VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Just an afterthough, if anyone is still watching this thread, how many tuners does it have - i.e. is it possible to record from two sources at the same time?
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hey all, nice to see people are trying to do something with this machine. I am also planning on buying 2 of these machines (one for me, one for my dad). I wondered if anyone already tried to put in a bigger HArddisc in this machine instead of the 80 GB. Is the OS the 5100HS uses on the harddrive or is it on the main hardware. Or would it be possible to make a Ghost image off the HD and put it on a new bigger HD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't know if it applies the Pioneer, but I've read articles about upgrading SKY+ boxes:

Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can somebody recomend a brand of DVD-RW media for
    this recorder? (just bought the recorder)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi All

One of my users, in a Danish language only forum, tried to replace the harddrive in his DVR-5100H. But with no luck so far.

The original disk fitted are a Western Digital 80GB 5400rpm:

He tried with a Seagate Barracuda IV 120GB 7200rpm. The unit spins up the disk, but then says "HDD ERR" in the display. Onscreen its said something like "Invalid HDD Info".

From my point of view, it looks like the unit is shipped from Pioneer with data about the harddrive fitted and doesn't allow harddrives with other data to be inserted.

/Lars
    /Lars

http://www.recorders4u.com - DVD recorder specifications
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe you have to replace the HD with one of the same model.
    I did a google search for "western digital wd800lb" and found some.
    Thanks Mike.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Don't they use some special formating ???
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hi !

Has anyone tested the following :
    Cloning the partition from the original WD hd to another hd, and then replace the hd with the new one ? (still cable-select pins)

Maybe the 'bad hd info' meens that somewhere on some sectors, some info about the hd are expected and were not found.
    Maybe a sector editor would help finding the sector/offset the info is written.
    The problem would be to find this info and then decode it (which info, which meaning, etc....)

Cybertof.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hello, everyone bought one of these myself. Thought about opening it up myself but was a bit nervous after spending £600. Was encouraged by the first post. So I did so a few days ago

I have also been interested in the above ideas

Initially I wanted to make it region free. I attached the pioneer dvd recorder to my laptop via USB conversion cable and got the following info from the drive info program

DISCINFO VERSION : 1.5.5.9
    VENDOR : PIONEER
    MODEL : DVD-RW DVR-106X
    REVISION : 1.03
    VENDOR SPECIFIC : 03/09/26 PIONEER
    LOADING MECHANISM : Tray
    SERIAL NUMBER : Removed for -privacy
    NUMBER VOL. LEVELS : 256
    BUFFER SIZE : 2000KB
    INTERFACE : ATAPI
    RPC2 SCHEME : YES
    USER CHANGES : 4
    VENDOR CHANGES : 4
    CURRENT REGION : 2
    ANALOG AUDIO PLAY : YES
    COMPOSITE OUTPUT : NO
    DIGITAL PORT-PORT1 : NO
    DIGITAL PORT-PORT2 : NO
    READ UPC CODE : YES
    MULTISESSION READ : YES
    MODE 2 FORM 1 : YES
    MODE 2 FORM 2 : YES
    READ ISRC CODE : YES
    READ BAD CODE : NO
    BUFFER UNDER-RUN : YES
    MT. RAINIER : NO
    CAN READ CDR : YES
    CAN READ CDRW : YES
    CAN READ CDRM2 : YES
    CAN WRITE CDR : YES
    CAN WRITE CDRW : YES
    CAN TEST WRITE : YES
    CAN READ DVD-ROM : YES
    CAN READ DVD-R : YES
    CAN READ DVD-RW : YES
    CAN READ DVD-RAM : NO
    CAN READ DVD+R : NO
    CAN READ DVD+RW : NO
    CAN WRITE DVD-R : YES
    CAN WRITE DVD-RW : YES
    CAN WRITE DVD-RAM : NO
    CAN WRITE DVD+R : NO
    CAN WRITE DVD+RW : NO
    MAX CDR READ SPEED : 15
    MAX CDR WRITE SPEED: 7

Its interesting it says NO to reading DVD+ discs, as we all know it does so
    <- ->

Basically I was hoping to save the firmware so that I could upload to anyone that was interested in making it region free. Even purchased a pioneer DVR-106 to see if that would work. In the meantime however I have solved the problem by purchasing a pioneer cd which makes it region free without any effort. Only cost £13 rather than the £100 most companies seem to want to charge.

I wonder if its possible to manipulate the firmware so that it records to DVD+ since the drive is capable, I have so many spare + discs it would be useful. They also seem to be more compatible with my other dvd players.

Would like to do as others have suggested and replace the disk with a larger one. Has anyone connected it up to a PC yet and examined the contents and format type. We need a definitve test don't we with the same type of drive, with the same spec except for the size. Anyone game ? I'm sure someone must be able to solve the problem
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Out of curiosity, where did you buy yours from? I bought mine from www.superfi.co.uk for £600 multiregion.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  11. Didn't really do enough research at the start to go outright and buy a multiregion one. Bought mine from http://www.svcdirect.co.uk/svcdirect/ for £585.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Withdrawn
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I get the same sort of stuff when I connect my Philips DVD player to the TV with cheap component cables.

Splashed out on some gold scart leads for the Pioneer and the picture is brilliant
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  14. Withdrawn
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can't really say I notice a difference between live and recorded.

Here's my set-up.

NTL cable box--->SCART--->Pioneer--->TV

There's no direct lead from the cable box to the TV - the only other inputs to the TV are from another DVD player and an RF aerial (via the Pioneer).
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  16. Withdrawn
    Quote Quote  
  17. Withdrawn
    Quote Quote  
  18. Withdrawn
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did anyone try hooking up the 80gb harddrive from the dvd recorder on their pc to see if it could be read?

Is it possible that the harddrive could be locked and have a motherboard key? (such as with xbox)
    Quote Quote  
  20. Going to have a go after the weekend when my new western digial 200GB harddrive comes. I have a USB ide conversion cable and will be taking a look at the harddisc
    Quote Quote  
  21. Withdrawn
    Quote Quote  
  22. Heres the relevant bit from that subject page. Quote from deepdown

"I have heard from the Pioneer team that the player:
    ..has a unique code which it detects the HDD, so by removing the HDD and trying a bigger HDD the dvd-recorder LOCKS UP, you have to insert a "reset CD (?)" to unlock the player. That also is the same with the dvd-recorder which is inside. (correct me if i'm wrong) "

Hi, thanks for the interesting reply. I have a cd which I bought for the purpose of making my recorder region free. This resets the recorder back to factory settings. I wonder if it will work for new hard disc ? I suppose I'm going to try. Its worked for the region. Feel a bit nervous, I suppose theres not much that can go wrong ?Still waiting for the hard disc to come
    Quote Quote  
  23. Withdrawn
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I thought I'd want to swap HDs to but then once I started using the Pioneer I realised that even with the best settings you can still get 17 hours of video. More than enough when you consider that you can burn one hour segments at high speed to DVD and then edit then on PC.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  25. Here are the electrical specs for the 2 drives

for the 200gb

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=724&p_created=1037288845

for the 80gb

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=709&p_created=1037284274

they don't seem too different. The only time the lager disc seems to draw more power is on spin-up. What do you think, I'm no electrical whiz. To start off with I'll use an external supply though.

As for the 48-bit LBA addressing, is that not the standard nowadays, is there any reason pioneer would use say a 28-bit LBA address (correct me if I'm talking rubbish here). Why use an older technology when it wouldn't nessarily be easier ?

Any advice would be appreciated before I go out and trash my machine ?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Withdrawn
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Out of curiosity.............

The mantra that gets repeated to anyone who is capturing to HD using a PC capture card is that the HD must be defragmented. Yet, I've failed to find any set-up screen that would allow this to be done on the Pioneer. Maybe if there is such a 'maintenance' screen, it would also hae other HD utilities like 're-format' - there is such a thing on SKY+ boxes, so is there one on the Pioneer?
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  28. Withdrawn
    Quote Quote  
  29. Well I'm going to have a go so you can tell me I told you so if my recorder breaks. I don't see why it would do and I'm sure reinserting the original drive would rectify any problem.

Also I'm sure you could comprehend that pioneer could overlook or at least not bother too much about people hacking the recorder. If it works I doubt it will have a significant impact on sales. It has happened to hard disk recorders in the past and also many other devices such as the Playstation or the Xbox. In fact most devices that have been backed by a suffcient incentive have been hacked in some form or another.
    Quote Quote