VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I seem to have a little problem sort of . Everytime I try to burn a cd it goes throught the steps like its gonna burn loads use buffer then lead in then BAM this stupid message Power Calibration Error WTF .This happend six times. I just got this drive a week ago and I have burned 5 cd's 5 dvd videos and 1 data dvd. What was weird is that after I got this message I tryed a data dvd and burned fine. So I thougt maybe I will try diffrent media and it burned ok . So then I tried the same media that was giving me the problem now it work what gives Never had this problem with my sony.

Has anybody had this problem?

I have a pioneer DVR-106D FW 1.05
    Quote Quote  
  2. This has been discussed only recently in the forum - basically the recorder doesn't like the media.

The media has a designated area with a number of sectors assigned for calibration testing - the recorder writes to these at different power levels until it finds one that it can read back, and then writes the disc at that level.

If it can't find a good one - or a free sector - it fails.

Sometimes reloading the disc helps (although you only get a couple of goes before all the sectors are used up), but basically suspect naff or ancient media that has gone past its best (I seem to recall a shelf life of 5 years for unburnt media).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks garryheather
    So your saying its the media but I bought it a week ago. Maxell 80mim 48x speed I burned 10 of them sometimes they give me that error
    and sometimes not.
    Media Information

Format Capacity Blank
    Free Blocks 736958464
    Free Capacity 702.82MB(736.96MB)
    Media Type CD-R
    Media code 97m15s17f
    Maufacturer Name Ritek Co.
    HD-BURN Certified YES
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 16.0x 2400KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 12.0x 1800KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 8.0x 1200KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 600KBps

Well I will try other media this week end then maybe rma this thing if it keeps doing it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Try burning @ 2 X and you should find it will work
    Quote Quote  
  5. Taxi I was talking about burning cdr's not dvd's.
    DVDs burn fine at 4x fujifilm -R That is the funny part.
    After I burned a dvd the cdr worked with no power calibration error.
    It was a cdrs that kept giving me the problem.
    Does that mean my laser is going bad? I had the burner for only a week.
    Quote Quote