Search Comp PM
    anyone tried?
    is secret menu still available?
    what is new, subtitles or something?

http://www.liteonit.com/DC/english/csd.htm
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Echo the above. Apart from the installation how-to, no documentation accompanies the download. Anyone know what it does???
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Browsed a couple of forums and can probably answer my own question. LITEON indicated a couple of months ago that their October (well, November) update would address the Divx subtitle issue.

This means little to me, so I guess I'll pass on this update.

Otherwise, the player is all pros and few cons. Pros include the upscale to 1080i which, even given the limited info on current DVDs, is a modest improvement on 480p in clarity and color.... And the fact it'll play just about anything round and shiny!

One nitpicking con: the minimal zoom increments.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just tried the new 0301beta

It do support subtitle now.

I only tried with .srt subtitle file and it works. But only English subtitles are displayed correctly. Chinese subtitles are displayed as some strange codes. I have tried to set the DVD language to Chinese throught setup menu but the subtitles are still not displayed properly.

Maybe they will solve this problem in the formal release. Anyway, the support of English subtitle is already a good progress.

Quote Quote  
  5. ~w00t!

Can some one please try playing DivX 3.1 movies on it, and see if it finally works without any problems?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    this is from customer support:

The 0301 contains:
    1.Folder structure
    2.*,srt
    3.*.Ogg
    4.some improvement of Divx
    Quote Quote  
  7. anyone know if it plays avi encoded in DTS? I know it plays ac3 just fine. This would be the final criteria for my buying decision.

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  8. First off, secret menu is still available!

This release is supposed to fix the DIVX 3.11 problems. I'm still testing it out, but so far, so good.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Good news! A DIVX 3.11 movie that had refused to play under 0229 now plays like a champ.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by aybesea
    Good news! A DIVX 3.11 movie that had refused to play under 0229 now plays like a champ.
    that's good to hear. Have you tried divx 3.11 with high bitrates > 1400kb? I have heard the player has more difficult time handling divx 3.11 avi files with higher bitrate. How about DTS avi?
    Quote Quote  
  11. OKay I just installed 3.01 beta and it plays Charlie's angels in divx3.11. Previous firmware freezes real badly. So, perhaps, it's fixed. Kudos to Liteon for listening to your customer. But this movie is at 128Kbps audio. Anyone tried anything at a higher rate?

Prospective buyer, watch this thread. It may be time to go out and buy this player and make a cult out of it.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Simply stated, the Lite-on is the best stand alone player there is.
    So versitile and plays EVERYTHING as well a Divx. Accepts flash memory as input, etc. Amazing for the price.

I figured out that it pays for itself pretty quickly by just saving on my media costs. Everything I encode is in Divx format now and I can stick 4 to 7 full length backups of movies in high quality Divx format on a single DVD-R or DVD+R.

Also, when burning your backups is a simple data backup which appears to be much more reliable than doing DVD video burns.

DVD De-encrypter, save only the movie files, then I go to Dr. Divx to create the Divx file. There it is up to me on disk space verus quality, I almost always go for higher quality.

I will probably get another one for my kids area.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    While keeping my fingers crossed (I've read some "horror"stories about updating firmware) dropped the 0301beta-firmware-cd in the LiteOn and the updateprocess went like a breeze (he of little faith :P ).
    A DivX 3.11 LowMotion (lots of freezes played under FW 2.29) runs smoothly.
    Next thing to test are the subs.
    Does anyone know if it's possible to have two selectable subs with one AVI?

Did a test with some MP3's in a few folders on a CD-RW, the LiteOn starts to play the first folder and the first MP3 in that folder. The sortorder is alpha numeric, make sure you rename each file in every folder with leading numbers (01-title.mp3, 02-title.mp3 etc.) the same goes for the folders. Have not yet tested what the LiteOn does with the MP3's in the root of the CD-RW.
    While playing the folders, it's not possible to skip the songs or change folder. Only stopping playback makes this possible, but then the LiteOn only plays the selected file. Must be a setting that I forgot to change, if someone could help me out here ....
    Quote Quote  
  14. Press "repeat" on the remote contorl until it says "repeat disk". worked for me.
    navgation with folders could be better (cursor left on remote control: go to first entry in list, cursor right go to last or left go up one folder or anything like that; or programming the numeric keys ion the rc for some functions...)
    but that folder thing is great. could be better but it works fine at this moment.
    a short list of things that could be enhanced:
    - better navigation in folders (as mentioned above)
    - selecting next title while one ist playing
    - shuffle playback of folder or disk
    - display an existing .jpg in a folder as an album cover

didnt test it, but does the folder thing work with .jpgs, too ???

markus
    Quote Quote  
  15. Bad news, just tested it out with matrix: reloaded (dvd-rip) DivX 3.1 (high Bit rate) and it was still freezes, although it was better then the the .29 frimwire but it still freezes.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by ps2wiz
    Bad news, just tested it out with matrix: reloaded (dvd-rip) DivX 3.1 (high Bit rate) and it was still freezes, although it was better then the the .29 frimwire but it still freezes.
    that is bad news. I was hoping to hear good feedback on 3.11 high bitrate playback before I pick on up today. Now I'm torn. Does it support subtitles in doublebyte characters, like japanese or korean? or how about even the files names?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Yea, kinda sad. It does play them (DivX 3.11- High Bit Rate), but scene freezes will occur about 3 times durring 5 mins or so, which is irrating. And im not sure about the subtitles, never bothered with them, since I can only read English.

But once again, keep in mind that this is just a beta bios, and lite-on seems to be comited to releasing new bios's, they've been releasing new bios' every month now... But still, not bad since you can pick this bad boy up for $99 these days.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by ps2wiz
    Yea, kinda sad. It does play them (DivX 3.11- High Bit Rate), but scene freezes will occur about 3 times durring 5 mins or so, which is irrating. And im not sure about the subtitles, never bothered with them, since I can only read English.

But once again, keep in mind that this is just a beta bios, and lite-on seems to be comited to releasing new bios's, they've been releasing new bios' every month now... But still, not bad since you can pick this bad boy up for $99 these days.
    whoa, I haven't seen the player for $99. Is it online price? I was going to make a trip to PC Club this afternoon...
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Horror stories about loading Lite-on firmare ????

Huh ?? Put it on a CD, put it in, the LCD tells you what it is doing, done.

Also, in this, the majority have 3.1 playing fine, I personally do not use that protocol and backup everything into whatever is the latest version.
    I know Dr. Divx would update it to a newer protocol and I believe they are having a sale on it currently.

But as you can tell, Lite-on is committed to continuous improvement. I hope not to upset you 3.11 guys, but I would rather they they focus most of their R&D on upgrades and improvements rather than backward compatibility with an old versions. That is always a touch decision for a company.

I believe next month version 5.1.1 will be incorporated into Dr. Divx which will make encoding faster, something I can't wait to happen. That is where I hope they spend most of their time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    [quote]But still, not bad since you can pick this bad boy up for $99 these days.[quote]

where?
    Jim
    Quote Quote  
  21. $30 Rebate from PC Club, and if your going to get this, get it tomorow at the latest, it expires tommorw (11/16/03).

http://www.pcclub.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A1546968
    http://www.pcclub.com/promo/stuff/rebates/a1546967.pdf

And I did have a minor problem with the update, but everything turned out okay. All the letters on the screen were scrambled up, I couldnt read the progress, and luckly it also displays the progress on the LCD and you dont have to touch anything to update it, just pop it in, wait 5 mins and you're set.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I had no so good experience with 2001-0301 update yesterday.
    After installation, lot of CDs could be recognized just after pushing STOP button twice. Before player shows message
    " Reading
    .jr
    "
    I've tried to restore 2001-0229 (because everything was OK with 0229).
    I've loaded CD with 2001-0229 to tray. Update process erased flash memory, recorded new version and stuck. No TV output, no reaction on hitting any buttons, no remote control. Just warning on internal display "POWER ON". I've waited about 20 min, after that unplug power cord, plug it again - got same message "POWER ON".

I've sent e-mail to LiteOn service DCTW_Service@liteonit.com, they forwarded my request to LITEON American Support. Now I'm going to exchange player.
    I mean It's problem with one particular device (unf it's my player )
    Quote Quote  
  23. Seems like a problem with your player....

Have you tryed cleaning the lens?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with ps2wiz. This definately sounds like a problem with your particular player.

Is Lite-on willing to exchange it ??? If so that is good to know and that is excellent.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @smelepo

If LiteOn is willing to replace your player, please don't try to clean the lens. I don't think the optical unit is the "troublemaker" in this case, the unit is way to young to have a filthy lens.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Please get me trough the light ! I tried to put .srt subtitle in .avi CD . Not working. I tried with .ssa and many kind of subtitles formats. No way.
    Somebody who have succesful witj 0301beta version pls. show me the steps. I upgrade the firmware, I have a .srt subtitle with same name with the .avi file and not working.
    Quote Quote  
  27. By cleaning the lens, I didnt mean to actually open it. I meant to use one of those cd lens cleaners, were the cd has little brushes on it. I cant see how it could hurt.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't imagine that a machine that young can be filthy (I mean the lens).
    All I'm saying is if the LiteOn people are willing to exchange the machine don't do anything to the machine, at least not with smelepo's luck
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Has anyone realized that the instructions for creating the formware CD are wrong.

They gave some pictures on using Nero to create a ISO backup of their firmware.
    After I did this while following the instructions and it did not work I went "DUH".

Then I open by Nero 6 and simply say burn image, it exploded the files onto my CD-RW, I put it in my Lite-on and it installed fine.

It is essential to look at the instructions, BUT, next time I need to think. All their instruction for Number 2 will do will copy the Nero image file (.nrg) to a CD. Of course the DVD player will not be able to explode the image file, it will just tell you NO FILES.

Just open up Nero and burn the image to a CD.

I give myself and Liteon on large DUH for this.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Yea, here is what i do.

Open nero, file-->open--->(select it, then a window pops up) and burn.
    Quote Quote