VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. The problem with making XSVCDs (for me), is that the video stays in its animorphic form, therefore, when played on a standard television, it is shown as fullscreen (P&S) instead of the "letterbox" view it should be in. Not sure if anyone else gets this problem, but I do
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hey bilestyle I remember you from the early days. I think you wrote some program at some point ( correct me if I'm wrong ) and are probably still writing it correct? I don't remember if it's 42 or something like that. So I can see where your interest would be. I know if you want to make a point about it you could but I really don't think your average person will care for that little extra difference. It's like trying to convince someone that likes a 192kb mp3 that the aiff file has more highs or better spread. It's OK if your going to dot every I and cross every T but the truth is if I want that kind of quality I'll buy a DVD copy and wouldn't waste my time making a copy. After all in the time it takes for you to make a copy you could probably make enough money working to buy 10 DVD's.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    but that is thinking the only goal of duping a dvd is for illegal purposes, rent and copy -- i never do that, i generally just like to backup copies of my dvds in case they get scratched. or svcd for portability b/c my laptop doesnt have a dvd drive. and yes i was working on 42 but havent done any work on it in a while due to the fact that school is killing me, and im not trying to endorse one thing verse another due to what i personally work on, and im not trying to convert people from one process to another, im just laying down my personal opinion, and in my opinion, using dvd2one to compress movies THAT far down yields quality that is not even close to watchable, thas just my two cents tho.
    As below, so above and beyond, I imagine
    drawn outside the lines of reason.
    Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition leaving all these opportunities behind.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hey bilstyle I hear you but don't you think you should at least try the thing before judging it? I also thought that a DVD lower than 6gb would not look good but just try the thing and honestly then I will hear your side. In the time it takes for you to make 1 SVCD you can backup 4 movies to this format burn them to CD ( VLC will play them in your non DVD player ) and still have time to make the popcorn. Honestly try it just once at 2100mb and see if the quality is not good. And you can keep it all Mac if you can find a program on the Mac platform that will split VOB files and leave you with a VIDEO_TS folder.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i've already told ya 1) i refuse to do ANYTHING in emulation and 2) i've tried dvd2one compressing movies from 6 or so gigs to 4.3 and the quality loss is more than im willing to handle, if the quality loss from 6 gigs to 4.3 is as bad as i think it is, then there is no way i would be okay with 6 or 7 or even 4.3 down to like ~2100. I've already seen what dvd2one does with material that is too big to 4.3, and if that is about as much quality i can be okay with losing how would i be okay with it lower? i wouldn't. And if something didnt play in my dvd player then it really wouldnt be worth it because i also refuse to watch movies on my computer. Its pretty clear and plain, the process isnt for me, i dont need to waste my time trying it when i already know that im not happy with dvd2one's quality decline.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition leaving all these opportunities behind.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hey whatever rocks you. You seem angry on most of your post! Anger management Baby! I like your monkey icon!
    Quote Quote  
  7. I can understand his point. There is some quality loss. Not always detectible unless you put your face against the screen but there is some very noticeable difference on others. I do this method mostly for my kids. I like to keep one full backup for myself and then make a set of discs for the kids to use. I can't stand getting a disc back and it's scratched or mistreated. I like to keep my playable copy for myself in addition to keeping the original in a very safe place.

On the DVD2ONE thingy. I use TmPeg DVD Author (PC) for combining and making menus. It doesn't do any shrinking. I have to keep the movies separate after shrinking, not combined. This way DVD author can build a separate menu option and chapters for each movie. Works great.

There are soooooooo many ways to backup movies these days but in the end the best method is going to be the method that you prefer as an individual.
    -=[Shock Troop]=-
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i dont think you need to put your face up close to the screen to realize a quality loss.. especially if you are crunching a really big dvd to 4.3 ie minority report... i could tell the difference in quality easily.

Quote Quote