VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. I've written quite a bit in this forum about what one of the "hard drive" recorders such as the DMR-E80H can do, so I figured I might be able to help people comprehend what they can do with one of these things a whole lot better if I showed everyone how they work. Mainly, I want to show the editing stuff, but I might as well cover some of the other important features, too. So, without further ado, let's dive in:

1. DMR-E80H Setup.

Mainly, you have to go into the FUNCTIONS screen, and go to the SETUP screen.

You then want to navigate to the DISC section, and set the DVD-R COMPATIBLE REC setting to ON.

This is what will allow you to use HIGH SPEED DUBBING to dub your video to DVD-R discs without re-encoding.

thoots
    Quote Quote  
  2. 2. Timer Programming.

Once you've got the machine set up, it's time to record some video. Just hit the RECORD button at any time, and you'll be recording onto the hard drive. You can choose the various picture quality settings -- all you'll see in this guide will be the "best quality" XP speed.

One handy way of getting video onto the thing is using the program timer to record stuff, so let me show you that. Here's a list of a whole host of recurring programs I've set up on my machine:

Here's what it looks like when you go into an existing item or start a new one. Note that you can set it to record to the HDD or to the DVD drive, and the RENEW option is one that deals with "recurring" programs -- with the RENEW option on, it will just record over the previous recording you made, unless you have protected it. If that's the case, or if you've deleted the previous recording, it will just record onto the remaining disc space. Or, of course, you can set the RENEW to "off," and it won't record over any previous recording.

Here's what the list looks like if you've set one to RENEW:

thoots
    Quote Quote  
  3. 3. The Disc Navigator.

Once you've got some programs recorded on your hard drive, this is what you'll use to browse through your them, and ultimately work with them when you want to edit them. Press the DISC NAVIGATOR button, and you'll get a list like this:

The little "lock" icons at the left of some items means they have been "protected,: so you won't be able to record over them.

Here's the DISC NAVIGOTOR MENU that you get when you use the "right arrow" button on the remote control:

This gives you access to a whole host of useful features. For instance, just go into the PROTECTION item, and you'll get this screen:

I usually "protect" programs after I've edited them and got them ready for dubbing over to a DVD-R. Here's the PROPERTIES screen, which gives you information about the program you've highlighted:

You can TITLE your programs -- if you've set up a timer recording, you've probably already given that a name, but if you're just recording from scratch, or if you want to change the name of a program, you'll go in here:

One of the basic concepts of this screen is that you can use your remote control's "number" buttons to go to the row numbers shown -- for instance, to get to the letter "F," you can just press the "3" button three times, and then press the ENTER button. It's actually pretty quick and easy to use this screen.

thoots
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    EDIT - question answered.

Thanks
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  5. 4. Editing Functions.

OK, so here's where we really get into the meat of what a DMR-E80H can do. Again, we're just using that DISC NAVIGATOR MENU to get into these functions. Let's use a recording of the Late Show with David Letterman to work with these functions.

OK, so first of all, I want to break out the interview David had with Dustin Hoffman as a separate "program." So, I'm going to go into the DIVIDE PROGRAM function from the DISC NAVIGATOR MENU, to cut the show in half, right at the point where the Hoffman interview begins. Here's the screen I get:

Basically, you just navigate to the exact point where you want to divide the program, and press the remote control's ENTER key to trigger the on-screen DIVIDE button. Before you do that, you can choose the PREVIEW button to make sure it looks how you want, and then choose the DIVIDE button to make the cut. You'll get a confirmation box, like this:

Go for the DIVIDE button, and you've made your cut!

Now, I want to make a second program with the first part of the Letterman show, so I'm going to go highlight it in the DISC NAVIGATOR MENU, then go into the SHORTEN SEGMENT function. I just want to keep the Top 10 List bit, which features some of our troops in Baghdad actually doing the list. Here's the SHORTEN SEGMENT screen:

It shows, down at the bottom, that I navigated to the very beginning of the program (0:00.00), and set it to START the cut there, and then I navigated to the beginning of the Top 10 List segment, and set that for the END of the cut (0:20.05).

OK, let's take a break and talk about this word "navigate" I keep using. The DMR-E80H has a number of ways to move through video on the hard drive. You've got FAST FORWARD and FAST REVERSE, with four different "speeds," all the way up to 100x faster. You can WHIP through video with these. Similarly, you've got SLOW MOTION forward and reverse, with four different speeds. You have FRAME ADVANCE forward and reverse, and it'll keep on advancing as long as you hold the buttons down. There's a CM SKIP button that'll take you one minute forward -- usually something you'd use to zip through commercials. There's even a TIME SLIP function, where you press the button, then advance through any number of minutes you'd like to zip forward to.

Bottom line, ALL of these navigation methods are at your disposal when you use the editing functions of the DMR-E80H. For instance, if you just want to edit out commercials, you can zip to the beginning of a commercial break, and then use the SLOW MOTION and FRAME ADVANCE controls to get right into the point where the show "goes to black." Just pause the video right there, and make that your START point. Then, zip to the end of the commercial break, and, again, get to the point where the commercials "go to black" before the program resumes, and use that as your END point. Yes, folks, you can make your edit points THIS PRECISE, both quickly and easily.

So, back to my example, where I've set my START and END points. The machine moves to the NEXT on-screen button -- push the ENTER button on the remote to choose that, and it will give you another confirmation box:

I'll tell that to go ahead and ERASE, and that first twenty minutes of video will be gone. I'll then repeat this procedure to lop off the end of this segment -- all the way to the end of the video, prior to where I divided it for the Hoffman interview.

Finally, I'll go ahead and give each segment a name -- here's the screen where I named the Top 10 segment:

thoots
    Quote Quote  
  6. 5. Dubbing.

Once I've got a DVD-R full of stuff ready for dubbing, it's time to get a DVD-R made out of that stuff. The first thing I'll need to do is "unprotect" anything that I have "protected," as the machine won't allow me to dub it if it's "protected." So, it's back into the DISC NAVIGATOR, and I'll wind up with a confirmation screen like this:

Also, here's a VERY IMPORTANT STEP. The resulting DVD will have "chapter points" at the beginning of each of the programs I'll add to the DVD, but the machine WILL NOT MAKE ANY OTHER chapter points. However, I CAN tell the machine specifically where I want any other chapter points -- I just need to go through each program, and press the MARKER button on the remote control. So, here's where I would go through each program, and use the MARKER button to add any "chapter points" I'd like to add to my programs. This is the only scenario (HIGH SPEED DUBBING from the HDD to a DVD-R) where the DMR-E80H will allow me to make my own "chapter points" wherever I want on a DVD-R.

OK, now we're ready to go. So, now I'll get into the FUNCTIONS menu, where I can choose the DUBBING feature:

And, that'll get me into the DUBBING screen:

As you can see, it's already set to go from the HDD to DVD-R. Yes, it's best to load your DVD-R up BEFORE you get into this screen! And, you can see that it has automatically selected the HIGH SPEED recording mode. So, all I have to do is move the cursor down to the big box in the middle of the screen, and press the ENTER button, which will let me browse through the programs on the hard drive, and choose which ones to dub over to the DVD-R. Here's that screen, after I've chosen two short segments:

I pretty much just keep on pressing the ENTER button through the process. In the above image, the highlight is on the "blank" entry below the two Letterman segments. So, I just press the ENTER button, which gets me into a kind of "mini Disc Navigator list," as shown here:

This is the SELECT PROGRAMS screen, which will actually play through each program as you highlight each one. When you decide that the program is indeed one you want to add to your dubbing list, you just press the ENTER button again.

Finally, after repeating this to assemble my list of programs, I wind up with a full list like this:

And, as the screen says down at the bottom, PRESS RETURN TO SAVE. When I do that, I'm back into the DUBBING SCREEN, with a few of the programs on the list showing:

I'll highlight and press the START DUBBING button, and that'll yield the following confirmation box:

And then, I'm under way! This is the progress screen I'll get:

So, you can see that you've got a good idea of how long the dubbing will take. Bottom line, I'm recording a DVD-R.

thoots
    Quote Quote  
  7. 6. Finalizing.

Once I'm done with the dubbing process, I can FINALIZE the DVD, so it can be played back on most DVD players out in the world. So, it's back into the FUNCTIONS menu, where I can choose the DISC SETTING function:

And, that yields the DISC SETTING screen, where I can give the DVD-R a title, choose how the menu will look, and start the FINALIZE process:

So, let's give the thing a title, eh? How about this:

And, the TOP MENU option lets me choose from nine different background colors and backgrounds. I like the "number 7" one:

OK, so now I?m set to FINALIZE the thing, and finish my DVD-R. So, I tell it to FINALIZE, and get a confirmation box:

I've always used the XP quality setting, and finalizing has always taken 4 minutes. Your results may vary! So, I say "OK" to this, and get yet another confirmation box:

Yes, YES!! Let's go!! So, I'm finally finalizing:

And, four minutes later, I'm done:

So, I'll just press the RETURN button, and the DMR-E80H will start loading the DVD-R, just like any DVD player will load up a DVD. And, here's what my shiny new DVD's menu looks like:

Yep, no "picture thumbnails," and maybe you might call this "boring," but I'd say "it gets the job done just fine."

So, that's a look at how the DMR-E80H functions, how you can edit on it, and what your ultimate result might look like. I hope this will help folks who are considering getting one of these "jump off the fence and get one," as I'm VERY happy with mine, and I'm getting real work done with it every day!

thoots
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks I really apprecate this info. I have to get one of these, and give up trying to use my computer. I am quite familier with Go-video dual VCRs, and this looks like I can deal with it. I take it your happy with yours, right?
    Thanks Mike.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mike,

Yes, I have both a Panasonic DMR-E50 and a DMR-E80S, and I am very happy with them, keeping them both churning away daily!

thoots
    Quote Quote  
  10. THOOTS- what an amazing tutorial...you have single handedly solved my problem. i was literally torn between the Sony rdr-gx7 and the Panasonic DMR-E80H. well, it sounds like the hard drive makes this the class act of machines! thanks again for this great thread of info!!
    Quote Quote  
  11. does the quality suffer if you copy to the hard drive first and then to a dvd-r???
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hi

New to all of this technology !

I have just purchased a Panasonic DMR E50 - We finally managed to set it up with a TV, Video & Sattelite box - (P.S user guide is useless had to ask a friend for help !!)

Just wondered what I need to do to record from VCR to DVD and what cables I need to buy etc ?

Can anyone help me please ?

(also the very impressive "document" for the DMR- E80H most of that looks familar for the DMR E50 can I use that too ?)

Cheers k:
    Quote Quote  
  13. Katebos, I don't want to be rude, but what about creating new post with your question and not trying to stear discusion off-topic
    Quote Quote  
  14. Sorry had no idea how to do that ..... I did look & didn't find it that obvious, I thought my question related to the one I posted too.

The website is not that easy to use - if you prefer I can ask elsewhere
    Quote Quote  
  15. in the first picture i see DVD video is turned to off does that make any diference and i like the simple way you set this up
    jo
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Katebos
    Sorry had no idea how to do that ..... I did look & didn't find it that obvious, I thought my question related to the one I posted too.

The website is not that easy to use - if you prefer I can ask elsewhere
    Click here and then click new topic
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by jobedo1
    in the first picture i see DVD video is turned to off does that make any diference and i like the simple way you set this up
    jo
    Thanks! The "DVD-Video" setting just refers to whether the machine will show any "video" content that might be on a "DVD-Audio" disc. I don't have any "DVD-Audio" discs, so I didn't change this from its default "off" setting. And, apparently the setting doesn't even "stick" -- it'll return to "off" if you change the disc or turn the machine off.

So, it really has nothing to do with this "recording video" stuff we're talking about...

thoots
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Katebos
    Just wondered what I need to do to record from VCR to DVD and what cables I need to buy etc ?

(also the very impressive "document" for the DMR- E80H most of that looks familar for the DMR E50 can I use that too ?)
    Actually, the second question does refer to this thread, so let me answer that. And, might as well toss in one sentence in regards to the first question:

Page 43 in the DMR-E50 manual shows the connection you need -- just use the "audio/video cable" that's included (yellow/red/white connectors), unless you'd like to go spend some money on a "better" set of cables.

And, in regards to the second question, yes, many of the screens shown above are virtually the same in the DMR-E50. Setting the program timer, using the screen to name discs and programs are all the same, and the final "naming the disc" and finalizing the disc are essentially the same, except that the E50 lacks the "top menu" screen choices -- you just have one default menu look that you can't change.

Hope this helps!

thoots
    Quote Quote  
  19. This is a great tutorial! Its too bad the manual isn't that simple. I can see why alot of folks would get frustrated and take it back. I love my E80. It has replaced six video recorders and is a workhorse![/list]
    Quote Quote  
  20. Thoots, Thanks for the time & energy you put into this great guide. Best source of info I've seen to date on the e80. Quick question, when you dubbed the leterman shows onto the hdd in high speed does that indicate the speed of the drive i.e. 4x, or is that the quality i.e. xp, sp, etc...

Otherwise, I'm not sure how I would set it to record say 2-3 full 40 minute episodes of a current tv show. Didn't seem like it offered any other choices.

Finally, what swung your decision over to the e80 instead of the pioneer's (if you considered them at the time), i'm still on the fence between which unit to purchase.

Kzod
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by kzod
    Quick question, when you dubbed the leterman shows onto the hdd in high speed does that indicate the speed of the drive i.e. 4x, or is that the quality i.e. xp, sp, etc...

Otherwise, I'm not sure how I would set it to record say 2-3 full 40 minute episodes of a current tv show. Didn't seem like it offered any other choices.
    First of all, thanks for the kind words! I thought this might help!

Secondly, to answer your question.... The answer is "Yes."

The "Recording Mode" lets you choose from "High Speed" as well as the usual XP / SP / LP / EP modes, plus FR, the "Flexible Recording" mode. So, "High Speed" means it's going to take the same mode as you recorded the video with, and dub it to the DVD-R without encoding. For instance, for me, that's almost always XP mode, since that's what I almost always use. But, I recently recorded the four-hour "Battlestar Galactica" series from the Sci-Fi channel, at XP mode, but I thought I'd burn that to DVD-R at the SP mode, and get 2 hours per DVD-R. So, I'd have to choose the SP recording mode here. In your example, it sounds like you'd do the same, and dub at the SP recording mode. Unless, that is, you recorded originally in SP mode, and then you could do it with "High Speed" mode.

Finally, "High Speed" isn't all that fast. With one hour's worth of stuff recorded at XP, it takes very nearly "one hour" to record that. Maybe just a few minutes less. Now, perhaps it would be that same amount of time to put two hours on that DVD-R if you were going with SP mode, but I haven't tried that yet. But, that's how the actual recording time works.

Originally Posted by kzod
    Finally, what swung your decision over to the e80 instead of the pioneer's (if you considered them at the time), i'm still on the fence between which unit to purchase.
    Experience with my Panasonic DMR-E50 really helped -- once I got that, and comprehended what the addition of a hard drive could do, I was absolutely drooling over the thought of getting an E80H. Plus, while I haven't really checked Pioneer prices lately, my impression is that the Pioneers are CONSIDERABLY more expensive. Unless you absolutely need some extra bell or whistle a Pioneer might have over a Panasonic, I sure don't see any reason to spend more and get one. The E80H will get the job done very nicely, otherwise!

Hope this helps!

thoots
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by thoots
    Finally, "High Speed" isn't all that fast. With one hour's worth of stuff recorded at XP, it takes very nearly "one hour" to record that. Maybe just a few minutes less. Now, perhaps it would be that same amount of time to put two hours on that DVD-R if you were going with SP mode, but I haven't tried that yet. But, that's how the actual recording time works.
    For high speed recordin it does not matter how long recording is (1h,2h,6h...) It should take same time that is determined by how fast can burner burn 1x=1h (full disc), 2x=30min.... and media used. I believe that burning speed to DVD-RAM can be more then 1x (probably 2x).
    Quote Quote  
  23. Thanks again thoots, another extremely informative post. It's great to have some guys able to give in-depth info on the real life use of these machines.

As far as the speed goes, I've figured it out of others have questions. The E80 has a 1x DVD-R drive. Ergo takes 1 hour to burn. The pioneer 510(0) and E100 have 4x drives so they can record in @15 minutes (theoretically, prob a li'l longer). The pioneer 510 is virtually the same price as the e80, although it's possibly not available in the states? Seems to be available in europe & canada.

So far, I'm still on the fence b/w the 2 of them. the 510 has firewire, but the e80 is said toi have better recording quality. Your posts have made the e80 seem a lot more appealing. I thought i read that you couldn't edit out commercials on it, and doesn't look overly difficult to navigate either. Initial reviews made it seem very confusing with a useless manual. Just wish they came with a TV guide built in, would offer a lot more functionality to the Tivo like system.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Kzod
    Wrote: I thought i read that you couldn't edit out commercials on it,
    You can edit comercials, this is exactly what I am intrested in the Panasonic DMR-E80H.
    Mike
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by donpedro
    For high speed recordin it does not matter how long recording is (1h,2h,6h...) It should take same time that is determined by how fast can burner burn 1x=1h (full disc), 2x=30min.... and media used.
    Yep, that's what I figured -- i.e., you're really just "burning a DVD" at the fastest speed your burner can burn the media you've got in there...

thoots
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by kzod
    Your posts have made the e80 seem a lot more appealing. I thought i read that you couldn't edit out commercials on it, and doesn't look overly difficult to navigate either. Initial reviews made it seem very confusing with a useless manual.
    Yes, as you can see via this guide, you can slice and dice your video any way you'd like, then assemble it to make a "custom" DVD-R with quite a bit of polish, and perfect functionality.

The manual really isn't "difficult" or "useless," but it sure as heck doesn't take you from A to B to C like I've done here. That's indeed why I decided to put this together -- to help new E80H users figure it out, and, especially, to show the computer guys that you really can do essentially all of the editing that most folks would ever need -- and pretty quickly and easily, at that!

thoots
    Quote Quote  
  27. thoots,
    Is the model # E80H that you provided the same as the E80HS? Or is that just a misprint. I have seen this in some web searching that I was doing. Panasonic makes no mention of the E80HS but the one you listed E80H is mentioned.
    Quote Quote  
  28. I believe that S on the end is just color. S-Silver.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Yes, I got it. It makes perfect sense. Thanks to you both kzod & donpedro
    Quote Quote