VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Any programs available to convert widescreen mpeg to normal tv? Hate the black areas on my tv.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can *try* using the VirtualDub Resize filter. Frameserve to TMPGEnc or CCE or whatever encoder you use.

No guarantee results, but works great for 'maintaining aspect ratio' from 16:9 -> 4:3 (widescreen). But if you want to get rid of the black bars, I think you just set it directly to 480x480 (thats for SVCD) with no letterbox changes. Otherwise to keep aspect ratio and have the black bars, its 480x360, then 480x480 for letterbox. For best results for 'downsizing' the resolution, use Precise Billinear. And for 'upsizing' the resolution, use Precise Cubic.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I don't know if Jeomite's suggestion works, but here is something that works for sure:
    In TMPGEnc select "No Margin (keep aspect ratio)" at Settings->Advanced->Video Arrange Method
    This will cut a part of the picture at both sides, how much it will cut will depend on how much "wide" your original film is, but it will make it full screen (4:3). If your source is MPEG I wouldn't expect good quality though.

"The answer's maybe and that's definite"

Well Done - New Media Design
    Quote Quote