VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Has anyone experienced this? The discs that I bought from Shop4Tech.com (Leda and Ritek 4x DVD-R 4.7GB ) take 30 minutes to burn, which is a little longer than normal. My burner is Sony DRU500AX with the latest firmware. And I use Ulead Moviefactory 2.0 (patched Aug 2003) to burn DVD-Video discs. During burning, the progress bar in MovieFactory would move from 0% to 100% in about 15 minutes, then it would take another 15 minutes to actually finalize the disc to complete the burn. With other brands of discs bought elsewhere, I don't have this problem -- Verbatim DVD-R 4x bought from Meritline.com, Memorex DVD+R 4x bought from Amazon.com. All the burns have been successful. And burning data DVDs doesn't seem to cause the slowdown. So I wonder why the slowdown occurs only when I burn DVD-Video with the discs I bought from Shop4Tech.com. Anyone has similar experience?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ithink it is making an ISO file first then it is burning the complete project
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your burner/software may not recognize the DVDR's disk ID, so it's defaulting to a generic 2x. It may also be rolling back (like treating RITEK G04's as G03's). Generally speaking this is bad, since you power calibration is a guess. Have you ever done an error check on your disk after it's been burned?
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan
    Quote Quote  
  4. But the discs are indeed recognized as 4x by the software. Burning goes from 0% to 100% in 15 min, in keeping with 4x speed, but it takes another 15 min to finalize. So it seems something goes awry during finalizing...

I never do error checking. But all the DVD-Video discs I've made work.

I say it's the crappiness of the Leda and Ritek (brandless, actually) discs that is the cause. I'll try other brands.

The Leda discs also produce occasional stuttering playback on my standalone Panasonic RV30 player.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dvdr_kevyip_dvdr
    Has anyone experienced this? The discs that I bought from Shop4Tech.com (Leda and Ritek 4x DVD-R 4.7GB ) take 30 minutes to burn, which is a little longer than normal. My burner is Sony DRU500AX with the latest firmware. And I use Ulead Moviefactory 2.0 (patched Aug 2003) to burn DVD-Video discs. During burning, the progress bar in MovieFactory would move from 0% to 100% in about 15 minutes, then it would take another 15 minutes to actually finalize the disc to complete the burn. With other brands of discs bought elsewhere, I don't have this problem -- Verbatim DVD-R 4x bought from Meritline.com, Memorex DVD+R 4x bought from Amazon.com. All the burns have been successful. And burning data DVDs doesn't seem to cause the slowdown. So I wonder why the slowdown occurs only when I burn DVD-Video with the discs I bought from Shop4Tech.com. Anyone has similar experience?
    It does this very same thing on my burner. I have the GSA LG 4040B, and I use ULead DVD Movie Factory 2 to make direct copies of DVDs that have been backed up. I ONLY use Ritek G04's. The same thing happens. The blue progress bar goes from 0% to 100% in 15 minutes, but then the disc continues to burn for about another 15 minutes before it's actually done finalizng. But even so, the discs still work fine in the standalone player. BUT........the Riteks DO burn at 4x. When I back up a disc, and the files are shrunken and on the HD, when I burn them from the HD to the disc, they in fact DO burn (including the finalizing of the disc) within the span of 15 minutes. I use TMPEG DVD Author's burn engine to complete that particular burn.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Riteks on a 500ax? Iffy. Use genuine 4x media that works at 4x on the Sony.
    meritline.com has a list

You see, each disk has a special area of it that the drive is looking at to determine what speed it can do, (power caliberation) & Sonys don't read the one on the Ritek very well.
    Quote Quote  
  7. My problem is finally solved by installing the latest firmware 2.0h (dated 1/14/04) for my Sony DRU500AX burner. Now it only takes 15 minutes to burn a 4X DVD-R in MovieFactory 2 or Nero 6.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Now, why didn't you do that 5 weeks ago? Wouldn't have had the prob, and wouldn't have made handyguy's answer seem silly.

One of the reasons I don't answer some posts. Sometimes the real solution is as simple as yours was, and you get real techy, explain it all, and the guy says "Oh, wait, the power cord was disconnected, it works after all.

My daughter had that problem with her scanner, wouldn't load, called me to say, remember the scanner didn't work and you were gonna get new drivers, crawled under the desk, said "Hmmm, where does this wire go?", and it was the scanner lead. Now, who unplugged it? Tech support hell.

Cheers,

George
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by gmatov
    Now, why didn't you do that 5 weeks ago? Wouldn't have had the prob, and wouldn't have made handyguy's answer seem silly.
    Mind-numbing stupidity on your part.

The thread was started several months ago, before the new firmware was released. Without the new firmware to try, obviously nobody would know that it would fix the problem, not even you.

And I did install it 5 weeks ago. Had to spend time make sure it actually worked, then posted my findings here to benefit others.

So are you cleared up in your abject confusion now? Next time, think something through before saying it. Otherwise you would feel stupid afterwards. I bet you already felt a little stupid yourself as you were composing your reply, didn't you?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Posted: Feb 22, 2004 12:37
    latest firmware 2.0h (dated 1/14/04)

I don't feel stupid at all. You posted 5 weeks after the release of the update.

Now, either it took you 5 weeks to find that there was an update, or it takes you a hell of a lot longer to try something and give a big "Eureka, I've solved it!", than the typical member who is quicker to share his findings.

Also, quite obviously, with you smilies are useless. Most people take them at face value. You seem to just want to lash out.

Enjoy.

Cheers,

George
    Quote Quote  
  11. Your problem is like mine, we both own the crap burner made by SONY but mine is the DRU510A. The same thing happened to me. I went to office max and bought a khypermedia drive, which is a cyberdrive. It burns 4x plus media at 8x. Im done with Sony and the high price tag. I paid 69dollars for my hypermedia drive.
    Quote Quote