VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Did you send the email to dvd2one?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Okay Lupin has a new version, but he is still mad with the creators of DVD2OneX. He's looking for at least them to contact him and thank him for his efforts. If he gets that he promices to release the new version.

So if you contact the makers of DVD2OneX and they send a thanks to Lupin, then we get the new version. So every start sending now!!!

You can copy and paste this if you want:

To whom it may concern,

It seems that with all the excitement over your product that certain people's hard work has been overlooked, namely the makers of the DVD Backup programs. It seems as if they are accepting the risks involded in DVD Backup while you are accepting the rewards. I feel that it is past time that you publically thank the hard work and effort put forth by the coders of the DVD Backup software, whom without you would have no product.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's good news. I hope everyone can settle this issue, and the new version can be released. I would gladly pay (up to about $25) for DVDBackup, as long as they would be willing to have more frequent updates, and get it working with DVDs it currently has problems with. Here's the email I sent to the makers of DVD2OneX as a paying customer:
    Code:
    To whom it may concern, 
        Your software DVD2OneX for the Macintosh (and DVD2One for Windows) only works with unencrypted VIDEO_TS folders. For the most common usage, this means that we must depend on other software, such as DVDBackup and OSEx to extract the VIDEO_TS folder from a DVD without CSS encryption and Macrovision. The creators of DVDBackup, the best DVD ripping software for the Macintosh, are upset that you depend on their application, and yet fail to give any credit to their efforts. You could resolve this situation by either providing your own DVD ripping solution, or by publicly acknowledging their software, and thanking them for their efforts (or just saying something nice about them). I realize you guys want to stay away from the whole CSS/DMCA issue, but this is ignoring the reality of the situation, and the best interest of your customers, who do want to back up commercially pressed and encrypted DVDs that they own. Please do your best to resolve this situation as soon as possible, so that everyone can put this to rest, and the developers of DVDBackup can release new versions of their software without feeling cheated. Thank you for your time.
    Sincerely,
    (Your name here)
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    a little update to see how many people actually do this.....
    i just sent mine off.

dang, I like that one AntnyMD, i thik ill send it again
    Quote Quote  
  4. I sent an e-mail with a copy and paste of the text in the original post. Dont use DVD2OneX all that much, DVD-R's are too pricy for me, but i am a firm believer in giving credit where credit is due, and these people who work so hard with no thanks or recognition deserve a tilt of the hat no matter how much they charge.. and when the price is right like free they deserve a first born child. SO i personally thank you for all of your hard work on DVDBackup, and please keep it up!!

Donald
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sent 2 off, different emails. I would be willing to pay, IF and ONLY IF, we could hide it while we rip things. It takes up too much processor and space if its planted on the desktop.

Q
    "Good Luck 007"
    In Memory of Desmond Llewelyn
    Quote Quote  
  6. Master of my domain thoughton's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Email sent. Although I have several email accounts but I don't think replication will help our cause. Surely the IP will be logged...
    Quote Quote  
  7. sent mine off.
    Quote Quote  
  8. wow, only 5 or 6 people.. i was expecting more people to help out on this..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Same, i would have thought this would be over 100 by now!!

though, its been slow here lately... holidays are coming up, finals are here for a lot of us, new babies are being born, moves are taking place

but i too expected MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well. 8 votes so far. Perhaps we should also open this up for the PC users.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    that or put it on the POLLS forum, where response rates are off the charts!

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Or maybe remove it from the stickies. I was looking for this thread earlier today, and couldn't find it anywhere. Finally, a search revealed that it was at the top of the page, in the stickies section (D'OH!). I always skip right over the sticky threads, and perhaps others do too.
    P.S. I also would love to be able to hide DVDBackup while it is processing. No idea why it would prevent this in the first place.
    [Edit] Ah, I see that someone's moved this thread from the stickies section now. Hope that improves visibility . . . [/Edit]
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm a little confused. This guy who makes a DVD ripping program wants a guy who makes a DVD compressing program to acknowledge the former's application? And this doesn't strike anyone as a little petty and foolish? I mean, DVDBackup is a great application, but I don't see what effect that has on DVD2oneX...
    If it isn't broken, take it apart and find out why.
    blog: deadsierra
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If DVD2one had its own dvd ripping software, then i would be a different story, but, DVD2One wouldnt have a product now if i weren't for DVD rippers. I could easily destroy their profits. And they are making a profit from these programs as well. The otehr programmers deserve compensation and a little recognition.

Q
    "Good Luck 007"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, it is a bit foolish, especially considering that the DMCA discourages developers of software like DVD2One from acknowledging the possibility of using encrypted DVDs. The same pressure probably prevents the developer of DVDBackup from selling it for profit. DVD2One doesn't necessarily depend on DVDBackup, but can use any unencrypted VIDEO_TS folder, no matter what app extracts it. If DVDBackup were to disappear, Mac users would just use OSEx, Extractor, command line utilities (which would quickly have another GUI made for them), or even Windows software through emulation. Also, DVDBackup has many uses that have nothing to do with DVD2One. It's a pretty silly stance on the part of the DVDBackup developers. It would be like some wheat flour manufacturer getting upset that some baker isn't acknowledging the use of their flour in their products, or any such similar situation. These are two independent apps, that just happen to work in conjunction, but can be used separately as well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by WiseWeasel
    ...or even Windows software through emulation...
    Sorry, we tried, and tried, and tried, and tried that method. Nothing in that area could work.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Doesn't DVDBackup require Apple's DVD Player to work properly? If so, shouldn't DVDBackup set an example by thanking it?
    If it isn't broken, take it apart and find out why.
    blog: deadsierra
    Quote Quote  
  18. All righty, my e-mail was sent, but here's my 2 cents on the whole mess, without DVDBackup's SIMPLICITY OF USE, I never would have considered DVD2One as a purchase. It is hands down, the easiest way to back up a disc, fast, efficient, never crashes (in my experience) and a rock solid bit of engineering and programming. So is DVD2One, but how many people have bought it AFTER seeing how easy it is to use DVDBackup? What's wrong with some props?
    Only reason I can think that they won't thank him is if they've got something similar in the pipeline, or are friends with people who do.
    C'mon guys, THANK THE GUY ALREADY!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by deadsierra
    Doesn't DVDBackup require Apple's DVD Player to work properly? If so, shouldn't DVDBackup set an example by thanking it?
    Hehehe . . . that's almost a perfect analogy. Nicely done!
    If there's a fallacy, however, it's that DVD2OneX can work without DVDBackup, by using unencrypted DVDs (they do exist), or using other ripping tools. Also, I doubt the developer of DVDBackup wants to publicly draw Apple's attention to the fact that DVD Player is used to find the keys for the DVD, or else they could surely change it to prevent that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Fourty-two decrypted the DVD and reencoded it for backup purposes; I don't think that the MPAA can say anything about that. Even though Clinton shoved DMCA down our throat and they can get you for that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    42 also makes (made?) you download your own libdvdcss (or mplayer or something, forget if it was Disco or 42) library. Also, it only copies the main title, and burns in subtitles if you need them. It's far from a perfect copy. DVDBackup, however, is designed specifically to circumvent the encryption, and nothing else (though it relies on DVD Player to find the keys), so it's in a much more actionable position. DVD2One is protected by the reliance on unencrypted VOBs.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I didnt previously respond to this because I felt it was nonsense. In the biggest single market for DVDBackup, the United States, it is illegal to purposefully circumvent CSS. So, if for some reason we all started purchasing that software here, we'd all be seeking a tool to break laws. Whether or not the law is a good one (or violates nearly a century of case law protecting fair use) is another story.

If the developer of DVDBackup wants compensation, then he needs to show some balls and take a stand and charge for it -- I'd be happy to pay for this software. If he wants "thanks" he can forget about it. Thanks and a dime still won't get you a cup of coffee in Seattle. If we no longer had access to ripping programs, we'd all just go back to capture boxes/cards and we'd still be happy.

This is a nonissue for me.
    Quote Quote  
  23. I sent off my email yesterday as well (as a paying customer), but the forum was having problems and I couldn't post about it.

This morning I got a very nice response back from Erwin thanking me for my email and appreciative of my praise for his product. But the most thing he said was this:

"He has not contacted me himself, so I have no knowledge of his problems."

Whoever is in touch with Lupin might want to get the dialog started from the other side of the fence, because Erwin seems to know as little about the details of his gripe as I do.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    how aboot we just stop with all the "whell if it wasnt for this" or "if it wasnt for this person" and just email them and get an UPDATE. thats what this post was for!

Q
    "Good Luck 007"
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yeh i guess im the only one (or one of the only ones) who could care less if dvdbackup GUI got an update.. i've used it once ever (if that many times) but then again i guess using cli tools that are faster, dont require ANY desktop space and dont crash (guis cause most of those pesky crashes) and take up 1/100th as much processor, and work with EVERY dvd (well not the horribly scratched ones) would be to blame for my apathy towards this situation, my two cents- its petty and childish to halt an update due to recognition, the biggest reason no more tools pop up for this kind of thing, possibly spawned of cli tools, is people DONT want attention and recognition for something like this, i mean i for one could write a gui for one of the various cli tools with my eyes closed. yet these authors halt production b/c they WANT recognition, as if they are the micro$loth of the dvdrip market- get over yourselves. purely assinine if you ask me-- let them stop production, won't bother me a bit.. i guess i stand alone (or somewhat alone) on that view (and no dont bug me to make a new gui, im through making new programs for free, especially ones that straddle the thin lines of legality)
    As below, so above and beyond, I imagine
    drawn outside the lines of reason.
    Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition leaving all these opportunities behind.
    Quote Quote  
  26. what cli programs would you be speaking of?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    bilestyle. thing is you CAN make the apps for yourself, so you have no need. others wouldn't even know where to begin and rely on other people for apps.

its been essentially a year with no new dvdbackup (osex has not had any major updates either in a long time)

i agree with some of your comments, however i think these emails cant hurt!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OSeX will still probably not get an update for a long time.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a lot of appreciation here for the efforts this guy made in writing DVDBackup. The attitude seems to be more like, "Just shut up and give it to me for free."

Given this, and since as Thargok says OSEx isn't going to be updated anytime soon (or at all), which of you is volunteering to spend hundreds of hours of development time to write a replacement program and release it for free?

Naturally, you'll get no support (financial or otherwise) from the DVD2One or DVDRemaster folks. Judging by the poll results, there isn't exactly a mass email campaign going on...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The thing is, this is no way to get $upport for your app. This whole email campaign is useless, as the creators of DVD2One and DVDRemaster (and Toast for that matter) are not going to share their profits with every DVD ripping software developer out there. It's Lupin who chose to develop this app, for his own reasons, and now he must find a way to make it work for him. If he wants to sell a new version to us somehow, that's would be very welcome. But to ask people to encourage the creators of the other tools mentioned to share profits is ludicrous, and going nowhere fast. It's just not going to happen. This is a moot point until Lupin finds a solution to the problem. Perhaps instead of wasting our own and the DVD2One developers' time, we should be coming up with solutions for selling software like DVDBackup in the current legal climate, or resources to help further that goal. I have proposed making DVDBackup a shareware GUI shell for some open-sourced CSS breaking library that users could obtain on their own, or to depend on a proprietary encrypted binary that somehow pops up all over the net to handle the DVD decrypting. As far as resources go, the developer needs some anonymous method for collecting payment for this tool. This might be done through some trusted proxy somewhere (preferably offshore, protected from DMCA legislation). If anyone has any ideas, post them up, and let's get some discussion going. This whole DVD2One email campaign is just barking up the wrong tree.
    Quote Quote