VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What do you mean by upconverts?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Converts something to higher level.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have had a Lite-on LVD-2001 for a while know and it is the best on the market. It plays everything you through at it, especially Divx 5.1.1 files. There is some problem expressed by some of the people who have problems with Divx 3.1.1, on old format.
    I hope Lite-on continues to focus their R&D efforts on modern formats than worry about older ones. It really is no big deal to convert 3.1.1 to 5.1.1, I've done it in Vdub eith no problems and taking just a few minutes.

It even will play music, video,whatevert from flash memory cards.

I put in a Divx video that was in PAL format, changed nothing and it played it perfectly through my NTSC TV.

Yes, it is progressive, it all all the outputs for digital output.

Divx sames be a ton on media. I can fit five to seven high quality Divx movies on one DVD, no problem.

DVD-R, DVD +R, MPEG files, you name it, it plays it.

Make sure you use the latest firmware, I am using the 3.01 beta, or something to that effect.

I am confused about the 2001 and the 2002. If I am not mistaken, and PLEASE correct me on this, I beleve that the 2001 has more features and I do not know of anything that the 2002 does that the 2001 does not ??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think there's anything the 2002 does that is better or worse than the 2001. As we've all stated before, the 2001 has the pcmcia card slots, the 2002 doesn't (athough only some people care about this, if you just bought it for DivX playback it's just an extraneous feature). The 2002 has DTS, the 2001 doesn't. (correction: 2001 has DTS) The 2001 has 1080i scan, the 2002 has 480i/p resolution but no 1080i - in my case I don't need this, as I'm only watching DivX discs that aren't very high resolution anyway (if I want to watch DVD's, I have a separate DVD player for that).
    The 2001 is a discontinued model, the 2002 is a current model.
    The 2002 has a lower price point than the 2001 has (had).
    The 2001 may or may not receive future firmware upgrades, the 2002 should continue for a while, since it is current.
    Beyond that, I don't think there is a really big difference between these two models. They are both very good and capable players for what they are supposed to do, play DivX discs (which is what most people bought them for, there are other cheaper players if you want a standard DVD player).
    Ethernet (n): something used to catch the etherbunny
    Quote Quote  
  5. I was wondering...does this DVD player support the OGG video format? its great that it supports DIvX and all but there are also new movies and files that are being released in the OGG video format.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by solidhound
    I was wondering...does this DVD player support the OGG video format? its great that it supports DIvX and all but there are also new movies and files that are being released in the OGG video format.
    OGG is an audio format, not video (you were probably thinking of OGM). Here is an excerpt from the LiteOn website, which you can take with a grain of salt...

Q. When do you release a better firmware to resolve the problem of playing Divx movies?
    A. "We're sorry that the break through of Divx 3.11 isn't good as practically applied. The pity is that even the new firmware can not cover or recover it totally. But we will go on trying the best to make it as good as possible!
    There will be another version in earlier Nov, in the support for subtitle of *.srt. and audio format with *.ogg. also for folder function and improvement of Divx movies. Now it's under the final reliability test by QA team. Would you please visit our website for the official release at
    http://www.liteonit.com.tw/DC/english/csd.htm "
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am glad that someone posted the new-egg price which is less than the $99 price from PC club.

I think it is important, that when we help each other out about when there is some great pricing somewhere, that the net gross price, not net price is mentioned. Stores do that all the time to get people in.

For example, unless there is a store "instant rebate", that amount should be included in the price. One pays the price of an item, WITH the rebate price to acquire the merchandize.
    Shipping is another big one too, as well as taxes, although taxes are hard to tell, but if someone is purchasing something online from Best Buy, and there is a Best Buy store in your area, you will be charged taxes.

The Newegg price for the LVD-2002 is http://www.newegg is $114.00. That is the total gross price. No rebates, free FedExx shipping, no taxes, $114 it is in your hands.
    That appears to be the lowest price for the Lite-on player I can find.

P.S. I have five DVD players in my house and for playing DVDs my LVD-2001 is the finest unit I have ever seen. I don't know why anyone would get the unit just for that reason. Although it does play Divx, SVCD and VCD extremely well as well.
    It is progressive scanning as well as has about every type of audio/video jack that you can enable. Does great at Pal --->NTSC conversions.

Jon

One more, I was under the understanding from Lite-on the th4e LVD-2002 will be more limited in its firmware options than the 2001. For example, the region free code is gone.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Roundabout,

The 2001 does have DTS. I don't know where you got your information, but DTS plays great on mine.

No, it doesn't support OGG though it is on the list of upgrades for firmware if they continue support for it.

The major differences of the 2001/2002 are the 2001 has the pcmcia slot (i like this) and the fact that it supports more video resolutions. You can read more about their specs and compare them on Liteon's site, www.liteonit.com.

And as Roundabout says, the 2002 only has 480 res. But the 2001 not only supports 1080, it also supports 720.

If you think you're going to upgrade to a video display that willl support those resolutions some time in the future, buy the 2001. Spend the extra $50 now.

Ive only had 2 movies not play in the machine so far and it was due to encoding. Both were xvid, so it was probably the audio format used.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jolo
    The Newegg price for the LVD-2002 is http://www.newegg is $114.00. That is the total gross price. No rebates, free FedExx shipping, no taxes, $114 it is in your hands.
    That appears to be the lowest price for the Lite-on player I can find.

One more, I was under the understanding from Lite-on the th4e LVD-2002 will be more limited in its firmware options than the 2001. For example, the region free code is gone.
    Jon,

Exactly right. Which is why I posted the price back on Dec. 2 at mypcgoodies.com who had it at the time for 109.00 with free shipping. They later raised the price (which I also noted) and now they have lowered it again, to $111.00 (see photo from their website today) also with free shipping, which is now lower than the Newegg price that you quoted. By the way, as of this morning, Newegg is out of stock of these units, but have more on the way, apparently. The price will vary from day to day, but the player was cheaper at PC Club with the rebate - cheaper than anyone else has had it, as long as you don't mind waiting for a rebate (and I think I noted very clearly that this price was with the rebate, I wasn't trying to mislead anyone). I agree with you that some people would rather have it "in their hands" for a specific price, which is why I also noted that the mypcgoodies.com site had it for less "upfront" price for those that are looking for a deal today without rebate hassles. As for taxes, you will be charged tax if you live in California (one drawback of living here, it seems all these online retailers are located here and have to charge sales tax on everything if you are a resident of this state). I took this from the Newegg website:

What states must pay sales tax?
    Orders shipping to California, Tennessee and New Jersey must be charged sales tax based on the county's rate. Newegg.com now operates business from locations in CA, TN and NJ to better service our customers across the United States.

I think mypcgoodies only charges sales tax if you live/ship to California, as they are located in California with no locations in other states, unlike Newegg which charges tax in three states.

Taken from www.mypcgoodies.com website 12/15/03 9:45 AM PST

As far as the region free code goes, I have already hacked my 2002 with the same region code that the 2001 uses, it's exactly the same and works just as well. It looks like there is less and less difference between the two units.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by scrotus
    The 2001 does have DTS. I don't know where you got your information, but DTS plays great on mine.
    My mistake, sorry. I didn't check that spec and I went by what another poster said earlier (see below) again pointing out that there is really very little major difference between these units.

No, it doesn't support OGG though it is on the list of upgrades for firmware if they continue support for it.
    I think this will turn out to be the case, as I said before - it makes sense that the firmware will most likely be the same on both units, which is a win-win situation for owners of both the 2001 and 2002.

If you think you're going to upgrade to a video display that willl support those resolutions some time in the future, buy the 2001. Spend the extra $50 now.
    Agreed. Otherwise, the 2002 is a better buy. Depends on what you need. In my case, I don't need this feature and only want to play DivX discs on my low-res TV.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Agreed. Otherwise, the 2002 is a better buy. Depends on what you need. In my case, I don't need this feature and only want to play DivX discs on my low-res TV.
    hehe me too. Still got the 32" sony trinitron kicking from 1997. Damn thing won't die. And until it does, I'm stuck with 480 res. But when that day comes, I shall be looking at LCoS.

Hell, I'd take an svideo connection at this point. I don't even have that.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Apparently the LiteOn 2001 is out of stock everywhere. I don't think Lite On plans to make anymore of the 2001s considering this is the replacement for it. Ebay has it though, though overpriced.
    Quote Quote  
  13. LanEvo,

Check www.erwincomp.com. that is where i got mine. they are in NJ.

They were really nice. Call them on the phone and ask if they have any left. They had like 19 when I ordered 2 weeks ago.

whoops. nevermind. they are out of stock and their price went to $160. guess i got mine just in time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hehe me too. Still got the 32" sony trinitron kicking from 1997. Damn thing won't die. And until it does, I'm stuck with 480 res. But when that day comes, I shall be looking at LCoS.

Hell, I'd take an svideo connection at this point. I don't even have that.
    Now that you've said that, I'm sure the Sony will die soon...
    I had my KV-27XBR10 (circa 1987) for years and it never did die, I finally sold it when I moved two years ago. Nothing ever went wrong with it, and it still looked great when I sold it. About the only thing that ever went wrong with those models was bad soldering on the voltage regulator IC's, which was an easy fix. Other than that, they just ran and ran.

You're probably aware Sony is abandoning production of CRT based sets in the next couple of years and going exclusively to LCD. I can't wait to get one sometime, which is why I won't spend the bucks now on anything that has a CRT in it (even my PC monitor is LCD). I can live with my old Sharp TV for a couple more years until the prices come down on the LCD sets. By then the LiteOn will probably be junk anyway, that's why I don't care about the 1080p res on this player. I just want to be able to see my DivX discs on my TV and I'll be happy.

BTW: I don't have anything with s-video either. I'm very low-tech, low-res for now. Eventually I'll upgrade when I have more $$$
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FWIW, when I bought my 2002 at the PC Club in Montclair, they had an extra 2001 they were trying to unload (a couple of people in the store were buying the 2002 and they asked if anyone wanted the 2001, no takers). They might still have it (who knows? It was just sitting there behind the counter on a shelf collecting dust) so if anyone is interested, you could try calling them and see if they still have it. Might be worth a try, I can't guarantee if it's still there or not - just thought I'd throw this out there if anyone's interested. I meant to mention it earlier, I just forgot. Here's the phone # and location if someone wants to call and ask:

PC Club - Montclair
    9197 Central Ave., Ste K-L
    Montclair, CA 91763

Telephone: (909) 482-1223
    Fax: (909) 482-1225

Store Hours:
    Monday - Friday: 10:00 AM - 8:00 PM
    Saturday: 10:00 AM - 7:00 PM
    Sunday: 11:00 AM - 6:00 PM
    Quote Quote  
  16. Roundabout,

I just saw the new Philips LCoS tv in Fry's the other day. It has better picture qual than the Sony LCDs. I was looking at the Sony Grand Wega 50" LCD and thought it was a beaut. But the LCoS technology looks even better. You cannot see any of the pixels on the screen. It does a nice job of blending.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Does anybody know if the LVD-2002's dvd rom drive is a standard dvd drive? I know the Lvd-2001's was and wonder if 2002 is also.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I bought the 2002 from MyPCGoodies.com on Roundabouts suggestion for $109 shipped and was very happy with the service and shipment time (about 2 days) from when I ordered. I can recommend them. Great player. Much nicer than my old Philips 724...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Roundabout,

I just saw the new Philips LCoS tv in Fry's the other day. It has better picture qual than the Sony LCDs. I was looking at the Sony Grand Wega 50" LCD and thought it was a beaut. But the LCoS technology looks even better. You cannot see any of the pixels on the screen. It does a nice job of blending.
    Like this one? *drools*

Man, I can't wait for the price of these babies to come down...no way I can afford this at these prices right now
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And as Roundabout says, the 2002 only has 480 res. But the 2001 not only supports 1080, it also supports 720.
    Will I notice any difference on a normal run of the mill TV set when watching DVD's? Or is this something more relevant for high definition TV sets?

In other words, will the DVD playback be the same as any other stand alone DVD player on a normal TV?

p.s. - I have to wait until Jan 9 to get mine shipped here in Australia, they had just sold and are awaiting more to arrive....doh!
    Quote Quote  
  21. you wont notice any picture difference on a regular tv, hastey.

Roundabout, yeah that TV. *drool*
    Quote Quote  
  22. I was wondering if we could use the firmware from the LVD-2001 with the 2002, so I emailed their US tech support, and here is what they answered:

Dear Mike:

Yes, 2001 F/W works with 2002, but 0301 is NOT a officially released yet. So, 0229 is the latest for both
    Thank you for contacting Lite-On Tech Support. If you reply please include all previous emails.

Regards,
    Lite-On (USA) Tech Support

Let's see if thats true
    Quote Quote  
  23. Perhaps the folowing message should put an end to all rumours about LVD-2001 being replaced by LVD-2002:

Xvidsbetter reported December 05 2003 that:

Just a follow up to my own question. Here is the response from LiteOn. I especially like the comment about all of our "great heads and hands"
    At least they are responsive and "upbeat"

<chineglish>
    Thanks for your support in LiteON!

Sorry for any disturbance made by the wrong news that Phomaster LVD-2001 is quit from the
    market NOW.

Truth is that LVD-2001 is the pioneer generation with it's April debut and has been challenged
    by all the MPEG and DVIX fans over the world with their great heads and hands. And we have
    built up a feedback database over 4000 cases of request and accelerated 6 versions of firmware
    for all.

But the hard part is its nature controlled by the chipset vendors and DVIX content suppliers.
    Technically it is designed with expanding features to support MPEG format, initially of divx
    4&5 and Xvid and later 3.11.But now DVIX has far passed 3.11 to 5.05 version! We have tried the
    LVD-2001 out to be a super player among its peers and we are working on V301 version now with
    promise of folder and subtitle enhanced support.

There is no replacement rumor by LVD-2002 which is only simplized version( SCART connection and
    no PCMCIA slot) fitted the European market. Both are firmware programmed and supported in a
    long term plan!

I think why you are late to hear about the LVD-2001 is until 3 weeks ago LiteON lovers were
    really impressed and convinced by our commitment of firmware updating although it's only a
    301beta version but it was really a big splash. Another reason is that it's time for people
    preparing for the holidays and LVD-2001 is good either as a gift or self enjoyment.

As LiteON has been rooted in the optical business and expanding into consumer products these
    years following the trend of our digital times. We have devoted to make our resources and
    know-how more popular and homely. Please do not worry that you might miss the fun. Just keep in
    touch with LiteON Customer Service team, you will find out this Phomaster LVD-2001 is worth our
    try.

If you still feel bad by the news, please try to go to any forum to get global comfort, as my
    share is really mite to you.

Welcome your further request and please find the tech-support at
    http://www.liteonit.com.tw/DC/english/q&a.htm .

Best regards.

WW
    </chinelglish>
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sreemv
    Both are firmware programmed and supported in a
    long term plan!
    Well, it's just what I thought might happen, and good news (assuming this guy at LiteOn is telling the truth). They can use the same f/w upgrades for both players and maybe they'll support them longer because there are two models to keep up to date! I hope they'll support both of them for a long time to come, because we know new DivX codecs will keep coming out as time progresses, and it'd be nice if the player stays current. I think this was a great purchase and we are enjoying it a lot so far, playing all kinds of DivX movies and videos - only some seem to have problems, but I ascribe most of the problems to the cheap media I was using before. On some bad discs the player will lock up and I have to unplug it to reset it back to normal. Other than that the player is great and I'd recommend one to anyone looking to save a lot of time encoding, which is no longer necessary.
    Quote Quote  
  25. The LVD 2002 is dicountinued too, check out this thread.

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=193875
    Quote Quote  
  26. NewEgg still has it and lowered the price too. To bad I ordered mine from MyPCGoodies already. Damn... would have had 3 day shipping instead of 5
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by ps2wiz
    The LVD 2002 is dicountinued too, check out this thread.

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=193875
    That's not from the manufacturer LOL! It's from a reseller who probably made an error on their web page. You're kind of jumping to conclusions. Do you have something against the 2002?

I seriously doubt it's discontinued. It's only just been released after all!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LanEvo7
    NewEgg still has it and lowered the price too. To bad I ordered mine from MyPCGoodies already. Damn... would have had 3 day shipping instead of 5
    $110.00 now at Newegg, $111.00 at MyPCGoodies - only a $1.00 difference (they probably checked and found out MYPCG was selling for less and just went a dollar lower to try and get their business, or maybe they're reading this thread). Not a tremendous difference, and you might still get it faster depending on where you are and where the unit ships from, so I wouldn't be too upset. Probably the price changes every day up and down a dollar or so, and if anyone else is going to order one they should check both sites the day of the order so they get the absolute lowest price.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Its not the price, its the shipping time. It takes 5 business days for UPS to ship from CA to NY. So from the time they ship the package it takes 7 days for me to get it. NewEgg uses 3 day so I can get it the same week I order it.
    Quote Quote