VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Does the pioneer 106d backup original movies onto DVD+R?
    I just cannot get it to work with ANY/CLONE DVD using Verbatim +R.
    It works fine on +RW.

I read somewhere that Pioneer 106d is a great drive but it writes to +R in a non-std format that is not readable in most commercial drives.

Has anyone had successful experience using the Pioneer 106d with DVD+R? If so what DVD backup software are you using and what +R media?

I also have a NEC 1300A ... much cheaper drive and it works excellent on all software and all media, including +R. At this stage i would recommend the 1300A to anyone who wants a low-cost burner that can outperform the big boys out there.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Yes it will burn fine to DVD+R. I'm on a Mac but I do have the same Pioneer you have ( it works straight out of the box in both platforms ) and I've burned plenty of DVD+R with it and Toast. I think the PC equivalent is Easy CD & DVD Creator. One thing though the Pioneer will not be able to read the DVD+R once there burnt. It will play fine on your laptop DVD Player but Pioneer can only read DVD-R.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Vintageman,
    Bugster has already told you it's a BS.
    You either have a defective drive or an older firmware or its just the Mac.
    My 106 reads any DVD+R as its supposed to...

valentine,
    Update your firmware, dont use CMC media, use the latest Nero, RecordNow Max/DX, DVD Decrypter to burn
    You stop me again whilst I'm walking and I'll cut your fv<king Jacob's off.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Maybe your right I haven't updated to the latest drivers because if it ain't broke don't fix it but maybe this is a feature of the 1.0.7 drives ( mine is 1.05 ) I'll have to check it out. Thx!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hey Tompika are you sure about DVD+R reading? I just read the tech page on it and it says it only reads DVD-R. Maybe I'm missing something. It can write to DVD+R but it can't read from DVD+R is what I'm understanding and I know mine can't read it. I'll look again!
    Quote Quote  

6. You stop me again whilst I'm walking and I'll cut your fv<king Jacob's off.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hey tompika your right it does read DVD+R but not on a Mac.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks guys ... now i'm more confused because some say it does read/write DVD+R whilst others contend it.

I'm running an IBM Thinkpad on Win XP Pro with the pioneer 106D in an external case. I doubt OS or PC brand has anything to do with the Pioneer 106D being unable to burn DVD+R in a format that can be read by most commercial DVD players, let alone itself !!!

Is it possibly firmware ???

Maybe i should just continue with my NEC 1300A. It seems far more versatile and definately compatible with all media DVD +/-R & +/-RW.

If anyone can provide assistance then thanks again ...in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hi Valentine,

Like you , I have a 106D DVD writer since a few week and I have got problem to copy with DVD+R (DIsc-at-once error with NERO).
    I upgraded the firmware to the 1.07 version and I use now CLONEDVD instead of NERO and my problem is solved !!!

Olivier.
    Quote Quote