VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I need a new computer, and I want to get one with a - and + DVD writer. I am thinking about a dell (because I can configure it just like I want it) but the Dell is only available with a 4x DVD+RW/+R burner. I want a + and a -. So maybe I'll order a Dell with 16x DVD ROM drive and buy an external +/- burner.
    I'll mostly be using it to record DVD movies.

Can anyone give any input on an external DVD +/- burners? I want a decent one !! I'm not looking for the cheapest, but a good burner !!
    Quote Quote  
  2. You're on the right track, buddy!

Use the 16x DVD-ROM for backing up. It's much faster than backinck up with a burner. I can recommend to buy a Pioneer DVR-106 or NEC1300A. Range is $105 - $120 over the Internet. Look on this site for advertisments. Then get an enclosure and put it in if you decide to have it external but you can also put it in your new DELL. Please refrain from cheap enclosures. I had just responded to people who seem to have trouble with those. Personally I have a NEC1300A in a combined Firewire /USB2 enclosure from ADS Technologies. No probs at all. Works like a charm.

Good luck!

Vid
    Quote Quote  
  3. so I can take an internal and buy an enclosure for it?
    how much does a good enclosure cost?

can you recommend a good external +/- ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I just bought an Iomega +- burner from Amazon for $122, including shipping. There's also a $30 rebate from Iomega, so net price $92. The Iomega is a rebadged NEC 1300.

Unless you really need an external drive, it only takes 5 minutes to install an internal drive.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by soimcrazy
    so I can take an internal and buy an enclosure for it?
    how much does a good enclosure cost?

can you recommend a good external +/- ?

Why not just get an internal drive and install it. Takes under 5 - 10 minutes.
    Quote Quote