Page 3 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    ...fingers crossed...
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  2. Unfortunately I can confirm Philips findings concerning the problems with composite/PAL.

I can see flickering coloured borders around sharp edges when using the Pioneers tuner, which are absent when using the tuner of my Sony TV (which has analogue-only circuity for the video signal).

Initially I had the impression that the Pioneer tuner was superior to that of my Sony TV because the Pioneer tuner showed less noise, not noticing the coloured borders and also not noticing that the noise removal was traded in for loss of detail.

Toggeling DNR has no effect on my unit also, so I suspect this is a regular "property" of the Pioneer.

To the good I may say that I didn't notice the composite/PAL processing problem unil pointed out by Philip. In normal film scenes it is almost not apparent, at least not on my old Sony TV.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi, well I suppose unsurprisingly things didn't go too well. I still think its feasible though.

Basically I tried the new 200GB western digital hard drive. Got the same message as someone else has mentioned ie. error invalid hard drive info.Tried resetting factory settings with the disc I've got, still no joy.

The good news is it was no problem putting the machine back together and its working fine again.

Also tried to have a look at the hard disc. First of all it wasn't recognised as a usuable drive by windows. I suppose thats no surprise. I used partition magic 8 to see what it said about the drive. It recognized the drive was there but marked it as BAD. I presume therefore the file sytem method is not a standard recognised by windows xp ? Might try with paragon drive back up which claims it can duplicate unknown files sytems and theres a free 30 day trial. Not that knowledgable about this sort of thing. Can anyone offer any useful suggestions ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hello all (well anyone whos interested)

Had a go with paragon hard disk manager. Unfortunately didn't even specify the drive as "unknown" file system. Just said invalid. Anyone know how to get around this.

Thought about using winhex to form an iso but I felt a little frightened in case it wrote to the disc and stopped it working

Heard from someone else whos managed to get hold of a sevice manual that a service remote is probably going to be required. Hmm ! Doesn't sound like this is going to be easy
    Quote Quote  
  5. Withdrawn
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    PhilipL Wrote
    Hello all (well anyone whos interested)

I am very intrested, please keep us or at least me posted as to how things go. I just don't have any thing to add.
    Thanks Mike.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks for the info Philip

More stuff on the subject

As far as HDD capacity is concerned the DVR 5100 is delivered with 3 different HDDs all of size 80 GB, but who knows installing a larger one might be worth a try.

The snag is the procedure itself. You need to input a so-called CPRM ID No. which requires the additional service remote GGF1381 (I've only found one internet reference to this remote, and that from somebody else who was looking for it too!). I'm sure a Pioneer service centre would have such a device but .... not really in their interests to lend you such a thing.

A fellow enthusiasist is emailing the service manual. I'll post again if I get any information on programming a third party remote to function as a service remote

PS if anyone is interested in the cd.iso of the pioneer disc which I have then notify me,its compressed to about 60mb . I have it somewhere on the web
    Quote Quote  
  8. Progress seems to have halted for a while as it seems to be pretty difficult. Am going to await the arrival of the manual which may take a week .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The pdf is on the Pioneer site.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  10. As far as I remember its just the commercial manual not the service manual which is on the pioneer site ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's about 102 pages - I think I got the link from one of Donpedro's posts here, but deleted it as soon as I got mine.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thanks for the download. Can't be sure but I still don't think this is the manual that someone is sending me. The manual I am being sent is more orientated towards servicing the recorder. I could be wrong but the parts I've been emailed so far don't correspond to this manual i've just downloaded. I'll emal it later on when i get a paper copy
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by launter
    Thanks for the download. Can't be sure but I still don't think this is the manual that someone is sending me. The manual I am being sent is more orientated towards servicing the recorder. I could be wrong but the parts I've been emailed so far don't correspond to this manual i've just downloaded. I'll emal it later on when i get a paper copy
    You can get service manual ..... Nice ! Those are expensive and not easy available, right ?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Well I don't know how the guy got it but he seems to have done. I'm having a photocopy done I think mailed from Europe. It may take a few days but I'll keep you informed
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And you'll be scanning and distributing it accordingly, won't you?
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  16. The more of us on the case the better
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The more of us on the case the better
    Great, launter, I think same as you. Hope you can use your 200GB western digital hard drive.
    My great concern till now is how to record the date and time from my DV cam (like the Philips DVR75 does). The manual says it's not possible...
    Any ideas?

Regards
    Franklin
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by launter
    The more of us on the case the better
    :
    Keep the great work up launter you will get there in the end. There is a lot of intrest for everbody who has a 5100 to crack this, I'm sure somebody has the answer out there.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Hello, long time no see. Well I have a lot on at work and unfortunately no time to devote to the project anymore. I did however receive the service manual today. However I am not willing to spend the time scanning it in. Anyone interested contact me but it would have to be a long time member of the forum as many just want the goods without wanting to put anything into the project. As for putting a new hard disc in, the service manual says that after you have replaced it and you receive the hard drive error you need to go to the disc setup menu where an option appears to initialise the new hard disc. Whether this would work with a bigger hard disc I don't know

cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Destroyer
    The hard drive is a Western Digital 80Gb
    I don't have any bigger IDE drives lying around so I can't check the behavior when adding something else (yet).
    By happy coincidence, I've just bought a 200Gb WD drive from PC World - on offer at £109.

Hmmmmm....... what to do next?
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by recorders4u
    Hi All

One of my users, in a Danish language only forum, tried to replace the harddrive in his DVR-5100H. But with no luck so far.

The original disk fitted are a Western Digital 80GB 5400rpm:

He tried with a Seagate Barracuda IV 120GB 7200rpm. The unit spins up the disk, but then says "HDD ERR" in the display. Onscreen its said something like "Invalid HDD Info".

From my point of view, it looks like the unit is shipped from Pioneer with data about the harddrive fitted and doesn't allow harddrives with other data to be inserted.

/Lars

Anyone tried to just initialize the new disc in the "home-menu-->Disc Setup-->Initialize HDD"? It's an option that usually not are there but if something should happen to the filesystem the option is visible.

Try it and let me know....i wan't a bigger disc too
    Quote Quote  
  22. Hey, if you need the GGF1381 remote. there is someplace around that actually sells it.

I found it right here:

http://www.partsolver.com/Product.asp?InventoryID=13020185&SubstitutePart=0&OrgPartNum...artMfg=Pioneer

hope that helps out.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by ceder
    Can somebody recomend a brand of DVD-RW media for
    this recorder? (just bought the recorder)
    Ive used Verbatim, TDK, Infiniti and Zero-Defex and all work 100%.

The Zero-Defex are the cheapest discs I've tried @ 90p each.

The only disc problem I ever had was with a silver unlabelled disc referred to by the supplier as "Clone Disc". I dont know if thats the brand name or just a generic term. Anyway I lost one of the chapters after editing it. I couldnt read it and thought I'd lost it forever. I then tried the disc a few days later and there was the "lost" chapter back again. Ive not had a problem with any other disc. However I'll be avoiding "Clone Disc".

HTH

B R
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Has there been any update on someone attempting to initialize a larger hard drive in the Pioneer 5100 (510) ? This thread seems to have been just left behind...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't try in the end - 17 hours at max quality is more than enough for me.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FYI. There are two types of copy protection on dvd and recently produced commercial vhs, macrovsion and CGMS/A. Macrovsion is easy to defeat with cheap black boxes like sima to record to vhs. CGMS is responsible for the "cannot copy" messages when trying to record to dvd and is a bit more difficult to defeat. External TBC will defeat it (eg datavideo TBC-1000) or some hacked players available on e-bay. I haven't looked in several months but there have been apex units hacked to defeat both macrovsion and CGMS. (Make sure this is specified in the description before bidding) BTW, I am very happy with record quality of dvdr-7000 and am holding out for dl record capability before purchasing another dvd recorder. Also I believe it records audio in pcm in highest quality setting, 1 hour mode
    Quote Quote  
  27. CGMS is fairly easy to defeat, although not all correctors do it. All one has to do is clear the bits on video line 20. I've done is on an old Sima corrector that only cleared Macro but not CGMS. It's fairly easy to do electronic-wise. Most TBCs clear CGMS because they clear all the info on all the video lines during vertical retrace.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I notice also this topic has been left behind, but hopefully someone can answer this ...

Is it possible to fit a hard disk (of any size - 80GB or more) into the Pioneer 3100 (or in US the 310) [the copy of the 5100 which didn't have the HD installed]?

Do the right cables/connections exist within the 3100 to allow an HDD to be fitted ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I doubt it very much.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote