VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Honestly, the only ATI AIW cards I hear about being problematic are the 8500DV cards. The DV port was useless and added too much to the card. Better to go with a AIW and then add a GOOD dedicated firewire card.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm still trying to figure out why we are stuck on dropped frames since that is an easily solvable issue, but compression artifacts from the DVD codec is not a solvable problem and something I cannot live with.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ Blkout: You really read all this posting and still answer me this way?
    Most of your points already posted and covered before, in this very same treat...
    Anyway, if someone read this post, gonna learn both sides, so this is more than enough for me. I believe anyone is clever enough to choose when has all the relative info.

Okey Pinky, let's go and rule the world now as usual...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by SatStorm
    @ Blkout: You really read all this posting and still answer me this way?
    Most of your points already posted and covered before, in this very same treat...
    Anyway, if someone read this post, gonna learn both sides, so this is more than enough for me. I believe anyone is clever enough to choose when has all the relative info.

Okey Pinky, let's go and rule the world now as usual...

Sorry for being ignorant, but I thought you wanted me to reply to what you posted, and I did, what more did you want? I was simply correcting the falicies in your your post. I have respect for you, I would appreciate it if you did for me as well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Eeeh... It has nothing to do with respect. I respect everyone, as everyone respect me. Don't turn this to a "respect" level, it is simply a post!

All the things you wrote, are just things others wrote before, in this same post, maybe just in another order. I already answered to them, they answer back to me, and so on...
    You didn't post something not already told in this treat and not already answered one way or other..
    My point is, that my answers are already in this same treat, before your post. You just recycled stuff!

Anyway, if you feel unrespected, sorry.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Will Hay
    Originally Posted by taz291819
    For you folks that prefer the DV route, in your opinion, what's the best DV Camcorder that allows pass-through. Sub-$500 at that. And higher the resolution, the better. I've seen some nice prices on Canons and JVCs lately, just don't know how well they hold up.
    This topic hijacking is catching
    That question is far too objective; how many of us have the chance to thoroughly test three or four DV camcorders?
    Mine is the best otherwise I wouldn't have bought it, obviously
    Suggest a google search.
    Good luck
    Will
    Google? I suggest you re-read some of your own posts. That's what these forums are for. Now, you SHOULD have said "Try starting a new thread." Would have made a little more sense.

To the others that followed, thanks for the info on DV, I think I'll stick with my AIW 9700Pro.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by SatStorm
    Eeeh... It has nothing to do with respect. I respect everyone, as everyone respect me. Don't turn this to a "respect" level, it is simply a post!

All the things you wrote, are just things others wrote before, in this same post, maybe just in another order. I already answered to them, they answer back to me, and so on...
    You didn't post something not already told in this treat and not already answered one way or other..
    My point is, that my answers are already in this same treat, before your post. You just recycled stuff!

Anyway, if you feel unrespected, sorry.

Ummm.....NO. I addressed every point you made, some were touched on briefly earlier in this thread by Lord Smurf, I simply went a little further and discussed all of your falicies.

After reading your last few posts, it appears you are quite an ass and apparently are pissed because you were so clearly wrong and proven wrong by more than one forum member. Sucks for you, but I guess you'll learn to live with it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ATI debate.

Living in a PAL country, where ATI is distributed form the beginning of PCs, where no Video Card company have local support, my view is this:

ATI support sucks, no doubt. Yet, there is a similar situation with other companies, when one have to rely on the manufacturer's international support.

For people who would like to take a Video/Capturing Card out of the box, install the software from to supplied CD and capture happily in PAL -- as for today, here, ATI does not do it, no way. My other VIVO Video Card, Leadtek A310 TD, does it very well. Yet, my ATI AIW Radeon 7200 was bought 2 years ago, the Leadtek card was bought few months ago. That may explain, at least partially, the difference, and it may not -- I don't know.

Personally, I don't care which of the 2 Video cards I use for capturing, since I capture anyhow with VirtualDub and PicVideo MJPEG codec. Here I cannot see any difference between the 2 cards. I wonder whether the video card makes any difference at all in such a case.

I don't see how anyone who want to deal seriously with this hobby can avoid going oneself into problems solving, with the aid of this forum and maybe similar ones. Just an example. About a year ago I upgraded to DirectX 9. My ATI AIW Video Card stopped functioning and I was going nuts, I even flared in this forum. It took me an agitated week or 2 to solve the problem -- upon upgrading to DirectX 9, I updated my Video Card drivers, but not my Audio Card drivers. My Audio Card stopped functioning and as a result the Video Card could not install the upgraded drivers. Once I upgraded the drivers for the Audio Card, it functioned again, the Video Card upgraded drivers installed and all worked fine. I don't see how anyone could solve such problem without trial and error, relying on any company's support.

Bottom line. For novices PAL users, ATI is no good. For experienced hobbyists, it makes no difference.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Will Hay
    For you folks that prefer the DV route, in your opinion, what's the best DV Camcorder that allows pass-through. Sub-$500 at that. And higher the resolution, the better. I've seen some nice prices on Canons and JVCs lately, just don't know how well they hold up.
    That question is far too objective; how many of us have the chance to thoroughly test three or four DV camcorders?
    Suggest a google search.
    Good luck
    Will
    Google? I suggest you re-read some of your own posts. That's what these forums are for. Now, you SHOULD have said "Try starting a new thread." Would have made a little more sense.
    Listen.
    Message to ****wit with 28 posts.
    Learn to understand the intent of emoticons.
    Oh, and **** off too.
    I haven't time for wankers like you who can't follow the AUP and then lambast the ones who politely point it out.
    Not only do you purpously hijack the post you hijack with something completely off-topic.
    Taken all that in?
    Good.
    Now, click here
    Will
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Blkout
    After reading your last few posts, it appears you are quite an ass and apparently are pissed because you were so clearly wrong and proven wrong by more than one forum member. Sucks for you, but I guess you'll learn to live with it.
    I can't see how the views of two people constitute 'proof' of an argument that is subjective while the views of respondents to the capture card reviews is dismissed and overlooked.

It has been suggested that a lot of AIW users' problems are down to hardware set-up and with relevant tweeking it can be made to work. Well, I'm a simple sort of guy - I expect things to work straight out of the box without the need for users forums (which in itself indicates that the problem is more widespread than supporters of AIW cards would concede).

The Canopus does exactly what it is meant to without having to tweek anything - it's just unfortunate that you were not able to get it to work for you.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Will Hay
    Suggest a google search.
    Good luck
    Will
    Listen.
    Message to ****wit with 28 posts.
    Learn to understand the intent of emoticons.
    Oh, and **** off too.
    I haven't time for wankers like you who can't follow the AUP and then lambast the ones who politely point it out.
    Not only do you purpously hijack the post you hijack with something completely off-topic.
    Taken all that in?
    Good.
    Now, click here
    Will
    My, my, we sound scary don't we. Instead at looking how many posts someone has made, you should look at how long they've been registered. Normally, I just read, but in this case, I decided to post. I'm not going to waste any more time on your remarks, there's football on, which is a little more important to me. Take care, brother.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by rhegedus

The Canopus does exactly what it is meant to without having to tweek anything - it's just unfortunate that you were not able to get it to work for you.

I say the same thing about ATI users.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I say the same thing about ATI users.
    ???
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't waste your time rhegedus...
    Some people don't understand or, they don't want to understand.

@W_Eagle
    You express my points and my views on the subject, in a much better, diplomatic and "american friendly" way than me, so really really thank you!

@Blkout
    Nice to meet you...
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SatStorm
    @W_Eagle
    You express my points and my views on the subject, in a much better, diplomatic and "american friendly" way than me, so really really thank you!
    Welcome, friend.
    Should you ever need an "American friendly" spokesman (for pay, of course) -- I'm at your service ...
    Quote Quote  
  16. This thread really needs to be closed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This thread really needs to be closed.
    In that case (and for the second time), be of some use to the forum and take your whining here
    Will Hay
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Will Hay
    In that case (and for the second time), be of some use to the forum and take your whining here
    Will Hay
    Will,

Tell me to piss off too.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by trevlac
    Will Hay
    Will,

Tell me to piss off too.

Nah, you seem to be a little more balanced
    Sorry to disapoint
    I'm sure taz854965321 is a great guy really, he just needs to stop clenching so tight.
    Will
    Quote Quote  
  20. After reviewing this thread, I felt I had to post my personal opinion. I have just purchased my 2nd AIW which is a 9000 pro I bought new for $100.00 after rebates and let me tell you that I have never been more satisfied! I'm running an Asus board P3 Intel815ep chipset. I have tried lots of different capture software in the past couple years and so far this baby performs flawlessly. My analog captures are excellent and my mpeg times have gone from 1hr. to 2+ and even 4+ for tv movies per disc!!That's incredibly insane in my opinion and I am not dropping any frames. At first I was a little apprehensive in the upgrade but after reading Sir LordSmurf's posts and webpage I decided to take the plunge. WOW! Now I can spend time actually transferring the last 15 years of analog tapes over to DVD and have lots of fun doing it! Instead of always spending my time "looking for the right stuff" to accomplish this task. Anyways, I'm a very satisfied customer at this time using ATI's Radeon card in conjunction with their MMC software. Cheers everyone and enjoy the holidays!
    Bill
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Jeesh.
    These ******* posts.
    What purpose do they serve?
    As hipster quite eloquently put, if you know what you're doing and have a little luck insofar as you have a system with virtually unflawed compatability you will have sucess.
    Whether you have success as far as 240mins captures with absolutely zero drops is open for debate (personally I lose around fifteen frames an hour, yes, fifteen frames an hour; one half of one second for every 3600 captured) but there is no 'which is better'.
    Too many factors.
    How much do you want to learn?
    How much do you know?
    How much time do you want to spend in front of your ******* computer whilst your two year old son is downstairs wanting to play with his truck?
    What level of quality are you prepared to accept?
    If you can't answer all of these questions then welcome to dvdrhelp.com, you're gonna need some time, patience and, unless you're very lucky straight from the bat then money too.
    I had an AIW a few years ago and the bastard thing wouldn't work.
    Did I blame the ATI?
    No.
    Did I lambast the VIA chipset or SB Live 1024?
    No.
    Did I whinge about it?
    Yep, sure did
    I went from the AIW to the Matrox G400 with the Rainbow Runner G add-on and started my first captures.
    I was in hogs heaven.
    I upgraded my motherboard last year and, having seem them for a ridiculously low price on ebay (brand new) picked up an ATI Radeon 64mb ViVo.
    Per pound (sorry, buck) this was the greatest peice of hardware I'd ever owned, it was superb.
    Combined with the PicVideo MJPEG codec and Virtualdub I'd been capturing for a year without little fault, but I count myself lucky.
    Was it because I ensured my motherboard chipset wwas SiS rather than VIA?
    Who cares, all I care is it worked.
    I'm now onto the second part of this thread, I now own an ADVC-100 and have therefore tried both options, ATI and DV, and the one I prefer?
    Neither, they both perform as I want/wanted.
    My needs changed, but my needs are specific to me.
    In conclusion, decide what you need, what your budget is and pick one.
    Hope you get lucky and beware, the ADVC-100, if you choose to go that route, is not the be-all and end-all it's made out to be.
    It's not the height of perfection it's proclaimed to be here but is very, very good.
    And remember, no-one, absolutely no-one will tell you whether the ATI will work or not, unless they have the exact, exact same system.
    Will
    Quote Quote  
  22. The 9700 certainly should not be dropping frames like that. Some useful suggestions have already been made. It was not mentioned which operating system you are using. I recently had an experience with a Windows ME laptop. There were something like nine icons in the system tray. One by one they were eliminated until the capture seemed to be working but the capture would still freeze unexpectedly. There was a fax program on the computer. As soon as a fax was received, it froze. It can take a lot of time and patience to isolate this kind of problem.

You mentioned turning off a wireless LAN. If you have more than one computer, you might want to try installing the 9700 on a different computer and see what the results are like.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LordSmurf and satStorm wrote :

"The only confirmed conflict with AMD is the timer function, and even then, only on some cards with some drivers and some versions of MMC (mostly the new stuff). It's a small percentage"

"Confirmed" here is used with the meaning of "official conflict" right? Well, I talking for the so called "issues". Those can be solved by you or me or any advance user with knowledge of PCs. "

I built my PC myself, and while I ain't a programmer or a video expert, I ain't a newbie as well;

I have an AMD Athlon with an AiW 8500DV card. The ATI Scheduler NEVER worked;
    Ilive in Brazil and sent an e-mail to ATI support, honestly expecting them to never reply me;
    As surprisingly as it can get, it's been 5 months or so of almost weekly emials from/to ATI oficial support, and it's impressive for me how they are absolutely uncapable of fixing a problem at a card of their own !

Sometimes they wrote me : "we have a hw like yours here and got no problems, the schedular works";
    And I told them :"I don't need ATI to tll me it works, I know it does to lots of people, as people say at DVDRhelp site";
    Lately, they have stopped saying that and have asked me countless times to send them "Problem reports", still, they just can't fix it !

I have suggested them that maybe it's related to the AMD processor, but still they just can'tfind it;
    Although the quality of my captures are nice, no sync problems, I might agree : ATI SUCKS

By the way, last week I got the Pinnacle USB deluxe MPEG-2 hw encoder, great results so far, scheduler works;

Zetti
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SatStorm
    No Richard_G...
    I suggest YOU to do a forum (and internet) search about ATI cards before posting...

I always know pretty well what I'm saying and almost half people here agree with me: ATI sucks.
    I agree that ATI sucks. ATI local distributor/services in Ontario sucks. Never buy any ATI product again!
    Sam Ontario
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Honestly, the only ATI AIW cards I hear about being problematic are the 8500DV cards. The DV port was useless and added too much to the card. Better to go with a AIW and then add a GOOD dedicated firewire card.
    Um, just out of curiosity? Why was it useless? Your website says DV merely "copies data" and not really "captures" ... well isn't the 8500DV doing that? I have it, and I cap DV all the time, what's the problem exactly?

Also, one more question I've always wanted to know.
    You mentioned on your website that DV loses quality because it's a form of compression and DV has its own flaws. But does it matter if you're recording to a DV Cassette or not? For instance, will the quality be any different if I'm doing a straight pass-through on my CamCorder and capturing directly, or if I record to a DV tape and then capture when I play-back the tape. Might be a dumb question, but I've always wanted to know.
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If your original source is DV, no loss, because nothing to lose. Anything able to be lost is gone at the shoot. Now, with VHS conversion, you can lose data from the 4:1:1 spec. DV is a great VHS/8mm replacement, but not really a good S-VHS or Betacam replacement. It has flaws, namely 4:1:1.

The DV card problems are hardware conflicts and hardware/software conflicts, nothing else.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Thanks! Luckily I have never had hardware/software conflicts with it, and I'm happy to hear I'm not capturing my DV footage poorly.

Still not sure I understand your answer though, or if you addressed the question... So I'll try and rephrase in case I was unclear...
    Is there any difference if I do this process:
    VCR to Sony CamCorder Pass-Through Straight To Firewire Capture.
    vs.
    VCR to Sony CamCorder, record to DV tape. Then capture DV tape later with Firewire.

Will that depend on the tape quality also?

Thanks for your help!
    Cirving.
    Quote Quote