VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. TMPGEnc says that converting my ASF file (72 mins long) to MPG will take over 80 hours. My PC is a 400MHz Celeron, which isn't great by modern standards, but surely it should take less than that! Is there any faster way to do this without losing too much quality?
    Quote Quote  
  2. if you use tooLAME the time to complete is way off.

it starts calculating from the time you press start

if your not using tooLAME then you might have too many filters, cropper's and other options checked.

also if it's an asf you can use the "normal" motion setting - putting at the highest won't do you any good.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ASF files in the first place are already poor quality. =|
    Quote Quote  
  4. asf = a shitty format

(sorry had to do it)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Not using tooLame or any other filters/plugins - just using the default settings from "Load" > "VCD PAL". Yes, I know ASF isn't such a great format to use as a master - if I had my choice I'd be mastering from uncompressed video or at least DivX, but it's a webcast so I don't have much choice, do I?
    Quote Quote  
  6. you'll probably have to grin a bear it. the 45 min doc from silence of the lambs took 26 hours with average quality settings on my p2-333...
    Quote Quote  
  7. if your not doing any of the things I mentioned make sure to check the "motion" setting in TMPGEnc -- just make sure it's set to normal.

the crack on asf wasn't aimed at you

if it still says 80 hours shoot me an email
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use to convert my DIVX movies to MPEG, it only takes about 3-4 hours max. I have 866mhz, but that does not matter that much.

Tell me more details that you use for TMPEnc so i can see what the problem is.
    Quote Quote  
  9. The saga continues... I have tried encoding other ASF files and they all encode at a reasonable speed - even other ASF files with the same resolution, etc as the problem one. So I figure it is probably a corruption in the ASF file.

The file plays fine in Media Player and seems to play fine in TMPGEnc as well, but VirtualDub says:

ASF: parse error -- too many segments in packet at 385 (4 expected) packet size=c40, send time: 0:00

Any ideas guys? I opened the ASF file in a Hex Editor and tried changing byte 385h to to 04h, but that didn't seem to help.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    tough one; though the awnser is very simple; your asf is corrupted. guess you need to find yourself another copy or you need to fix it.

cant help you with asf on that point
    Quote Quote