VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. The player in question is the Akura ADV142S, I know I have never heard of it either

On the manual it says it will play

DVD
    CD
    SVCD
    VCD
    MP3
    CDR
    CDRW
    JPEG
    HDCD
    Kodac picture CD
    CD+G karaoke discs

Edit : Also MP3 DVD's

I bought it because I wanted a player for viewing my jpeg pictures from my digital camera on my TV. It's great for this you can choose from about 10 different transitions for a slideshow, rotate the pictures, mirror them and even display them as multiple thumbnails.

It says nothing about being multi region, but it plays my region 1 discs no problem straight out of the box, no hacking required. Also plays my DVD-R, have not got any DVD+R so cannot test those but I would expect it to play them. It also says in the manual that it is a progressive scan player.

This player is also very slimline, I will post a picture of it when I get a chance.

Now for the best bit, the price.

£37.49 from Somerfields.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Will it do the NTSC to PAL conversion too ?

Buddha says that, while he may show you the way, only you can truly save yourself, proving once and for all that he's a lazy, fat bastard.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, you can set it to NTSC, PAL or Multi which is the autoselect option.
    Quote Quote  
  4. OK as promised, here are the pics. That great lump directly below it is my Pioneer 636.

I don't think you can go wrong for £37.49
    Quote Quote  
  5. I think you're right. £37 for an all singing all dancing DVD player seems like a steal. Pity I already have 2 players.

Buddha says that, while he may show you the way, only you can truly save yourself, proving once and for all that he's a lazy, fat bastard.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Does it play Xsvcds?
    Quote Quote  
  7. I don't have any to test I am afraid. When I bought the player though I was told if I was not happy with it I could return it for a refund. So if you get one Simon post here if it does/does not play XSVCD.
    Quote Quote  
  8. does it have DTS capabilities as my old Deccavideo does'nt and I'm after a new player . Just looked closer at the pictures of cause it does
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Gonna get two at lunch time (one a Christmas gift, the other for the bedroom).
    Dumb question but you haven't said...
    It has a remote control, right?
    Will
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Craig Tucker
    Of course

Good, a pal of mine just brought three in, two of which are mine
    Will
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First impressions:

Slight rattle on first load of dvd, less so once playing.
    Great picture quality, but I'm far from an expert and ain't fussy when it comes to DVD's.
    A wedding dvdr I produced (VHS to DVD and DV to DVD on same disk) stutters slightly on my Wharfedale M5, absolutely flawless playback on the Akura.
    Great remote, very easy to navigate allthough didn't notice a 'menu' button, just a 'return'.
    Free scart lead, batteries and composite cables.
    Region free from the box as Craig said.
    I'm thinking of buying another, to replace the Wharfedale in the living room.
    A great buy, an absolute steal at the price.
    Not too shabby looking either, although I'm not a fan of plastering all disk formats on the unit itself (I prefer mine sleeeeeeeeeeeek).
    Will
    Quote Quote  
  12. I thought you would be pleased will, not much to complain about with this player as far as I can see.

I have not tested DVD+R or XVCD or XSVCD so if anyone has one of these players and can test these discs please post here. It would also be interesting to know if it plays miniDVD.
    Quote Quote  
  13. craig tucker get reading that photo touch up manual. A bit of editing would make things a lot lighter (dodge? )
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by RabidDog
    craig tucker get reading that photo touch up manual. A bit of editing would make things a lot lighter (dodge? )
    Turn the brightness up on your monitor :P
    Quote Quote  
  15. do you know if this dvd player is available in all somerfields? as im from scotland?
    Quote Quote  
  16. The best thing to do is ring round your nearest stores, they will tell you if they have stock.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Hi,

has anyone with this player tested a DVD-R made up of multiple VCD/sVCD ? (eg one made using SVCD2DVD)

thanks

Col
    Quote Quote  
  18. Another recommended cheapo is the Pacific 1002 from asda at £39.99 with a 3 yr guarantee, im convinced that if i put a beer mat in this thing,ill get a picture.

Frosty
    Quote Quote  
  19. It would be even better if you put in a beer mat and got a pitcher !!!!!

:P

Col
    Quote Quote  
  20. rofl
    Quote Quote  
  21. The Pacific 1002w DVD is fantastic. The problem is trying to get one now. Had to go to 8 Asdas before I found one.
    Quote Quote  
  22. The best "cheap" DVD player I know of is the Cyberhome 400 from WH Smith's at £50. It is very compact (almost a portable) and will play anything - even raw MPEG or JPEG files on CD/DVDR ROM's. As WH Smith's are a UK wide company (never heard of Sommerfields) and have a mail order division, the player is available all across the UK.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by Will Hay
    Great remote, very easy to navigate allthough didn't notice a 'menu' button, just a 'return'.
    Yours must have fallen out then Will, because mine has got one.
    Quote Quote  
  24. somerfield is also known as "kwik-save",and yes most branches sell them,in scotland...blah,blah..
    didnt like the rattle though,seems to be a cheapo build,like the pacific1002,what with its playback rattling.
    i think its down to the labels on discs,etc,maybe a balancing issue.
    ill just stick to my alba just now,its cheaper too,at £35.
    plays all formats,just like that one,WMA as well,and doesnt make a noise at all.
    oh by the way,the akura plays +R(W) media,but i noticed that the audio sync was out on terminator 3 towards the last parts of the movie(maybe 1hour+ into it, and thats on +R.seemed to stutter a bit like a bad PAL/NTSC conversion. jerky camera movement,etc.
    shouldnt do that,as its a PAL copy.
    Quote Quote  
  25. I bought the Pacific 1002W, But it does not "seem" to want to play my ksvcd copy of swat, has anyone tested the Akura with this format? as you can get a few hours on 1 cd/r.
    If it works I'll take it back to Asda and visit Kwik-Save
    BTW Asda only do the 1 yr waranty now.

My neighbour bought a dvd player from Argos @ £39 and that plays Everything mpeg/svcd/ksvcd/jpeg/mp3 It was called a cinitek or something similar any info?

You are in breach of the forum rules and are being issued with a formal warning.
    / Moderator Craig Tucker

Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by Garbage_Guy
    my ksvcd copy of swat,
    Please read the forum rules, no warez on this board.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Jeez!!!
    My copy of a home made movie of me an the kids I recorded in Ksvcd format.

Look theres a witch, lets burn her
    Quote Quote