VideoHelp Forum

View Poll Results: Which type of DVD Burner do you own?

Voters
528. This poll is closed
  • DVD-R(W)

46 8.71%
  • DVD+R(W)

54 10.23%
  • DVD-R(W) / DVD+R(W)

293 55.49%
  • DVD±R(W) / DVD RAM

113 21.40%
  • DVD-RAM

1 0.19%
  • DVD-R(W) / DVD-RAM

11 2.08%
  • None

10 1.89%
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    What type of burner do you down? This continues the following thread:

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=113424

Since many of us are on our 2nd or 3rd burner I figured I'd ask the question again. As of Nov. 11 2003 the poll was this.

Which type of DVD burner do you own?

DVD-R(W)
    32% [ 305 ]

DVD+R(W)
    16% [ 151 ]

DVD RAM
    0% [ 8 ]

NONE
    7% [ 72 ]

DVD-R(W) / DVD RAM
    3% [ 34 ]

DVD-R(W) / DVD+R(W)
    32% [ 303 ]

DVD±R(W) / DVD RAM
    6% [ 57 ]

Likely it will just show that alot more people purchased dual format burners.

2. I also Just purchased the Lite On LDW 411s, After the latest Firmware upgrade Works great with COMP USA 1x DVD-R(25pk). I am also trying Sony.

I also Own the Digital Research DDVDRW4 Dual format, This drive works great with the COMP USA media. So now owning both Drives I Expect to purchase 2 more drives for my other computers.

Need to know the firmware upgrade for DDVDRW4

Anyone have a reliable link to that.
    When there's no more room in HELL, the DEAD will WALK the EARTH. (Ken Foree)

3. The big advantage of plus/minus is that testing can be done using fast DVD+RW while final version can be on less expensive and more standalone compatible DVD-R.

I have purchased my first DVD +/- R/RW writer last month, Pioneer A06. Does a fantastic job.

4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    SONY DRU 510--ther only burner on the market that recognizes all media and has never burned a coaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DVDDave!!!!!!!!!!

Intervideo DVD Copy + ANYDVD RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Originally Posted by DVDDave
    SONY DRU 510--ther only burner on the market that recognizes all media and has never burned a coaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DVDDave!!!!!!!!!!

Intervideo DVD Copy + ANYDVD RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Just installed this drive today, can't wait to start making dvd's

Search Comp PM
    I have the NEC ND-1300A which does DVD-R(W) and DVD+R(W) but so far have only done DVD-R burning which is great at 4x

I have no need for DVD-RW or DVD+RW because I have a dedicated MPEG-1/MPEG-2 decoder card which is hooked up to a 13" TV so I test my stuff that way which saves time over having to burn a test DVD-RW or DVD+RW

Also I have no intensions of ever supporting DVD+R(W) anyways!

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE

7. Originally Posted by FulciLives
    Actually, you just did when you purchased the dual format burner.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gil T Pleasure
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    I never bought any DVD+R or DVD+RW media. I do have a couple DVD+RW discs that I got from a friend that bought a Philips stand alone DVD recorder but what can you do?

To me the official DVD forum picked DVD-R(W) and DVD-RAM and the whole Philips DVD+ thing is the bastard child of a greedy corporation.

As for owning a dual format burner I bought it mostly for the 4x speed (I had had a 2x Pioneer A04/104) but at the time of my purchase the NEC was the cheapest yet still high quality 4x DVD-R(W) burner so ... what can you do? I mean almost all of the -R format burners are dual format so not like I really had a big choice there!

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE

9. [quote="Dawn of the Dead Fan"]I also Just purchased the Lite On LDW 411s, After the latest Firmware upgrade Works great with COMP USA 1x DVD-R(25pk). I am also trying Sony.

Firmware upgrade?!?! I need to try that...I got some of those CompUSA DVD-R discs and they're crapping out on me...

10. Just upgrading the firm ware increases the abaility of your burner and increases it compat with the blank media. I Have the TDK 440N and when i first recieved my first bulk stack of DVD-R from Meritline.com they where only recognized as 1 and 2 but even than the burner refused to try until i got a firmware upgrade.

one Question.

I have only been able to burn one dvd At -4x and when i see the stat bar on nero i notice that it says 4X media but when i try to burn it says that the system can't pull the file fast enough to keep speed with my burner and the hard drive it pulling the files from is a SATA 200GB with a 7200 RPM spin.

Has any one else had this prob because that first burn was on a normal 20GB ATA-100 hard drive and i have been unable to make a 4X burn since than

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gil T Pleasure
    I never bought any DVD+R or DVD+RW media. I do have a couple DVD+RW discs that I got from a friend that bought a Philips stand alone DVD recorder but what can you do?

To me the official DVD forum picked DVD-R(W) and DVD-RAM and the whole Philips DVD+ thing is the bastard child of a greedy corporation.

As for owning a dual format burner I bought it mostly for the 4x speed (I had had a 2x Pioneer A04/104) but at the time of my purchase the NEC was the cheapest yet still high quality 4x DVD-R(W) burner so ... what can you do? I mean almost all of the -R format burners are dual format so not like I really had a big choice there!

Give it up Fulci ... your purchase is recorded somewhere as a statistic for supporting DVD+R/W disks ... LOL

Ain't that big a deal is it ??

12. I flashed my 401s to a 411s, so now I a have a dual format burner, I suppose.

13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How about a poll of what kind of DVDs do you give your customers? DVD-R or DVD+R? This might be more helpful to folks in the business. As previously stated, what kind of burner do you own only shows that folks are trying to cover all the bases.

Mike

14. Originally Posted by snake92069
    Just upgrading the firm ware increases the abaility of your burner and increases it compat with the blank media. I Have the TDK 440N and when i first recieved my first bulk stack of DVD-R from Meritline.com they where only recognized as 1 and 2 but even than the burner refused to try until i got a firmware upgrade.

one Question.

I have only been able to burn one dvd At -4x and when i see the stat bar on nero i notice that it says 4X media but when i try to burn it says that the system can't pull the file fast enough to keep speed with my burner and the hard drive it pulling the files from is a SATA 200GB with a 7200 RPM spin.

Has any one else had this prob because that first burn was on a normal 20GB ATA-100 hard drive and i have been unable to make a 4X burn since than
    Even an older HD ought to be able to keep up with that, since that's only about 5.5MB/s. Check your HD controller driver to see if maybe Windows has defaulted it into some sort of ghey slower PIO transfer mode. I'm not sure if that's possible with SATA, but it sure sounds like a driver issue to me.

15. Found out what was the problem, Bad DVD Media, Nero showed it as capable of 4X but as i investagated the media i found out it was not made be who packeged it but by someone else and it Only capable of 2X, 1X, and .5X

O Well anyways Compusa been having lots of DVD Media sales on the Memorex DVD so i'm getting the real things for about a doller a DVD and i really don't care that much any more cause i'm almost done with them
    5 more to go and no more 30 min. burnes.

16. DVD±R(W) / DVD RAM

17. ????????????

18. here i am still using my first dvd+/-r writer.
    it is a sony dru-500ax ( firmware 2.0c ).

+r at 4x / 2.4x
    -r at 4x / 2x / 1x
    +rw at 2.4x

since in my neighbourhood there are only 4x media available it is still a good deal for me since the 8x generation writers are of no use until the media gets available.
    the next one i hope it can be a BlueRay Writer because i personally think that the dual layer media will be a "joke".

19. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Hp 300i
    What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity....

20. My first burner is the OEM version of the Sony 500a (could not remember the model number now - u10, I think) (+/- r/w)

The second one is the HP 300i (+ r/w only)

21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Still using my 2x, '-' only Pioneer 104....speed is not an issue.

I'll upgrade when this thing dies or when 2nd gen dual layer burners come out.
    "Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless."

Bartman 8)

22. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    4 and 8X LiteOns.
    To go back about 3 weeks, to Snakes post, why the hell did he stick the cakebox up to the "seeing eye" on the front of the burner, and let it see that the WRAPPER on the spindle said 4X? If he'd never let it know it was packaged as 4X, it might have read the media code and set the burn speed accordingly.

What a mystery.

Cheers,

George

23. Pioneer A06. I like it as it will even write to damaged (dye loss / scratched) media unlike the NEC or LiteON or even the AO7 which I have tested. I will upgrade to a x16/x4 dual when they come available, though, and just use high quality media.

HD DVD formats on paper seem too expensive and too copyright protected to be of interest to me thus far - I hope that DVDR Dual Layer will become the defacto VHS standard recordable for most users with HD DVD taking over from what Laserdisk used to be -> only for enthusiasts that need the extra resolution for their 200 inch HD108i displays.

24. Originally Posted by offline
    Pioneer A06. I like it as it will even write to damaged (dye loss / scratched) media unlike the NEC or LiteON or even the AO7 which I have tested.
    That's correct.

I got a bad batch of Prodisc's (10 pieces). All had visible scratches/funky dye on them
    The Pioneer106 would write to all successfully!
    The verifying failed on most but half of them are still perfectly playable in standalone players.

My previous burner always stopped when writing to damaged discs.

25. MagicSpin 8X +/- r-rw writer (Optiwriter DD0401 with firmware 130I)

It seems to not be very fussy about media, so far only using 1X Princo's that write at 2X. Just bought some Prinnco's 4x and wrote 3 with no problem. Do have sume fuji's (Ritek I think -r 4x but so far just getting used to the system and writer.) So far my biggest problem seems to be the loose screw behind the keyboard/mouse, not the burner and software/media combination.

By the way using DVD Decripter, Clone DVD and Nero 5.5.10.56 bundled version.

Usually use Clone DVD but occasionally need the versitility of Nero. All seem to work well so far. Only had since late Jan so only just learing what to do etc.Not a computer newbee, just a
    DVD newbee.

Long live the Vic 20/Comodore 64 for those of you that remember

26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What, no Tgpo choice? Cendyne 104 DVD-R(W). Hates OptoDisc DVD-RWs, but like OptoDisc DVD-Rs. Go figure.
    Hello.

27. I have NEC ND1100A my first and i got it cheap...
    Yeah ....
    Haven't burn any DVD yet but already burning CD's and CD-RW...
    Works great... No losses yet...!! XX

28. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Denvers Dawgs
    Hp 300i
    What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity....

29. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Got a liteon 411s which will write over any scratched or damaged disc without stopping.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.

30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm still using my of HP DVD200i (Ricoh RPC1 firmware) a DVD+R(W).