VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. are the current and future DVD players most likely going to support DVD- or DVD +?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by soimcrazy
    are the current and future DVD players most likely going to support DVD- or DVD +?
    Yes.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quoting CDR info

???expanding their production capacities of blank DVD-R discs to 20 million to 60 million discs a "month" each in 2004, according to Digitimes.

DVD-R do appear to be going strong!.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The bottom line remains, I believe, that both + and - work in something like 90% of all DVD players you might run across -- I'm not aware that one is significantly "more compatible" than the other. Things are much different with any of the "rewritable" formats, though -- it doesn't appear likely that we'll see anything much higher than perhaps "half the market" being able to see any of the different "rewritable" format discs.

To digress, choose the recorder you like the best, whether it be 'plus' or 'minus.' The + or - discs it'll make will be compatible with most DVD players out in the world, and that should remain the case unless we change to some different DVD specification than we have now.

thoots
    Quote Quote  
  5. Here is couple of resons to go for "-".

1. My DVD-ROM on that I first purchased supported only -. Now I bought one that supports both, but I had to spend extra.
    2. My DVD-ROM on laptop reads only -
    3. DVD-ROM on colleagues laptop reads only - (needed to copy something from +).

So try to see what your current system supports and go with that so you don't have to spend extra money.
    Quote Quote  
  6. OK...heres the deal

I will be transfering home movies to DVD. Some friends or family members might want to see the movies, or I might be asked to make them a copy. I was just trying to figure out which type of DVD to burn them to, which type of DVD player they might have now or in the future, - or +.

Thanks !!
    Quote Quote  
  7. donpedro points out something that I wasn't even thinking about. I was talking about "home video system DVD players," but as he points out, things are considerably different in the computer DVD-ROM world. Adjust your thinking appropriately...

thoots
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm talking about HOME DVD SYSTEMS...not the PC DVD drive.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by soimcrazy
    I'm talking about HOME DVD SYSTEMS...not the PC DVD drive.
    I understand what you are saying. Question is.... HOW are you going to make an copy ? Let's say that you will transfer your home video to DVD. How are you going to make copy for your family ?

BTW: If we would have know what is going to happen in the feature I will play lotto In my opinion.... there is going to be new format that will replace DVD+ or -R.

I am just trying to point out some issues with formats that you might not aware of. One day you might want to play your DVD on PC or you will buy DVD Writer. Did you know that there are some recorders that can record + and - ?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From what I know, I think the best format for dvd recorders is +.
    The compability of playing such discs have never been a problem for me, even on my oldest DVD-ROM drive or stand alone player.

Even though + discs are a bit more expensive I think the benefit of beeing able to play the disc in other players without closing the session, which i belive must be done on -, speaks for itself. I.e after you close it, you can't add more material to it.

The +RW format add more post editing capabilites than -RW.

If you buy a combined +/- recorder you will loose most of the nice editing features that you will have on a dedicated + recorder.

/Destroyer
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!