VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok,

I'm teaching myself C++ (VB is good, but can't get to the SPTI DVD commands I want), which version do you use / prefer - Visual C++ or some more standard C++?

Jukka
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    SPTI DVD commands
    What's that ?

I don't think there are a lot of possibilities
    VC++6 , VS.net . Others don't know how to do MFC.

You can frequently force VB to make wierd system calls. It's ugly
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

I think you'll find that the most popular ones are:

* VC, and (m$)
    * C++ Builder (borland)

But, VC is what peoples here and doom9 use mostly, since AVIsynth is built
    around VC, and but that w/ Builder, you can't do any filter creating for AVS.
    Anyways. . .

Perhaps you can still get around your issue, as FOO said.. you gotta figure
    out those system calls. You could probably do the same thing under Delphi,
    and a whole lot easier, but I'm not DVD master :P ..so don't know what you're
    talking about

Can you post some snips anyways, so we and others can see what it is that
    you are have trouble with ??

-vhelp 2082
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhelp

I think you'll find that the most popular ones are:

* VC, and (m$)
    * C++ Builder (borland)
    Borland has discontinued C++Builder in favor of their new C++ builder X, which is a vastly inferior and incompatible product. While C++ Builder is an excellent product (in many ways superior to VC++), it would be a waste of time and money to start up with it now.

Right now, I'd ask if you're primarily interested in Standard C++, or in developing applications for MS windows. If the latter, you might be better served learning a different language. With the .NET initiative MS is pushing, the days of C++ on windows may be numbered

I still can't believe Borland is ditching VCL for wxwindows. What are those idiots smoking?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by phelix
    I still can't believe Borland is ditching VCL for wxwindows. What are those idiots smoking?
    Weed 2003
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The particular language is not the problem. Understanding
    the Widows API is the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  7. My two favorite C++ compilers for Windows at this point are mingw (http://www.mingw.org) and OpenWatcom (http://www.openwatcom.org). I'd been using the commercial version of Watcom for years before it went Open Source.

You can also download free command line versions of Borland's compiler and Microsoft's Visual C++ Express.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which one is better?
    Sam Ontario
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you are interested in using mingw (C++ compiler), you could look at CodeBlocks (the free IDE that uses the mingw compiler). If you are interested in .NET, you can download the MS 2005 Express versions free until November, but it was made for the 2.0 .NET framework, or try SharpDevelop (free) which was made for the 1.1 .NET framework.

**with appropriate nods to lmemsm and Sam Ontario
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    tekkieman,

Pls elaborate what you mean by "you can download the MS 2005 Express versions free until November". Does it mean MS will charge, no more download or the Express versions have expiration of use after November? Thanks.
    Sam Ontario
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You download the ISOs for free (or just the apps, but the ISO contains MSDE and other stuff), register them using your .net passport (hotmail login), and they are yours to use indefinately. Not demos, not crippled (other than designed for single developers, not teams), and capable of producing full .net 2.0 apps.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Certainly no more downloads after November, but I don't know what else might happen. Beyond that, what guns1inger said...
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    guns1inger & tekkieman,

Thanks for the info.

I just downloaded .net2 and VB 2005 Express. I installed the .net2 framework.

Pls excuse my ignorance, I am not familiar with both products and I don't know why they are tied together. Will VB 2005 Express automatically use features and functions available in .net2 like a source of library or something? Any info or books that will describe how the .net2 is used with VB 2005 Express?
    Sam Ontario
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The .NET framework is a series of assemblies (class libraries). To use them in VB 2005, you use the "Imports" keyword. In C#, you use "using". The System asseblies contain most of what you use in a standard app. Try typing "Importsd System. to get a list (Net, Diagnostics, IO, Runtime, Text, Web, Xml, etc.) The same goes for any other assemblies you place to use in your app.

Wrox has several books on .NET development.

Sorry I can't be much more help than that, but our major app will take too long to port to the 2.0 framework, so we are sticking with 1.1 as long as possible.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tekkieman
    The .NET framework is a series of assemblies (class libraries). To use them in VB 2005, you use the "Imports" keyword. In C#, you use "using". The System asseblies contain most of what you use in a standard app. Try typing "Importsd System. to get a list (Net, Diagnostics, IO, Runtime, Text, Web, Xml, etc.) The same goes for any other assemblies you place to use in your app.

Wrox has several books on .NET development.
    tekkieman,
    Thanks for the reply and the info.

Pls walk me thru how/when/where to "Try typing "Importsd System. to get a list (Net, Diagnostics, IO, Runtime, Text, Web, Xml, etc.)", with .net1.1 (I have also downloaded it and prepared to install it) to access the assemblies, thanks.
    Sam Ontario
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When you first create a new windows application in VB, above the class name, you list which asseblies you want to import. They must be listed before anything else. If intellisense is on, it will list the members of the assembly.

Edit: BTW, how did we go from C++ to VB in this thread?

Edit2: ...and just now saw that this thread will be three years old in November.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Jukka
    Ok,

I'm teaching myself C++ (VB is good, but can't get to the SPTI DVD commands I want), which version do you use / prefer - Visual C++ or some more standard C++?

Jukka
    g++
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!