VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. FreshieGeek
    First question.
    If I have 3 videos on 3 different SVCD2DVD discs, and want to re-rip them to a new disc together, whent's the best way to do it?

Second question.
    When I play the _DVD files on my machine, it want to connect to codecs.microsoft.com for something.
    It then says unab;e to download appropriate compressor.
    The files play fine, but it takes a while to connect to the site.
    Can anyone point me to the codec it wants, so it won't keep looking for it?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FreshieGeek
    First question.
    If I have 3 videos on 3 different SVCD2DVD discs, and want to re-rip them to a new disc together, whent's the best way to do it?

Second question.
    When I play the _DVD files on my machine, it want to connect to codecs.microsoft.com for something.
    It then says unab;e to download appropriate compressor.
    The files play fine, but it takes a while to connect to the site.
    Can anyone point me to the codec it wants, so it won't keep looking for it?

Thanks
    First codec problems.... I have seen it with WinMedia Player9, I have encoded a series of short MPEG2 clips for authoring on a DVD-R, I load them all into WinMedia Player9. The first one plays no problem, the second looks for a codec, says it downloaded and installed it, the 3rd looks for a codec, says it found it and installed it, the fourth looked for a codec and said it had an error downloading, but the file then plays OK.

All 4 files were encoded at the same time using TMPGEnc and the very same template, you try and figure out what WinMedia Player9 is doing.

Bottom line: I stopped using WinMedia Player9 and now use PowerDVD to test my MPEG files.

Second, re-ripping, there are a number of utilities to do this, check the "Tools" section at the left. All of the ones listed there work, you have to pick one that is easy for you to use.

My suggestion would be to rip to MPEG files again and then use a DVD authoring software to compile the DVD.

My personal favorite is DVD-Lab. Many people like TMPG DVD Author.

Then again there are Ulead or Sonic..... support? no comment.

Hope this helps.
    --
    Will
    Quote Quote  
  3. FreshieGeek
    Thanks for the fast reply.

I'll have a look.

I actually use WMP6.4 for a quick view of the file, but both want to check for codecs.

I had a weird thing happen with my Power DVD.

I played a VCD I had created in there (from a CD-RW) and it won't play as a VCD anymore. Even in my standalone.

It seems to have written something to the disc.

Weird huh?

That's why I'm iffy about using it for anything but MPAA discs.

I will check out the rippers. I just couldn't cut them like I did with MPEG1 before, so I thought maybe SVCD2DVD re-wrote the headers as MPEG2, even though they're not.

Thanks for the info, I'll look around.
    I just thought somone else might have run into these problems too....
    Quote Quote