VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Exactly what did their response mean???? I think someone be hitting the Crack just a bit too hard....

Anyways my LVD2002 should be on my doorstep by Monday I'll let post my comments on it when it arrives.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I had a feeling like that when I bought mine but it does so much stuff I'll stick with it and you know somebody smart will hack the firmware and add features just like the OFFA firmare for the Sampo and Their clones. It'll be like the ad 600a I bought when they first came out, or the Haier hd 700 I bought later on a hunch from Fry's that works with the OFFA to firmware directly
    These machines will probably do many things that LiteOn did or did not envision when they designed them and increase in value like the 600 did on e-bay for years even though better units came out to replace it. I have written them to let them know it would be a good idea to at least keep supporting it if they come up with better ideas or fixes and a even better idea to keep making it because many people want one unless they are going to release a even more capable unit soon. You also have to remember this is their first try at consumer goods and they may have learned a lot from this unit and now know where their true market is and what will really sell. The first units from many manufacturers breaking into a market have killer features and build, then they learn what really sells and back off the features and quality a bit after they have a following.
    Sony did this with their very first VHS vcr's. I have a Sony slv 676 that is about 12 years old and with a couple of very minor repairs still works great. It has features I had never seen on another unit and the build quality is stellar, they also released the S-VHS slvr5 that people still try
    find because of it's advanced features and editing capabilities, many also included in my 676 without the Svhs recording.
    They haven't made any units like them since, but I paid 500 for mine and the 5 was 1200.
    I doubt you could even sell a unit of this quality now, and never at those prices, the mass has spoken and cheap with no extra features is it, dvd recordable is taking over from VHS anyways.
    Quote Quote  
  3. On this forum, a user named SMELEPO has a bug flashing firmware 0301 beta.
    His liteon is out of order ‘POWER ON’
    A French user found the solution to unlock "POWER ON"

HERE THE PROCEDURE TO BE FOLLOWED:

Light your Liteon LVD 2001 and insert your update CD-Rom recently burned (with firmware 0227 for example or 0301 beta)
    Press key "STOP" and at the same time disconnect the cord and reconnect .
    Press "PLAY", your Liteon restart: the update of the firmware launches automatically and your LITEON play again.

On the french forum http://www.xsorbit3.com/users/obiwan207/index.cgi All lvd 2001 freezed during flashing operation run again with this tips.

Sorry for my english, i am french.

Cad
    Quote Quote  
  4. where can u still purchase the 2001?
    without resorting to ebay
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I feel like embarrassed to say this, but I have had no problems when I installed the firmware and my LVD 2001 works GREAT. I love it.

I play mostly Divx video on it, and I am not concerned with compatibility of Divx 3.0, I have said before that I am WAY more concerned with compatibility with the latest versions of Divx, not technology that is a few years old.

What I have noticed is that the screen looks nicer when a data DVD is loaded and more important to me is that the fast forward is when watching Divx video is much smoother and faster when it does move a minute at a time. I also have used to fast forward to an exact location by time which works well.

Jon
    Quote Quote  
  6. If you still want the firmware since it has been removed, http://www.liteonit.com/DC/english/images/zip/2001-0301.zip
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hello
    when will be final 0301 firmware finaly>
    they messed up 0301 beta...still do not see new fixed?
    anyway i tried ogg with 0301beta....it does not play...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hello everyone!

First of all a big thanx for all of you for discussing so many stuff here, and saving me a lot of time, cause this way I did not have to try out all the possibilities.

But now I NEED HELP!!!

Here is my story: I bought this DVD player in August for my parents, so they can watch my movies. The thing is that my mom does not speak any english , so I do need subtitle support. So I could forget about the player for month and still waiting for the new firmware which supports subtitles. But last week I had time to experience with it. I have burned the 229 firmware and updated my DVD player. For my surprise the player did not play any avi files (neither divx nor xvid) only one mpg file played right, and that played so right that no waiting was when forwarding or so. So I downgraded to the 227 firmware version. Now it played everything – just like before – but at shitty quality (freezing at action, have to convert with virtualdub).

So I thought that there must have been some problems when I first upgraded, so I burned the 229 firmware again and tried to upgrade. I did (I wish I did not) without any problems, but after turning it off and turning it on my Liteon player it did not respond! I deconnected and connected again and all it says on its screen: POWER ON
    And this is it. Nothing else I can do it does not respond to the remote and it does not respond to any of it’s buttons. I cannot even open up the DVD tray, so I’ve killed it.

Can anybody help me, any ideas what I should do now? You are my only hope (Obiwan) PLÍÍÍZ HELP!!!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Tetsuo,

this was posted by cad123 about five replies up to fix your problem.

On this forum, a user named SMELEPO has a bug flashing firmware 0301 beta.
    His liteon is out of order ?POWER ON?
    A French user found the solution to unlock "POWER ON"

HERE THE PROCEDURE TO BE FOLLOWED:

Light your Liteon LVD 2001 and insert your update CD-Rom recently burned (with firmware 0227 for example or 0301 beta)
    Press key "STOP" and at the same time disconnect the cord and reconnect .
    Press "PLAY", your Liteon restart: the update of the firmware launches automatically and your LITEON play again.

On the french forum http://www.xsorbit3.com/users/obiwan207/index.cgi All lvd 2001 freezed during flashing operation run again with this tips.

Sorry for my english, i am french.

Cad
    Quote Quote  
  10. First upgrade the 301 beta firmware. The subtitles file must be *srt format with same name like avi. read pls. all the topics about LVD 2001. When you upgrade the firmware put the cd in machine, power off, and power on again. Just to be sure. I will come back later with explainations because I'm too drunk in this moment to think well. First time I was close to burn this Lite-On stand-alone player (live, tape it on CD), and now I just love it.
    PS. : Sorry for my bad english, like I said I'm too drunk.
    Quote Quote  
  11. The firmware upgrade process couldn't be easier IMO. I just downloaded the update, burned the .nrg iso to a CD-RW, stuck it in and it updated.

If you don't have nero, they provide the instructions to burn the separate files to a disc. So that should not be a concern.

As a suggestion, put the new firmware on a cdrw so youre not wasting cdrs for a 5 meg file. Just erase the cdrw when a new version comes out and burn the new image.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hi Scrotus,

Thanx for the fast reply. I have to tell you that i did miss that quote, so thanx.

BUT i cannot do what is written there. My english is not the best, so i do not really understand what "Light your Liteon" means. Anyway as i wrote i can not even open the tray, so i can not insert any CD-s or DVD-s into it.

Still i tried to do as written "Press key "STOP" and at the same time disconnect the cord and reconnect" but it did not work. It still says POWER ON and nothing else!

Cad123,

could you explain again what to do in this situation, where do i have to push the "stop" button/key (on the remote or on the player), and what should happen after? (tried both, non worked)

Thanx!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Tetsuo
    i can not even open the tray, so i can not insert any CD-s or DVD-s into it.

Still i tried to do as written "Press key "STOP" and at the same time disconnect the cord and reconnect" but it did not work. It still says POWER ON and nothing else!
    I am having the same problem tonight. I also tried the method mentioned above (quite a few times) but it didn't work.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Smelepo,

If you are still out there, did Liteon exchange your player, or coud you do anything to solve this problem? Because i live in Hungary and i bought this player in Germany, where i can not take it back in the near future. (OK my fault, but not too many possibilities where i live, and no such thing as 3 month money back guarantee)

Somebodeez,

Try to push constantly the eject button when you connect the cord, this way the tray openes. BUT it still wont do anything with the inserted firmware, or anything else.

Many of you wont like me now, but i have to say that this player is as good as cheep it is, or even less. For four month now i (my parents) can not use it for reasons mentiond above. And if you are going to buy a player for Xmas that plays your movies, i suggest you to look around first (eg. XBOX is a bit more expensive, BUT plays all types of stuff without any problem (all types of divx, xvid, mov... and no freezing no need to convert all your stuff, saves time and anger) and you can even play games if you want to, and you can go online...)

Be wiser than i was!

The wiseguy
    Quote Quote  
  15. Thank you, Tetsuo. Unfortunately, I have a CD stuck in mine
    Quote Quote  
  16. I received a reply from LiteOn this morning. Their suggestion was:

Thanks for your support in liteON!

Sorry for not assist you as easy as online tech-support and for the disturbance by the stuck on
    firmware updating.

Please try the following tip which is approved by some end users and our FAE afterwards, alternative
    but amazing:

PUT A FLASHING CD IN IT, THEN DISCONNECT THE POWER CABLE AND RECONNECT IT WHILE PRESSING
    ALTERNATIVELY THE BUTTONS "PLAY" AND "STOP".THE UPDATE CD WILL START TO READ AND FLASH ON WITH NOT
    PROBLEM. THEN LVD2001 WORKS!

If it still no help, please feedback ASAP!

Thanks for your cooperation and trust.

Best regards.
    This hasn't worked for me
    Am waiting for further instruction from them. I am encouraged by thier message though - they do seem to care.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Thanx for sharing that info with us, it is good to know, that they do seem to care. BUT i have tried this before and now again - no luck at all.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I received another reply after letting them know that didn't work - this one not so helpful:

Dear Sir,

If that case ,we suggest you go back to your retailer for further inspection.

BR!

AW
    So I contacted PC Club and now I'm waiting for a reply from them (sigh).
    Quote Quote  
  19. somebodeez,

you can open the player up. It has a regular PC dvd rom in it. There should be the manual eject button on the drive itself. You know, there's usually a small hole that you can put a paper clip in to manually release the tray. You could then get the disc out. Maybe the drive failed.
    Quote Quote  
  20. to eject your cd:
    unplug your liteon
    press eject bouton and plug the liteon (with ejec button pressed)
    and the cd is ejected
    Quote Quote  
  21. Thanks but that didn't work either
    Have it packed up and will be sending to to PC Club tomorrow. They said that since LiteOn has discontinued this model, the only thing they can do is send it on to LiteOn for repair/replacement. (sigh)
    Quote Quote  
  22. Hey there ppl, I also am wondering bout the new firmware for the LVD-2001, since I've bought me one 3 weeks ago for 169 euro (NL). Am thrilled with its capabilities, after installing I updated firmware to 0229, and have no problems what so ever.Plays all dvd's all regions perfectly, plays Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS as well. Very nice progr. scanning. The Mem.slot is a " nice to have" but not necissary for me. But, since I am from the Netherlands, and some ppl with me watching the movies cannot understand english that well, i really wanted the .srt-files to be working for the .avi/divx-files. Now it should work after flashing to 0301beta, but i have read about the many problems the 0301beta brings. For example:

- Xvid on 90 minute cd's not playable anymore (where it does with 0229)
    - Some Xvid's freeze up.
    - Divx 3.11 runs worse with firmware 0301beta , where 0229 runs fine.
    - Cannot flash back to older firmware.

I do however would like to see those darn .srt-files working, but if the above is all true, i rather stick with 0229, and hoping (like all you guys) LiteOn WILL bring out a final for this model.
    If not it would def. Suck!!
    Quote Quote  
  23. it doesnt support srts with 229? I thought it did. Make sure your srt file has the same name as the divx/xvid file and has the .srt extension. Are you sure you have the subs turned on while watching the movie?
    Quote Quote  
  24. 229 doesn't work with .srt subtitle. One month ago I upgrade with 301 firmware and is work ( not very fine, but acceptable). And .srt subtitle also.
    But I realised something, when subtitle is more then 100 k you can see only a part of movie with subtitle. So for this problem I burn second Cd with same movie with second part of the subtitle ( I arange that with Subtitle Workshop program) , and I can watch the final of movie with subtitle.
    I tried also to put 5 .avi movies on the DVD burned like data. I can see the movies, also 2-3 hours of Xvid format, but subtitle doesn't work exactly for that reason.
    You can put also small episodes on 1 CD , for example I put 12 episodes of Friends on 1 Cd , but only 5 episodes works with subtitle. So I burn 5 episodes = 300 Mb , because 5 subtitles = 100 k. And is work.
    Another tip: after you watch a movie with subtitle, you must eject the Cd, power off the Lite-on player, after that power on, insert the new CD and you can see another movie without problem. It's better.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
    Quote Quote  
  25. .srt files definately don't work with 0229 firmware, tried my *ss off, so check your firmware again if it does. All divx/xvid/avi/mpg movies i've played so far work really good, so thats not the reason for updating firmware. Mailed to LiteOn Customersupport several times without any reply. Guess we just have to wait....
    Quote Quote  
  26. DivX 3.11 playback is *much* better with the new firmware so definitely use it if your gonna play divx 3 movies.

To all the people who don't care about this fine, but why care about DivX 5? Where are you getting DivX 5 movies anyway? The only formats movies are released online is VCD, SVCD, DivX 3.11, XViD and DVDR.

And if your doing your own encodes (why not use xvid?) just keep using 5.0 and you'll be fine yeah? Don't see the problem.

Anyway festive greetings hope you all get to watch lots of stuff on your LVD's over the holidays :)

=rez=
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Divx5 is also a very popular format, and it is currently the only legal "format" in many countries.
    Quote Quote  
  28. I get so much freeze with 0301 when buring 6-7 movies on a dvd.... it would play one or two movies and it would freeze in the middle of a third one. and then I have to unplug and plug the player back which is a pain.

What is the deal with 0301 final version? I emailed LITEON's technical support about it 2 weeks ago and I got no response whatsoever. That is weird because Liteon had been very good about coming back to me; they always respond within less than a day! Yet they were silent.... Did anyone hear different?
    Quote Quote