VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I loaded the mpeg in VCDEasy, set it to put a chapter every 5 minutes, and then pressed 'Go'.
    I was then left with a BIN file, a XML file, and a CUE file.

What do I do with these files? The BIN file plays in Window Media Player, but I can't burn it in Nero because an error message comes up.

I read Sefy's guide on How to create a VCD or SVCD chapters with VCDEasy but it wasn't much help at the end.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In nero burn a image-file. Select the cue file, click burn.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I looked into the Nero help about how to create an Image file, but I don't understand what it does

If I burn the CUE file, then the CD will be only 168 bytes. Where's the movie???
    Quote Quote  
  4. FYI look at the cue file in notepad and all should be clear. Dont alter it at all.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I just opened the CUE file in Notepad, and it said this:

FILE "C:\DOCUME~1\magic_impuls\Desktop\videocd.bin" BINARY
    TRACK 01 MODE2/2352
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
    TRACK 02 MODE2/2352
    INDEX 00 00:04:00
    INDEX 01 00:06:00

Now, I'm not usually a stupid person when it comes to computers, but I haven't got a clue what the means! It should've been explained in Sefy's guide a bit better imo.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The cue file tells the burning program what the bin file contains,what you see in the cue file is the tracks and the length of time,the burning program such as nero has a feature in file/burn image which lets you open the cue file and it then tells nero how to burn the bin file,just click burn and thats all there is to it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why are you putting your files on the desktop ?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by FOO
    Why are you putting your files on the desktop ?
    Thats the only file on my desktop actually. Its just for testing purposes.

Anyway people, that was a lot of information. I still need to know what the hell an image file is in Nero, but I'll find out. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Do you need to know how to make an image file in nero or what an image file is?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by johns0
    Do you need to know how to make an image file in nero or what an image file is?
    erm, yup.
    I ain't got a clue how to make it or what it is
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    an image file is simply a cd thats been copied to the hard drive in the shape of an image file,all the files on the cd are contained within this image file,when you burn it it will be the same as the cd it was copied from.
    Quote Quote  
  12. @magic_impuls, i'm not sure what I should explain more in the guide, would you mind telling me where did you get stuck ?
    Email me for faster replies!

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Certified Computer Technician.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Wasup Sefy, that was a really good guide that you wrote, but right at the end, you wrote ........ Final Step - Burning!
    It would've been better if you said something like ....... You should be left with a BIN file, a CUE file, and an XML file....... and then tell us what to do with these files.
    It would've made it easier for idiots like me

Thanks for the guides anyway, they are very helpful.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In nero 5 using nero wizard:

Complie new cd > other cd formats >create cd from image file > finish > select the cue-file > open ..burn..

or

In nero 5:

File > burn image file > select the cue-file > open and then burn it.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I DID IT!!!!!!! Ha Ha Ha!!!
    Thanks a lot guys.

I've got one problem with the chapters though.....

Lets say my 4th chapter is at 25mins, and my 5th chapter is at 30mins. If I wanted to view something at about 29mins, then I would usually go to chapter 5 at 30mins, and then press rewind. However, when I press rewind, it only rewinds to the start of the chapter, and then stops. It doesn't allow me to rewind further into the previous chapter (4) if you know what I mean.

How do I sort this out???
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Get a brain.
    Just rewind twice dummy
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FOO
    Get a brain.
    Just rewind twice dummy
    Ouch!
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok sorry
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by FOO
    Get a brain.
    Just rewind twice dummy
    Doesn't work. No matter how many times I press rewind, it only stops at the start of the chapter, and doesn't allow me to rewind into the previous chapter.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Are you pressing the "rewind" button or the "previous" button?
    Or in other words, the double arrow, or the double arrow with a line.

Is the previous chapter part of the same MPEG file, or do you have multiple MPEG files on the VCD?

Also, you should be able to burn your movie with VCDeasy. But since you got nero figured out, just stick with that...
    Quote Quote  
  21. I am definately pressing the rewind button. The disc only has one MPEG (a film), and I put 20 chapters that are each about 5mins long in the MPEG using Sefy's guide in VCDEasy.
    Quote Quote  
  22. @magic_impuls, i'm not sure what it matters which files you are left with, as long as you are going to burn them. Since the Burning step, which is the final one, gives you all the programs needed to burn those specific CUE/BIN files.

Anyway, you are supposed to click the Previous and not Rewind to go back to the previous chapter. or you could press the number of that Chapter, just like in a DVD movie.

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Quote Quote  
  23. If I press the Previous button, then it only goes to the start of each chapter. If I want to watch a specific point a few seconds before the start of a chapter, then I need to rewind it, but it doesn't allow me to rewind into the prevous chapter. It stops at the start of the chapter.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I'm not good with the "specs" of VCD, but i'll try getting Vituails to take a look at this, he knows much better then I do

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This just sounds like a limitation of your hardware player. I bet if you play that VCD in a software player like WinDVD it will work exactly how you want it to. VCD chapters are just entry points. Once you have jumped to that point in time in the track you should be able to do anything you normally would do if you had just watched the movie up until that point, but that doesn't preclude your DVD player from registering this chapter information differently/incorrectly. The only solution might be to just jump to the previous chapter and ff from there or to add more chapters, less distance apart.

But what you are trying to do is definitely possible. I can rw and ff through chapter points on all my VCDs. But I bet if I played them on your player I would have the same limitation. All VCD players are not created equally.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for coming back to the original question of magic_impuls, but why on earth should someone use a third soft to burn the cue/bin files?! VCDEasy comes with CDRDAO, you know... Select your cd/dvd-writer, check Simulate, if you don't get any error, change Simulate to Burn, once for good. Piece of cake and it is even explained in full detail @ the www.vcdeasy.org guides...

http://www.vcdeasy.org/modules.php?name=_Guides#burning
    Quote Quote  
  27. I Agree that VCDEasy is capable of Burning the Cue/Bin files, however the CDRDao program doesn't always work good for everyone, so for those it's not, it's always good to have an alternative

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by magic_impuls
    If I press the Previous button, then it only goes to the start of each chapter. If I want to watch a specific point a few seconds before the start of a chapter, then I need to rewind it, but it doesn't allow me to rewind into the prevous chapter. It stops at the start of the chapter.
    This is a consequence of how entrypoint type chapters work: http://www.michaeltam.com/chapters.html

This is the most common way of getting chapter like behaviour (insofar as seamless continuous playback) on almost all VCD compatible devices. However, it does has problems and the one you describe is very common.

There actually is a "proper" way of making VCD chapters, but the fact that essentially no hardware device supports it makes it almost useless. This is a compromise we have to live with in terms of VCD authoring.

As for the burning question, Sefy has already answered for me. CDRDAO does not work for everyone. Not so long ago, it almost could (as long as you had the Adapter ASPI layer installed), but since external drives have become extremely popular, CDRDAO is much less useful (as it can't burn to external drives). It will burn to essentially all internal IDE burners though (as long as the said ASPI layer is correctly installed).

IMHO, the best alternatives are the following.
    1. CDRWin
    2. if that doesn't work, mount the image with Daemon Tools as a virtual CD (very very good support for CUE/BIN format including subchannels and multiple subindices) and then do a DAO copy with CloneCD (excellent burning features and superb hardware support).
    3. if that doesn't work, mount the image with Daemon Tools as a virtual CD and then do a disc copy with Nero
    4. if you are really desperate you can always use an updated version of Nero to burn the CUE/BIN image natively.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I fully agree with the points above about cdrdao and the rest of the progs and techniques mentioned. May I also add a freeware that can burn cue/bin files and it is usually forgotten? BurnAtOnce, aka BAO, www.burnatonce.com Oh, and btw, even the latest CDRwin release does not support my Pioneer DVDR-106D (even if claimed so at the GoldenHawk site...) I used to work a lot with it at the old Plex CDR times, though
    Quote Quote  
  30. @Amerzone, I don't know if you noticed, but burnatonce is also in my guide, and now even a way to burn with DVD Decryptor itself

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Quote Quote