VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Not sure where (if?) to ask this. I'm thinking about buying a new computer. Looking at pricewatch.com there's a lot of cheap no-name PC133 512MB SDRAMM chips for ~$40, that say they work with the VIA KT133 chipset.

Anyone here using a setup like this? I ask because the main/only reason I'm buying a new PC is to make VCDs (Tbird 1.2Ghz on ECS K7VZA MB http://www.escuas.com). If I had the money I could go corsair/micron/pny but if the cheap stuff works...

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. i have an asus a7v133 with the KT133A, and i got a cheap 128M pc133 somewhere, and it didn't like it. i do however have 320Mb (128 of micron pc100, 128 of noname pc100, 64 is pc133 clocked down) in it now. even when i clocked down to 100Mhz, the cheap 128M 133 didn't work right. it did however work fine at 100Mhz in my friend's MVP3 chipset k6-2, so i just traded.

so if money's not an issue, go with some CAS2 PC133.

btw, i don't really think you need 512Mb for making VCDs, unless maybe you go up to 1.5Gb of ram and capture files to a "ramdrive" to eliminate disk bottlenecks or something, but even that doesn't seem practical since the usual bottleneck is CPU anyhow.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ahh... I've got the KT chipset. Cheapy RAM works fine... as long as it's QUALITY cheapy RAM . Seriously, with the way RAM has dropped, buy Micron CAS2 stuff. $28 for 128MB stick, CAS2. (Something like that.) With FREE shipping too!

I'm using a generic (TI) Micron 128MB stick and a 256MB genuine Micron stick. Both running at CAS2 fine.

If you're making VCD's, overclock the CPU. All you really need is 256MB RAM.
    Quote Quote