VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)

View Poll Results: Which type of DVD Burner do you own?

Voters
528. This poll is closed
  • DVD-R(W)

46 8.71%
  • DVD+R(W)

54 10.23%
  • DVD-R(W) / DVD+R(W)

293 55.49%
  • DVD±R(W) / DVD RAM

113 21.40%
  • DVD-RAM

1 0.19%
  • DVD-R(W) / DVD-RAM

11 2.08%
  • None

10 1.89%
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    verbatim dvd+r/rw. It's slow, bit i've never had a problem with it.

Search Comp PM
    Pioneer 105. Still happy with it. I don't need to be able to write to +r media.

Search Comp PM
    Liteon 811s Here

I Have Always Been Here

Toshiba Regza 37Z3030D, Toshiba HD XE1 + EP-10 ( Both Multiregioned), Samsung BD-P1500 Blu Ray. OPPO DV-983H

4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    LG GSA-4040b...+/-/RAM

Hellacool :P
    "This is true in all walks of life: Man takes care of the quantity, woman the quality."

5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got GSA-4082 recently that does DVD-RAM in addition to DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, CD-R, and CD-RW. A Lite-On SOHW-812S will arrive today hopefully.

The other drives I have: ND-1100A, ND-1300A, DRU-500AX, SD-R5002, PX-708A, DVR-A05.

6. Plextor PX-708A here. Awesome drive since it can burn 40x to CD-R as well as 8x to DVD-R/+R. Rated very high by Maximum PC magazine for good reason.
    Robert L. Geier

7. Originally Posted by ofbarea
    I'm still using my of HP DVD200i (Ricoh RPC1 firmware) a DVD+R(W).
    yes, HP200i... The best burner that I ever had too. But I owned a Liteon 832 (DL), a Sony DRU-500A, a HP DVD 100i

... and the LG GSA-4040B the most versatile burner I ever had.

8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just upgraded to a liteon sohw-812S and burns even better than my former 411s.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.

9. I have 3 sony DRU530A's and 1 sony DRU700A, with firmware upgrades the burn 8X media and I have no coasters.
    Althoug I have 22 DVD+R DL disks I have not burned one yet. Apparently no one has seen fit to publish the capacity in MB's. IE DVD-5 will record 4464 MB's,
    but I have received information from 7.95 GB's to 7.93 GB's of actual recording.
    George Levy

Search Comp PM
    Plextor 708A
    Liteon 411s@811s auto bitsetting
    Pioneer 107D with hacked firmware 1.16

I'm thinking of purchasing a Liteon 1213 from Costco for only $79.99 but dunno where I'd put it. I'll probably get one of those 2 bay drives for dvd burners and hard drives and stick the Pioneer 107D & the Liteon 1213 if I decide to get it. I've become a dvd burner whore!

Search Comp PM
    Pioneer 105.
    I'll change it only when 8X dual layer burners appear in the market and T.Y. decide to produce dual layer DVD discs

12. Optorite DD0201

13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I`ve got a Pioneer 106 and a 107 both with hacked firmware...very happy,
    at least till dual layer media comes down in price $$$
    Then it`s onwards...and upwards.

The Devil`s always.....in the Details!

14. Sony DRU-530A; my first dvd writer and probably won't be needing another for awhile. Has worked well with both + and - media.
    I am Jack's medulla oblongata

15. Still have my trusty Pioneer 105. 400 burns and not a single coaster. I imagine I'll upgrade to a dual layer burner when they're reliable, cheaper, and when my 105 craps out.

16. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Pioneer 107D DVD+/- RW 8X

Previous poll: Panny LF-D311 DVD-R/DVD-RAM

Search Comp PM
    Sony DRU500a, NEC 2500a recently upgraded to an NEC 3500AG(my niece inherits the 2500a). Can't recall a coaster with any of them, mostly using Nero Burning ROM.

18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Liteon 451s flashed to 832 sohw (dual layer). Freakin' sweet!!!!

Search Comp PM
    Just upgraded to a NEC 3500A DVD+-RW 16x, from a liteon 811s
    I Have Always Been Here

Toshiba Regza 37Z3030D, Toshiba HD XE1 + EP-10 ( Both Multiregioned), Samsung BD-P1500 Blu Ray. OPPO DV-983H

Search Comp PM
    Still have the NEC-1300A. Moved to server. Desktop has a nice new BenQ 1620A.

21. 2 - HP DVD200i's (No coasters with either), and a Pioneer DVR108 (1 coaster with Nil's firmware.. ONLY because I attempted CMC +R media at 16x, ricoh DVD+R and MCC -R no problems at 16x or 12x, I mostly burn at 8x anyway.. even CMC +R came out ok at 12x.)

Search Comp PM
    Just replaced a TDK 420n DVD+R(W) drive “won’t read anymore” with a pioneer A08 but Nero 5.5 did not like it; but I upgraded to Nero 6 and it seems to be working very good. It’s a very quiet drive. I have tested it on TDK 4x +R and Memorex 4X +RW and Dynex 8X +R. But I have only had it 3 days so I well have to do more testing on various media to see how it does.

23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DVDDave
    SONY DRU 510--ther only burner on the market that recognizes all media and has never burned a coaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DVDDave!!!!!!!!!!

Intervideo DVD Copy + ANYDVD RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thats a liteon and theyre not that great. I returned one. Liteon used to be in class of their own, with cd drives at least, now they are mediocore at best.
    COPIED OVER 600 DVDS SO FAR

24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SatStorm
    Pioneer 105.
    I'll change it only when 8X dual layer burners appear in the market and T.Y. decide to produce dual layer DVD discs
    HD-DVD and BluRAY will replace DL before that happens.
    COPIED OVER 600 DVDS SO FAR

25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DRU-510A, have thrown all kinds of dvd+/- at it and the only ones that gave me problems were memorex.

DRU-530A, have not had time to put in yet, picked up for $8.00 brand new still sealed.

Considering transferring me in a DRU-700A, dual layer on final markdown for $30.00.
    Fun in the sun, Oh no my friend, Fun on the sun!

Search Comp PM
    Maybe the burners will support HDTV / Blue ray, before that actually happens. But in which price?
    I believe that gonna be a next step...

Talking for HD-DVD & Blue Ray in 2005 is like talking for DVD-R in 1996...

My next buy, gonna be - probably Pioneer 109 this July (or the next model, whatever that is)
    3 - 4 years from now, I may interest for HD-DVD or Blue ray (after the compatible players became mainstream and I have sources to feed my projects, like HDTV channels - we only have a few in Europe today).

DVD today is like VHS at the late 80s. And I believe is here to stay for more than a decade at the top.

Also, there is a new fact that gonna help DVD stay on mainstream for many years to come (at least in Europe): Terrestrial & Satellite HDTV broadcasts in Europe, gonna be on mpeg 4 and not mpeg 2 (as the few channels broadcast today here...). France anounce that decision first, Germany seems to follow and the rest of us (most countries in E.U. don't have HDTV broadcasts yet) gonna choose the latest technology for that (and that is mpeg 4!). Only the Brits seems not to agree on this (Rupert announce HDTV later this year, based on mpeg 2) The benefits of mpeg 4 HDTV over mpeg 2 are obvious (less bandwith,more channels per freq on sat or terrestrial) at about the same picture quality (on ideal studio enviroment, mpeg 2 may look slighty better mpeg 4 from what I know - maybe that changed with the development of mpeg 4, I don't know...)
    So, there's gonna be a use for those DVD discs for many years to come (about 2 hours per DVD5 with mpeg 4 HDTV material... Not bad...)

The funny thing to consider, is the situation with VCD in Europe today! Many newspapers / magazines lately. offer VCDs to their readers! So, in Europe, we have an "official" commercial appearance of VCD, after the appearance of DVD !!!
    The market is strange... So the needs that appears from time to time...
    La Linea by Osvaldo Cavandoli

27. Artec -/+ 16x
    www.sabronet.com - It's all you need...to know

28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    BenQ 1620Pro and NEC 3500a

29. 1st Burner DRX_500 - good burner reads/writes well

2nd Lite On 1633 - needed an 8X burner, not as comptabile with many discs

3rd Lite On 1673 - same, sold the 1633, this drive is ok.

4th Plextor 708UF - I like the external models better, no collisions with other IDE devices

Search Comp PM
    Sony DRU-500A