VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Any word on when the new DVD+/-RW's are coming out along with the new burners? The 9.8gig or whatever the size is. I read about a week ago in the afterdawn.com newsletter they got it approved from the FCC or whatever company regulates that stuff. Anyways just wondering
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No idea but nice avitar !
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone think we're going a little ga-ga here

We're happy making VCDs, SVCDs, we get DVD burners, get a prog to make a backup, get another program to make backups of dual layers, and now we can't wait to get a real dual layer burner.

Just keep buying the latest tech. "The old way is not good enough anymore." I want this because it's here.

4.3 gigs is not enough?

What idiots we all are. Personally, I think you/WE are all stupid for buying this stop gap stuff.

Next week they are going to announce that, after we buy the 10, 20, 30, 40...90 gigabyte drives and enough of the blanks, they are going to make the 250 gig 1 1/4 inch burner and disks,and they will be a buck a bushel.

Jesus Christ, 4.3 gigs isn't enough!!!????

Edit: I meant WE. I've bought it all, also.
    Quote Quote  
  4. who was it that said 640k is all you would ever need..... 5 years from now people will be complaining 28 gigs is not enough and my 1tb drive is to small lol
    Quote Quote  
  5. Frankly speaking, 4.3GB (or 4.7 GB it doesn't matter) is not enough for some particular purposes.

The major one is Data backup / Archive for servers. If optical media can replace the tapes which do not allow direct access and cannot be kept for over 10 years without worry ... it would be nice. Actually my boss did ask whether the DVD can be used for backup for better accessibility. However, the 4.x GB is simply too small for it to be useful. I would say at least 100 GB per disk should be the minimum (as of today) for it to compete with tapes. But of course, it must also be very fast (~100 GB / hr).

I agree that for normal home user, chasing the technology is of no point. However, for commercial sector, the technology (if properly used) may make the company more competitive. They may have no choice in this cruel world if they have to survive!

Just my HO.
    Keith
    Quote Quote  
  6. What idiots we all are. Personally, I think you are all stupid for buying this stop gap stuff.

I'm curious to know why this bothers you so much.

People buying the "latest and greatest technology" happens all the time. It is no different than someone buying the new model car every two years, or someone buying that new kind of butter because it is 33% less fat, then switching to the new 33% less salt one two months later.

Calling people "stupid" for wanting these things seems a little closed-minded.

People like to have new things. Why is that so bad? Why does this bother you so much? Not trying to insult you. Just curious.

LG
    Quote Quote  
  7. You can never have enough space!!! 4.3 or.7 is not enough at all. That's why you compress movies. I want to make a 0% compression copy of my movies so I don't lose any quality. Not a thing wrong with that. People always want faster, smaller physical size and more data crammed on one storage device when it comes to computers. That's how it is and always will be.
    What idiots we all are. Personally, I think you are all stupid for buying this stop gap stuff
    You're an @$$ for that comment and I don't think anyone should ever answer any question you ever ask in this forum. If I was an Admin or Moderator I would flat out ban you from this site all together. You offended ever person who visits this site for information or share ideas. Your entire post doesn't make sense. You upgrade your computer ever couple of years, faster processor, video card etc... Same this as storage. If nobody wanted more space we'd still be 5.25 floppies that can barely hold a word document by todays standards and using 33Mhz processor with "Turbo" buttons that boost them to a whopping 66Mhz. I would try to offend you but you can't use those words on this site and it's not really worth it. It be like talking to a brick wall

I'm done ranting now. 8)

You are forgotten gmatov
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think his reponse is valid, but I think he is an idiot!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Bill Gates said it. That's why we have 640 KB of base memory.

And Thomas Watson, of IBM fame said he could imagine a need for, at most, 5 computers in the whole world..

And, 100 years ago they were seriously considering closing the patent office because everything that COULD be invented HAD been invented.

So they were wrong. That doesn't mean we're totally right.

Don't get ME wrong. I edited my post above to read, more or less, as it should have in the first place. I'm as guilty as the rest of you. I've fallen for the sales pitches, too.

I'm up to DVD burner, 2400 processor, 512 Meg DDR, 400 + Gigs of HD space. 2000-512-420 this machine.

And I'll probably buy the next gen burner, too.

But we still, some of us, buy on the increment, immediately buying the next step up.

And I doubt very seriously that I'll re-backup all my shrunk DVDs because the bitrate is 10 or 20% lower than it could be on a dual layer.

Doing them again on DVD because my VCDs, SVCDs are not as good quality as a shrunk DVD is different, as is having them on 1 disk instead of 3 or 4. As well, there is a better chance they'll play on a machine somewhere I might visit.

And too, we'll have a new topic open up. "I'm making dual layer coasters! What am I doing wrong?"

Cheers,

George
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I think his reponse is valid, but I think he is an idiot!

I am cut to the quick.

That you should make such a response after I backed you in the other thread.

Bad, jgandara, bad man.

Cheers,

George
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you know the term evolution? Don't upgrade your computer and see what happens.

Newer programs/peripherals are designed to exploit the most of PC capabilities, at the cost of suing more memory, disk space and cpu processing.

Look at windows, people think that everything should be free. But all those bells and whistle are not for free. If you want your computer to play videos, music, you need more space and memory.

That's how technology works; the obsolete rate is higher than other things. And if people buy these things during this gap, that's what they want, we are in a economy of consumerism. Thanks to us stupid people you can buy a cheap burner, TV, DVD player and even a computer.

Also people would buy these things to fulfill an immediate need, for backup or because they want to transfer their old videos to something more durable. Other would buy it for novelty.

Sp the next time you can affort to but some gadget, thank us all the stupid people
    Quote Quote  
  12. ok i know who said it, i was just making a point, anyways everyone always wants more than they have so that is why we evolve technology advances blah blah blah
    Quote Quote  
  13. I have to put my 2 cents in here (well $0.028 AUD, to make $0.02 USD); I am just now backing up my small businesses data on our newly purchased DVD burner (Pioneer), and I can't fit all our data (mostly word docs, pdf's, and occasional jpgs), onto one DVD-R, I have to use 2. So sure, if there were dual layer burners out there, I would most likely purchase one (after they become reasonably priced), to make things easier on ourselves. Does that make me idiot? I forsee, that as our data base increases in the future, and we move into video storage, we will need even more space, possibly the blu-ray technology that is coming out.

My point is that as technology progresses (in this case, storage increases), we progress as well. Which comes first is a matter of open debate. :P

Furay.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    jgandara,

You missed my reply where I said I was in the same boat as you. I am just as sstupid, but I wait till "economy of scale" has brought the price down to where I, personally, feel it is worth it. I do not buy the item upon announcement, and many of the posters here are clearly doing that when they post, "I heard this, when and where can I buy it?"

I ust go to bed now, but rest assured, I'll be back tomorrow.

Cheers,

George
    Quote Quote  
  15. Now the biggest point which dont seem to have been mentioned is will these new writable duel layer disk play in our old standalone dvd players or will we have to upgrade them as well......
    Personally i find it its very hard to notice any diffrence in a backed up film when played back on our 32 inch widescreen. So i for one wont be rushing out to buy a new dvd burner, disks etc just so i can have more back-up space.
    As hard disk sizes are jumping up at a allarming rate these days when will there be a 120 gig disk or will we all be using 120 terrabyte disks by the time they are avaiable....
    Not bothered by small problems...
    Spend a night alone with a mosquito
    Quote Quote