCD, and not the entire package. Although DirectCD may be a resource hog, it's not always running so what makes it so bad? InCD won't burn on CD-Rs, so it's a last resort for me.

Mount Ranier sounds interesting, but from what little I've read about it since you mentioned the name is that it's supposed to be implemented with the operating system. Maybe Microsoft plans to release this with their next operating system, Longhorn?

I don't know what to do! How should I back up my files without InCd or DirectCD? I apologize for all the questions.
    Quote Quote  
  6. What is wrong with using ECD Creator and making a multi-session data disk?
    Make sure you don't close the disk. Use Mode1/XA for the best error correction.

RG
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just out of curiousity, didn't you say you would be getting a DVD Burner for Christmas? INCD may not be able to work with CD's, but you could back up your system with DVD-RW's once you get your new burner.

Although I could have sworn that INCD does work with CD-R's as well.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ez-cd and nero are incompatable, however i think nero has a patch that will allow both, you have to choose at boot which one. never tried it.

direct cd IS compatable with nero. i ran nero 5.5.?? and direct cd with not problem but when upgraded cd burner, my old ver of dir. cd would no longer be reconized by direct cd
    Quote Quote  
  9. What is wrong with using ECD Creator and making a multi-session data disk?
    Nothing, except for the fact that I've never heard of this before. Thanks, I'll look into it!

INCD may not be able to work with CD's, but you could back up your system with DVD-RW's once you get your new burner.
    I have a huge collection of CD-Rs and they're still useful, although I will use a rewriteable DVD of some sort +, -, +-, ROM, etc. to backup files on my hard drive, I have no idea what to use and need to learn why there are so many different DVD formats. It seems confusing, but I'm sure there's a reason for it. CD-Rs are more disposable because they're so cheap and files can be given to friends.

Although I could have sworn that INCD does work with CD-R's as well.
    Unfortunately it doesn't. I downloaded a .pdf file from Nero's website and it mentions this.

snafu099, thanks for the heads up on the patch! I'll look into that as well. By the way, your username is similar to someone else's on another website. Do you own a turbo Civic?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do not own civic and only other forum is iz-board for ads idvd.

if your ver of direct cd see's your burner then it should work as long as you do not install in-cd but just nero
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks, I'll give it a try after Christmas. If something bad happens, I'll just reformat and start fresh!
    Quote Quote  
  12. I believe INCD only works with R/W media -- not R media. Definitely works with CD-RW, not sure about DVD+-RW or RAM.

I personally quit using "packet writing" software, as it requires that software to be installed on other machines where you'd like to read the CD and not all "Packet Writing" software is compatible with another's format. It is also slow and required formatting of the CD-RW disc prior to use. It has also caused instability on several occasions. In general -- it has been a real bother.

I just use a regular burn of my files to CD-RW media without finalizing. That way I can add files as required. I can also erase and re-use. Definitely easier and more flexible in addtion to meeting my requirements.

Also -- I believe XP supports Mt. Ranier -- although I am not 100% sure of that.
    Quote Quote  
  13. The one exception I found to the packet writing s/w,reading,(on other computers), was NTI CD Maker's packet writer, it did NOT need any reader s/w intsalled to see the files,(they could be read,albeit in CAPITALS font/format), & I think were limited to the old 8.3 filesize convention.

But as previous posters have noted, you'd be much better off just burning what you'd need as normal data CD's. No extra stuffing around.
    Plus,as I understand it, Nero's InCD can have problems with WinXP unless you disble XP's in-built s/w,(due to XP's s/w being based on Roxio's).

If you search around the downloads for NEro's site there is a patch, but they again really suggest you either go with one or the other.
    Quote Quote  
  14. When the time comes, I think I'll just completely uninstall UnEasy CD Creator. BTW, there's an option to close the cd to be read on all drives when using direct cd. I've also read about a problem that Easy CD Creator doesn't properly uninstall. Is this leftover garbage pretty easy to find in the registry, or is there some kind of trick or program that will clean it out before installing Nero?

I'll just use CD-RWs and DVD-RWs, then save the CD-Rs for backing up games and music. Thanks again for all the help!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Another site that provides some handy user forum experiences & info on Nero & co. is here http://club.cdfreaks.com/index.php?s=
    Quote Quote  
  16. Thank you, but I just uninstalled all my Roxio/Adaptec software and bought some DVD+RWs to use with Nero INCD. BTW, for those who are interested, Comp USA is selling Memorex 25 packs for $22! I know Memorex isn't the best, but I'll just be using thses for data anyway.
    Quote Quote