VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Hmm, I just went to http://www.liteonit.com.tw/DC/english/csd.htm to see if perhaps they posted a version after the 0.301 beta. No new version and 0.301 is gone. I downloaded it already but I have been waiting to see if any problems were reported before trying it. I think I will wait a it longer because they removed 0.301 for some reason.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Yea, wierd. This scares me, lol.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jolo
    I agree with ps2wiz. This definately sounds like a problem with your particular player.

Is Lite-on willing to exchange it ??? If so that is good to know and that is excellent.
    I've sent it back to MWAVE.com where I've bought this player.
    The responce from LiteOn Support Service was a pretty fast, also as from MWAVE.com Service.
    Will wait replacement.

But anyway I likes LVD-2001 - It plays 80-85% of my CDs.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Oh, it's done with subtitles. I upgrade the firmware again and it's working. I record a CD with .avi file (ex: The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) and *.srt subtitle converted from *.sub with Subtitles Workshop (the name of subtitle must be the same like .avi file).
    The CD must be finalized the session after burning.
    For working properly, after you watch a divX movie with *.srt subtitle, take out the CD, power off the Lite-ON before insert another one.
    Tip: be pacient, sometimes it takes 10 seconds to read the .srt subtitle.

I tried also with DVD , 5 movies .avi format in folders. Every folder with *.srt subtitles near the avi file. Result : you can see the movie but not the subtitle.
    Quote Quote  
  5. hmm, i just went to www.ncix.com to get the LVR-2001 and they had taken it off the site, any idea why?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I wish Flylow had posted the info about the firmware upgrade being pulled, before I already installed it last night. I wonder how long it will be now before Liteon releases another properly working update?

I too had the garbled characters on the screen while upgrading, but I didn't worry because an earlier poster said it still worked o.k. for him. It now plays a particular 3.11 divx movie fine now, that it used to lock up in the middle of. I've also verified that it can navigate folders. I haven't tried any subtitles.

However there are some bugs... There is a noticeable long delay before it starts playing a divx movie. Also if I stop a movie it seems to lock up the player to the point that I have to pull the power cord to get it back! When this happens, on the blue screen it displays the track title as random characters (the title was displayed fine at the top when I started it playing). As I recall now, I believe that if I eject instead of stopping it, that process seems to work o.k..

Macfixer01
    Quote Quote  
  7. I tried the 31.01 firmware.

Garbage tekst when updating.
    Divx movies takes like 3-4 minutes to start.
    Some divx movies dont start at all.

lol i know it is a beta but, obvious things like this
    should have been removed in initial testing at LieOn.

And how about updating the HOW TO burn the nero image ?
    The screens are displayed in fu*king chinese.
    Would have taken them like 10 minutes to fix that,
    and why bother including a description that is obsolete ? Like
    burning withe the linux.bin etc.

I'm back on 02.29, which works.

I see they have removed the beta from their site so
    i guess it was shite.

Hopefully they will come up with a working version soon

d
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How did you downgrade to 2.29? Did you just re-flash with the old version?

I upgraded to the new beta and wish I'd waited until the final version. No great problems (so far), except the beta threw out all my brighness, contrast and saturation settings. I'd like to get back to 2.29... but not if I'm going to screw up the whole show.

As for burning the Nero image... yeah, it takes a while to figure. I used ISOBUSTER to extract all the files in the NRG file and then followed the difficult-to-follow instructions for case one, i.e., making a boot ISO disk.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Ozzie7
    How did you downgrade to 2.29? Did you just re-flash with the old version?
    Yes.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I loaded the new firmware (0301) and subjected it to my ultimate test - Gandalf v the Balrog - for low motion Divx3. There was a definite improvement but still some freezing. This is academic as I re-encode my older to Xvid before playing using VirtualDub.

I also got non recognition of some files that worked perfectly well on release 0229.

FF and REW for AVIs worked well - no "please wait" on first try and no clunking sounds as I paged through.

When I found 0301 had gone from the Liteon site I immediatly re-flashed 0229 with no ill effects (so far).

On the subject of using Nero to create the flash file, I get a MS Word file with the firmware which is perfectly clear as to how to proceed using the unzipped *.nrg file.

The Liteon update site now has links to a Q & A and other useful info - including the fact that DTS is supported.

Now waiting for Liteon to update.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I asked Liteon about the 301beta Firmware Problem, if i should reflash to 229 and about if they plan to replace the 2001 with the 2002 (and if so, if they will stop further development of new firmware for the 2001.
    heres the answer:

Dear Sir,

1.Stay with the 0301 ,wait for the formal version releae.

2.Indeed ,we plan to stop updating the new firmware for 2001 in the near future , but not decided
    yet.

Best Regards!

AW

SO it seems the 2001 will be canceld, no more firmware updates. if anone plans to buy, he should be fitted better with the 2002.

markus
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    according to your message if liteon plans not to support lvd 2001 with other firmware in the near future i can say only this:

THEY WILL just SCREW US ALL....because another divx codecs will be available...i am sure

i bought this lvd 2001 just because of firmware upgrade support...
    and now after 2-3 months from date they started to sell this product...
    they just going not deliver another firmware upgrades in the future...for 2001.....it is stupid i say.....

if they do that i will want to exchange my player for lvd 2002....for sure...
    no compromise....

have to say....they just lied to us all about their support for this lvd 2001 player......

what you think people about?????????????

write to customer service:
    dctw_service@liteonit.com
    Quote Quote  
  13. Wtf, stop development on the firmware ? humm...

So if a new divx version is released then we can just
    throw the LiteOn player in the thrash ?
    It becomes a useless piece of shit..

The abillity to do firmware updates was one of the main reason for buying
    this player.

If they stop development, then this is my last LiteOn product thats
    for sure.

And i really dont understand the LV2001 / LVD2002 products.
    Did they downgrade the player because it was too expensive to
    produce or something ? lol

d
    Quote Quote  
  14. hmm this is shocking news
    I thought the 2002 wasn't even a divx player
    Quote Quote  
  15. From what I interpreted from the email response, there's was no definitive decision made to stop supporting the firmware. They said they "plan to." that doesn't mean they "will." I'll believe it when I see it.

I am still looking to buy 2001 as it supports 1080i. I cannot believe 2002 does not support it. I am having hardtime finding 2001 at any retail store. I'd even venture to say I am willing to buy 2002 and swap for 2001. Anyone want to make a deal?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you in the U.S.? If so follow the link in the 2001 site to the various PC Club stores.

I bought this machine for the two major reasons of upscaling to 1080i and that it plays every DVD I burn... + or - ... R or RW. Everything else is a side benefit as far as I'm concerned.

I may jump from the H of the Hollywood sign if LiteON discontinue their support for this player.
    Quote Quote  
  17. PCClub no longer carries the 2001, but zipzoomfly.com does.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Ozzie7, what link are you referring you when you said "follow the link in the 2001 site to the various PC Club stores"?

aybesea, zipzoomfly.com has the 2001 listed. However, it's out of stock and the back order button is disabled.

I really want to get a hold of this player. I could use any help.

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  19. If they stop developing it the firmwire I belive it could be easily updated by anyone that knows their way around linux. Since the player runs "uClinux" which is a distro of linux. And im still waitig for some one to modify the firmwire for Hard Drive IDE support, and etc..

BTW, teramesher: try looking here.

http://shop.bizrate.com/buy/superfind.xpml?search_box=1&keyword=lvd+2001&cat_id=1&SEAR..._GO=Find+it%21
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if they stop support lvd 2001 with new firmware i will just return it to liteon for exchange for lvd 2002.....
    what liteon thinks.....customers are idiots or what......
    everybody bought liteon lvd 2001 for later customer support and firmware upgrades....
    what was the reason the lvd 2002 has been released anyway.....
    it is unlogical.....
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's the link for PC Club
    http://www.pcclub.com/
    Phone numbers are included in the PC Club site, so check first.

Surprised if they no longer stock the 2001. A friend bought one from the Monrovia store just 3 days ago.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hello guys

i just received email from pcclub....

it is confirmed....liteon lvd 2001....has been discontinued from liteon...

that is reason why pcclub does not carry this player anymore....
    Quote Quote  
  23. It sucks but thats progress - how long did you really think that Liteon was going to be releasing firmwares for this player to such a limited audience? It plays DVDs, DIVX and XVID as well as VCD and SVCD and MP3s + WMA. So it doesn't play some ass old DIVX ( 3.11, come on!!! ). It does exactly what you paid for and now you want Liteon to release code to make it do more? Thats not a particularly good business model.

And in fact it could be argued that this action will force people into reverse engineering the code.

HEY - LINUX is GPL!! SO WHERE IS THE SOURCE CODE
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Progress? How is it progress to screw your customers??? Are there any lawyers in the group who'd want to start a class-action suit? If they want to come out and say that the end of 2004 is the cutoff date or something, that's one thing. To suddenly just say they're dropping support while their dealers are still promising updates is crap!

I only bought my LVD2001 two months ago. I could care less if it plays every single 3.11 movie I have or not, but I do expect it to play new current versions of divx (5.1) or it'll quickly be worthless. If I can't even re-encode the old movies with the latest software and get them to play, then what good is it?

Macfixer01
    --------------------

Originally Posted by triphop
    It sucks but thats progress - how long did you really think that Liteon was going to be releasing firmwares for this player to such a limited audience? It plays DVDs, DIVX and XVID as well as VCD and SVCD and MP3s + WMA. So it doesn't play some ass old DIVX ( :shock: 3.11, come on!!! :shock: ). It does exactly what you paid for and now you want Liteon to release code to make it do more? Thats not a particularly good business model.

And in fact it could be argued that this action will force people into reverse engineering the code.

HEY - LINUX is GPL!! SO WHERE IS THE SOURCE CODE :evil: :evil:
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It says they are dicontinuing the production of that model which is typical. I doubt they are going to stop supporting it for awhile. Not to mention aren't the 2001 and 2002 fairly similar? Can't mean much work to keep updates for both going at least to be able support the latest changes in DivX.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Hold on a second mate? Just how long do you expect Liteon to carry on upgrading the LVD 2001? 1 year, 2 years? The Liteon does everything that it claims on the box but you want them to carry on adding features for free? I think you need to wake up a little bit here - its not like you bought a $1000 machine with an annual support contract

Also I might think that a class action suit would have very few grounds to proceed on - there is no guarantee to continually upgrade the unit beyond the stated specifications. The only warrantee on the unit is to perform as advertised. Defective units get replaced - correctly working units do not get upgraded for free.

What would be nice if the hacker community started to get involved here. This will require a critical mass of people using this player. I think that the link nature of the firmware ensures that this unit will be hacked. The ARM linux toolchain and the ISO image of the firmware looks hackable. I do not have the time but...
    Quote Quote  
  27. To anyone who has got problems with the subtitles.

Just press subtitle if you have got an avi and a srt file on your disk. If you have got multiple avi's then select the subtitle number according to your movie. It's not necessary to have the same name for the files.

Currently the subtitles are working but they are about a second too fast.

I was wondering if somebody else also has this problem as well.

Yeps and still my 3.11 DIVx are not working like they should be
    just another freeriding cyber-junkie ;)
    Quote Quote  
  28. In the specs, it says:
    · DolbyR Digital (Dolby AC-3) and dtsR Digital Outputs

Is that a typo on DTS"R"? Is there such thing as dtsR?
    Quote Quote  
  29. I usually email my questions to the Headquarter, but I decided to send it to US branch this time:

I am trying to decide whether to buy 2001 or 2002. I know you discontinued 2001. I have also heard
    the rumors that you might be stopping release new firmware for 2001. Is that true? There뭩 no
    point in buying 2001 if there won뭪 be no firmware upgrade in the future. However, 2002 does not
    support 1080i. Are you planning to support 1080i for 2002 in future firmware upgrade?

And the following is the response:

Nothing is wrong so far but not perfect. PhomasterLVD-2001 is really technically patched. It has connected the world with endless happy surprise and priceless support during its 10-month life.

No matter what the new birth ( the current LVD2002 is a comparatively simplified and cheaper version) and rebirth( through firmware updating) are, they come out with the collaborated solutions achieved by all LiteON lovers. And they are in LiteON family and we are at your service.

2001 and 2002 are of the same designing and firmware program which will reach the final stage of V301 soon. V301 beta is a 3-day trial for its official birth and our RD team has been inspired and challenged by all the users' ideas on the coming release. We will do the best to make it a thrill and the TERMINATOR for good!

I am a bit amused with the email. He didn't answer my question, but decided to do a marketing speech... I don't know about you, but the guy/gal seems to be a little off.
    Quote Quote