VideoHelp Forum

Poll: What do you use to author your DVDs?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using TMpgenc DVD Author and DVD-lab. I'm also testing dvdauthor 0.6.

You find the old What do you use to author your DVD's part 1 here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sonic's DVDit! PE -or- TMPGEnc DVD Author ... for 99% of my work

... have no need for anything else at this time, although I have Sonic's ReelDVD and Adobe Encore at my disposal. Also have access to a Mac user and DVD Studio Pro 1.x if I need anything REALLY fancy.

Anything else I had in the past (especially Spruce's SpruceUp and Ulead DVD Workshop 1.3) have been retired/uninstalled.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Have you increased the number of poll options then Baldrick, or is this a 1 off special. Its nice to have more than 10 options for this type of poll.

I am still using DVD workshop, but I am very tempted to give DVD lab and TMPGEnc DVD Author a whirl after reading the many positive posts about these products.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Craig Tucker
    Have you increased the number of poll options then Baldrick, or is this a 1 off special. Its nice to have more than 10 options for this type of poll.
    I increased it to 30.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Originally Posted by Craig Tucker
    Have you increased the number of poll options then Baldrick, or is this a 1 off special. Its nice to have more than 10 options for this type of poll.
    I increased it to 30.

TGPO will pee his pants
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    From my very short experience with DVD authoring, I found DVD-Lab most to my taste, but utterly useless, as it has no support for subtitles.
    IfoEdit, in it's nutsandbolts approach is my favourite - anything seems possible, if I can just figure out how to do it.
    dvdauthor looks promising too, as I alternate between Linux and Windows. Once I've mastered this beast, I can use the same tool(s) regardless of OS. It still has some way to go, (subs are important to me!) with Linux in the lead at the moment, as subtitleripper now rips to png and outputs spumux xml.
    The rest of the bunch just seems too "draganddropish" to me, with just too much GUI getting in my way.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like I got Maestro on the board (wow...one person...and I became 10%).

Its one of the older ones....and still one of the best. Can handle everything I throw at it as well as support for dual layer (gonna need that one soon)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by coyote
    Can handle everything I throw at it as well as support for dual layer (gonna need that one soon)
    I doubt it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. what types of special projects do you do on dvd maestro that the other programs can't handle
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Maestro <----Simply the best there is, nothing more to said really.
    I Have Always Been Here

Toshiba Regza 37Z3030D, Toshiba HD XE1 + EP-10 ( Both Multiregioned), Samsung BD-P1500 Blu Ray. OPPO DV-983H
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How can so many of you guys afford DVD Maestro when it is listed at $5000.00!
    Quote Quote  
  12. I use Pinnacle Impression Pro
    amcky
    amcky
    Quote Quote  
  13. Dvd Maestro is the best! If you want selectable subtitles on your dvd dvd maestro is the best solution =)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by GeoPappas
    Gee, I wonder.

That's why these polls can get somewhat useless.
    Same goes for a lot of other software.

If I had $5,000, I sure wouldn't spend it on a program.

Now I haven't always been completely innocent myself, but these days I tend to only use software that I have paid for or was free. It just works better, has more support and I've always got the books I need. Plus upgrades are easier to get.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Originally Posted by GeoPappas
    Gee, I wonder.

That's why these polls can get somewhat useless.
    Same goes for a lot of other software.

If I had $5,000, I sure wouldn't spend it on a program.
    I didn't think this was a "best buy" poll

I'm playing about with Maestro myself, but it's lack of preview makes it useless, in saying that though...it's great.

What are peoples thoughts on Sonic DVD Producer?...I'm downloading it at present.
    Quote Quote  
  16. What if you don't care about subtitles. Then what is your best choice?
    Quote Quote  
  17. No subtitles ----> DVD-Lab!

Also, DVD-Lab version 1.4 beta 1 now supports multiple VTS, so in my book, that ups it's worth to me a lot. Now if subtitle support is added, then I'll have all I'll ever need!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Although I have tried many authoring tools like DVDitPE, SpruceUp, Ulead Movie Factory, TMPGENc DVD Author, etc; I might say I only use Maestro.

Also, upon the arrival of dual layer burners, it'll become more and more useful, as it's one of the few out there that supports dual layer.

As far as I have heard, Ulead's upcoming DVD Workshop 2 will rival it, with the advantage of having a built-in DD2.0 converter and the disadvantage of not supporting DTS;

Its built-in "creat audio sync track" is simply amazing !

Also, for the preview function, install Cinemaster CODECs and it's OK.

Zetti
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TMPGenc DVD Author
    used a couple other programs but like this one best for what i do
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maestro & TMPGenc DVD Author. 8)
    Quote Quote  
  21. MGI VideoWave 4 came with the DV camcorder I bought in 2000, so I had a look at Roxio VideoWave Movie Creator for DVD authoring. It is unbelievably bad. I don't think it's even possible to create chapter menus.

I recently bought my first DVD burner (LG GSA-4040B), and it came with neoDVD. It lets you create only six chapters per title, IIRC, so that was pretty quickly dismissed.

While browsing Usenet archives, I found a favorable reference to Ulead DVD Movie Factory. I got the v2 trial and really like it. It's easy to use without needing to refer to the help, and it does everything I want to do. Well, almost. I recently needed to create a DVD with multiple title sets, which is not something over which MovieFactory allows explicit control. Somebody on these boards advised using TMPGEnc DVD Author for the final step of authoring the DVD. This allows me to create separate title sets.

I downloaded the trial of DVD Author just to do the one thing I needed to do. But I think I'll look into it as a complete replacement for MovieFactory, especially after seeing its score in this poll.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I like Tmpgenc DVD author. I like the easy interface to make chapter points, menus, etc.. Works great for home movies/ family events.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TMPGEnc DVD Author. the best! Worth every penny.
    ///////////
    Tried DVD it, MY DVD, and Ulead. Horrible!
    If you already know how to encode an mpg1/or 2 file,
    stay away from these programs, they'll only butcher
    your hard work.
    Quote Quote  
  24. dvd-lab primarally

i do use dvd maestro a lot still as well.

i have just today tried dvdauthor and gui to successfully put a 2 cd svcd film onto dvdr so if this is a sign of its success it will now be the tool of choice for a quick (S)VCD to dvdr authoring.
    Quote Quote  
  25. i have tried studio 8 and it blows...no matter what i did it locked up during the rendering process...im just trying to get some vhs tapes onto dvd...im not looking to spend hours and hours authoring although i dont mind letting it run overnight.
    i have also tried moviefactory which was VERY easy but you dont have any options at all. for instance in making menus. i like the template idea but a little cusomization would be nice...in that program if you dont like the templates you're SOL.
    i think i am going to try tmpgenc dvd author...i havent used the encoder in a long time and i hope that there is a wizard based setup since i i dont care so much about the details...back in the encoding days i did. before dvd burning.
    i also saw people recommend dvd lab. is this an easy program? i know the ins and outs of authoring but now i dont have time and i have gotten especially lazy.
    also, has anyone tried canopus? i know it has realtime rendering but i havent seen anything about it really.
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  26. I use tempgnc dvd author just when i am burning soemthing that i don't care so mutch about, and if tere are allot of vcd files that i want to burn quikly with ease. Tempgnc dvd author is good because you can easaly put vcd files into the program with no extra job if you know what i mean and it's extreamly easy to use. But it's one thing that i hate about it everything is pre build all the menus and everything else you can't edit a thing yourself, but it's ok if i have lots of vcd files that need to be burned in a hurry.

But for more advanced dvd authoring i use dvd-lab so easy to use you understand the interface directly when you have started the program. And you can import svcd files with relitiv ease. that's how i got in touch with the program i was loocking for an more advanced program than tempgnc dvd author to put my svcd files in. I love the program so far lots of funktions and easy to understand.

It's a great program, not as highly advanced as the big brothers DVD maestro or the proffesionall scenarist, but it works for me.

I am also using dvd maestro, well i am in the learning process still the manuall is pretty big and i have still many things too learn but i hope that i have learned the most basics fuctions of the programs soon.

This program is not very easy to use according to me though there are more fucktions and stuff in this program that dvd-lab for example but it's more complex and harder to understand i think. Though some people say that dvd maestro is pretty easy to use if you compair it with it's big brother scenarist that what i have heard is extreamly hard to understand.
    i Want to go a DVD authoring edjucation. Can you do that?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried many programs and DVDMaestro is the program of choice on my CPU. Although I must admit, after DVDMaestro creates the VIDEO_TS folder I use MovieFactory to burn to DVD. (copy disk function).

DVDMaestro does take some playing with and getting use to and I still have not mastered it but the manual is out there and available.

Good Luck!
    Quote Quote  
  28. does dvdmaestro re-encode if needed? audio or video?
    Quote Quote  
  29. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tinkerbellsmyhoe
    does dvdmaestro re-encode if needed? audio or video?
    No.
    Quote Quote