VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have rev. B as posted earlier, but my unit came with video studio 6 . I wanted to know if I'm missing anything without UVS7? Also I didn't have a sticker on the bottom of my unit.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are missing a more stable program. VS 7 also has slow/fast motion.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wgymiski
    I have rev. B as posted earlier, but my unit came with video studio 6 . I wanted to know if I'm missing anything without UVS7? Also I didn't have a sticker on the bottom of my unit.
    According to the Ulead website there are quite a few changes from VS6 > VS7. Check out the changes here:

http://www.ulead.com/vs/vs7_whatsnew.pdf

AFIAK, the sticker must signify something regarding the updates/upgrades made to these units. Maybe there is some color code that has a meaning only to ADS regarding firmware updates. I may have to call them again, or if you want to know, I have an 800# for them that I can give you if you PM me. I suspect they may have recalled some of these units to upgrade them and prevent returns for minor issues. They were somewhat evasive when I questioned them about what changes were made to the units, as I noted before. I was told that the units were updated to be more compatible with PAL video, but that was basically all. If you can get more info out of them, let us all know.
    They may be unwilling to just upgrade the S/W as I noticed on the Ulead website, the upgrade to VS7 is $49.95 - almost half what we paid for the entire unit with software! All you can do is try. I suggest calling them and asking nicely, and also find out what the different colored stickers mean. If you have no sticker at all, the unit is probably original without whatever upgrades have been applied to later units. For that reason, you may want to do what "mrmom" is doing - send it back to have the upgrade done to yours. Up to you, if it's working OK and you can live with VS6 or not.

The updated second edition manual for Pyro A/V Link
    Ethernet (n): something used to catch the etherbunny
    Quote Quote  
  4. I love my sony trv-33 it works great for capturing. I capture analog in dv out no dropped frames. I also took some videos off the screen of my old 8mm the camcorder did pretty good but it's got a little fliker I'll have to play with the exposer and speed. But wasn't tp bad downloaded easy.

I'll take the ads back if it doesn't work better then it did althoug I'd rather use the box I have alot of vhs tapes and don't really want to leave my camcorder sitting out.
    As far as the ulead the help screens are real vague and I haven't been able to figure out how to clip my bad frames out, it lets me set start and end but I want to cut the middle out, ulead cuts the ends off. I've been playing with showbiz it looks like I can brighten up the dark frames and I need that too.
    Better lookin at it then for it
    Quote Quote  
  5. Well I am glad that everyone has been able to take advantage of this deal. I ended up returning mine and locating the revision B version and I am very glad I did. Now I am not sure as to whether my rev a version was defective or if thats why they have a rev b version. But now I am able to capture without frame loss with pinnacle studio 8, also the analog out is working as advertised. My other unit kept reverting to digital, the video out was on and off and I could not capture in pinnacle 8 without frame drops. The power button on this model is also a little nicer. As for the box that it came in I know one other suggested if it had black text on the front regarding the component video that this was rev b. Mine was red and rev b with Video Studio 7. A friend of mine purchased his at the same store that I bought mine at same identical box had no text on it stating it had componet video out and it had video studio 6 in it and it was rev. b. Further more the price was now $110 so they gave me my $10 back so I am very happy. Test your device thoroughly. You may wish to hunt down the rev b if your having problems

dun4cheap
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dun4cheap
    Well I am glad that everyone has been able to take advantage of this deal...
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Roundabout
    The only way I can see to tell the difference between the two models (A or B) is the front of the box. If the box says "component input" in red on the front instead of in black, then it's the newer version of unit and software. It drove me crazy because I couldn't see anything on the outside of the box that would indicate whether the unit was the older or newer one. If you look closer, also it's noted that UVS7 comes with it, and on the older one, it says UVS6, so that's another way you can tell.
    dun4cheap,

Actually, if the box has red print on the front where it says "exclusive component video connectors", then it is definitely the newer version REV.B model inside. Also, another tell-tale sign is that it comes with VS7, but probably some of the units that have VS6 have the REV B inside too. In other words, if the outside of the box says it has VS6, then there is no way to say for sure if the unit is A or B inside. However, you can be sure that it's a B model if it mentions on the box that VS7 is inside. So anyone looking, try to find one that has VS7, so you'll get the newer version of software along with the revised unit.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Sorry, I should have gone back to re-read your post. Get this though, the box sais VS 7 and inside the box was VS 6, so i have emailed ADS asking for the correct CD... But I tell you what this new box works well, I am mastering a DVD of my daughters chear team and the video out put works great... The capture works perfect also.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Was your box opened/resealed by any chance? Maybe someone switched the software that it came with. Did you get the newer "second edition" owner's manual that I posted a picture of above? I also noticed the improved power switch button - the A unit had an ugly post sticking out with no button on it. The new one is lower profile and looks nicer, not like it was an afterthought. Still would have been better if it had been on the front of the unit instead of the back, IMO.

Don't know how receptive ADS is about switching software discs, hopefully they care about customer service and will send you one out right away. Especially since the box you got says it's supposed to have VS7 included, you probably got one of the latest model/revision. Does yours have a yellow sticker on the bottom?

Maybe we need to warn everyone purchasing one of these to steer clear of the REV. A models, seems like everyone is having trouble with them. Obviously, they did more to them than just upgrading the PAL compatibility like I was told. I'll bet the A units also have no audio lock, and that was added later, in spite of what I was told. Since there's no switch for audio lock on A units, they probably lack this very important feature!

Glad now I took mine back and exchanged it. Everyone else, if you bought one of the older A units, better take it back and exchange it, or call ADS and ask them to upgrade the unit to work properly (make your unit a B unit) before you run into problems!
    Quote Quote  
  10. First of all, big thanks to dun4cheap for the heads up at circuit city and the great price. I went in, told them the store number, they made a call and knocked the price down to $121.96. Not bad since they had just taken it out of a case that had it listed for $200.00.

I made sure to get the Rev B version but it still came with Video Studio 6. I called ADS and here is how the conversation went.
    Me: "Hi, I just purchased the Pyro A/V Link and it says that it comes with Video Studio 7 "
    Them: "Let me guess, it came with version 6. Please give me your name and address and we'll send you out version 7 right away.

That was it. No serial numbers, nothing. Obviously they've been getting this call a lot.

In case anyone else is trying to get the good deal at circuit city, I've attached a scan of my receipt with my name blacked out for people to print out and take to the store with them.

-Ron
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I guess I will call them so I can get me a copy of video studio 7, because mine came with version 6. I haven't been able to capture becuase I have a virus on the secod hard drive that makes it not show up in windows .
    Quote Quote  
  12. They are also sending me v7. We will see. I picked up another ads pyro av link for my brother for xmas. It is rev. b but had v6 also. I paid $110 for it while I was in vegas.

dun4cheap
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TechnoMage,

You should have been able to pick the unit for $110.96, that's the new clearance price that everyone has paid for the unit. When they scanned the unit at the register that's what price came up. You might go back and ask them about the updated price, because I paid the $110.96 about 2 weeks ago, that should be the price at all their stores.

Would someone ask about firmware revision history when calling, and what the different colored stickers on the bottom signify (one color for one revision, different color for another?). Let us all know if you find out something about it.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I did ask about the revision dates, colored stickers and so fourht when I spoke with someone the other day. Here is what I was told.

Rev A and Rev B I was told were different firmwares. I questioned this and asked if the FW was updateable by enduser. The tech then corrected himslef and informed me the rev b had a newer chip making it more compatable with new software coming on to the market. I asked him if this device was supposed to be windows xp compatable and if so wouldn't it be irrelevant which software supported it! They all should support it if its 100% compatable. As for the color codes he told me those are just to show when they were produced.

I can tell you this, I had the rev a version first and I could only capture with vs 6, not pinnacle 8. Also using the video out was problematic, but since I have gone to the rev b it has worked like a charm. Now I am not positive that the one prior was not defective so if you get rec a try it first.

dun4cheap
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I first heard about this product only a few days ago when it popped up in the CANOPUS ADVC-100 thread that LordSmurf started.

So I did some research. Found a couple of forum sites dedicated to ADS etc.

Seems a lot of people are having trouble with audio sync (despite trying AUDIO LOCK on and off) as well as dropped frames.

On the surface this device looks like a cheap alternative to the Canopus ADVC-100 or even the DataVideo DAC-100 but it sounds to me as it if has too many problems.

Also it lacks a setting for IRE 0.0 BLACK vs IRE 7.5 BLACK and both the Canopus and DataVideo unit DO feature a selection of this sort which can be EXTREMELY important.

I think I'm leaning towards the DataVideo DAC-100 now.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    John,
    Maybe some of those people have the older version of this unit? There is an A revision and a B revision. Apparently they have improved it by several firmware revisions and I haven't seen too many complaints in this forum about the performance of this unit. If what they told dun4cheap is true, having a new chip in the revised model almost makes it an entirely different animal from the original version of the unit. I have one but haven't been able to test it yet (see my earlier posts) but will sometime soon. You're right about the IRE setting, there is none, but I haven't heard anyone comment on that thus far. How important is it, if they left it off this unit? MPEG capture devices (external) don't have this option and I don't see complaints about that.
    And at the price it is (remember, it is cheaper), if it works "good enough" maybe that's fine. I'm not gonna be doing any heavy duty work, I just want to copy home 8mm tapes and some VHS to disc, and though I like good quality, the source isn't that great anyway. If it looks reasonably good, I'll be happy with it. That's all I bought it for, and after I get done using it I'll probably sell it on Ebay for whatever I can get.
    Meanwhile, if it exceeds expectations, I'll comment on that, or vice versa. Hopefully others will chime in with their experiences too - good and bad.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Meanwhile, if it exceeds expectations, I'll comment on that, or vice versa. Hopefully others will chime in with their experiences too - good and bad.
    I'd be very interested to hear what you have to say about it once you put it through some work.

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    John,

Don't worry, if it sucks the big one, you'll probably hear more from me about it than if it works good
    If it's an expensive paperweight, I don't want someone else to get ripped off. But so far the people that have it seem basically happy with it. Too bad more people don't have one already to let us know. I looked at some of those same forums you mentioned (Creative Cow and the ADS forum) and I didn't see a lot of posts about this particular unit. Most were about other ADS units with similar sounding names. They really should think of some other names - look at the list:

PYRO Professional
    PYRO A/V Link
    PYRO 1394DV
    PYRO ProDVD
    PYRO 1394 Port (AVID)
    PYRO PCI 64 (AVID)
    PYRO 1394DV Cardbus
    PYRO BasicDV
    PYRO 1394 Drive Kit
    PYRO Card & Drive Kit
    PYRO 2.5 Drive Kit
    PYRO 1394 WebCam
    PYRO DV RaidRT
    PYRO DV Drive
    PYRO 1394b PCI

No wonder people get confused when so many of their products have the word "Pyro" in them. And if one of them suck, people could say, "I have one of those Pyro units and it bites!" and maybe it's a completely different unit they are talking about. I think that's bad marketing on ADS's part. They should drop that word and just call it "A/V Link" and there would be less confusion.
    Anyway, time will tell about this thing. I won't be able to test it until sometime in Jan. when I get enough cash together to build a decent PC for my video work.
    I will be posting to this link when I know more about it, for sure.
    Stay tuned.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I looked at some of those same forums you mentioned (Creative Cow and the ADS forum) and I didn't see a lot of posts about this particular unit. Most were about other ADS units with similar sounding names. They really should think of some other names.
    Yes I didn't bookmark them but I think one was run my ADS and the Creative Cow thing sounds familiar so I think those are the same two that I found in my research.

If I recall one of them had a FORUM called PYRO 1394 and it had some posts concerning the A/V LINK

Anyways good luck on setting up the new computer and using the A/V LINK

Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Had to go on line to buy mine. Circuit City does not ship to Europe. Anyway, when it arrived, I grabbed it, unwrapped it, and the first thing I did was check the unti to see what revision I had:

Now I am going to the web site to find out what this means.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I seem to recall that the forum posts I found concerning this product did metion something about a newer revision C version.

So maybe look up those links that I and Roundabout were talking about.

Also I still very interested to hear what actual users of this device have to say about the quality of their captures etc.

Quote Quote  
  22. I just bought an ADS Pyro A/V Link the other day, I couldn't be more pleased. My previous capture cards / devices were:

1. Cheap TV tuner card (bad A/V synch and image quality)
    2. Adaptec Videoh! DVD (worked fine with MovieMill, but clunky overall)
    3. Adaptec DVD Media Center (worked fine, but no MovieMill, so very limited encoding choices, clunky)

The ADS has vastly simplified and improved my capture process. I can now capture directly with Ulead VS7, instead of importing video, and I can capture in the format I intend to burn to, eliminating transcoding. For jobs I don't want or need to edit, I use Ulead MovieFactory, with the Direct-to-disc mode. For a 1 hour VCD, it takes me 1 hour and 6 minutes from the time I start the capture until I have the disc in hand. For DVD's, you can use on-the-fly encoding/writing, so you have the disc in less than 30 seconds after the end of the encoding session - and it's no problem to re-edit the disc if it's an RW and add additonal content and menus.

Encoding quality is excellent - looking at the raw DV to disc, it looks great. Zero dropped frames, no A/V desynchronization problems on any of the recordings I've done so far (up to 2 hours). It took me less than 10 minutes from the time I opened the box to encoding video in VS7. Wish I'd bought one of these or the ADVC-100 from the beginning and I wouldn't have wasted many hours on bad recordings, clunky software, and transcoding.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pbanders
    I just bought an ADS Pyro A/V Link the other day, I couldn't be more pleased. My previous capture cards / devices were:

1. Cheap TV tuner card (bad A/V synch and image quality)
    2. Adaptec Videoh! DVD (worked fine with MovieMill, but clunky overall)
    3. Adaptec DVD Media Center (worked fine, but no MovieMill, so very limited encoding choices, clunky)

The ADS has vastly simplified and improved my capture process. I can now capture directly with Ulead VS7, instead of importing video, and I can capture in the format I intend to burn to, eliminating transcoding. For jobs I don't want or need to edit, I use Ulead MovieFactory, with the Direct-to-disc mode. For a 1 hour VCD, it takes me 1 hour and 6 minutes from the time I start the capture until I have the disc in hand. For DVD's, you can use on-the-fly encoding/writing, so you have the disc in less than 30 seconds after the end of the encoding session - and it's no problem to re-edit the disc if it's an RW and add additonal content and menus.

Encoding quality is excellent - looking at the raw DV to disc, it looks great. Zero dropped frames, no A/V desynchronization problems on any of the recordings I've done so far (up to 2 hours). It took me less than 10 minutes from the time I opened the box to encoding video in VS7. Wish I'd bought one of these or the ADVC-100 from the beginning and I wouldn't have wasted many hours on bad recordings, clunky software, and transcoding.
    Are you doing NTSC or PAL video captures? Do you mostly do DVD or VCD in the end?

Just trying to get a handle on what you do

I'm also interested in how the final output (especially with DVD) compares to the original video in terms of color saturation and birghtness/contrast since I am worried that this device does not have selected IRE input level control.

Quote Quote  
  24. I myself am doing DVD projects. So far I am overjoyed. I have caputred both with analog method and DV pass through. I have also used this device fro DV to anolog output. I am currently using Studio 8 with the rev b pyro. I do all my editing in DV format then my final project goes to mpeg2 8000kbs mpeg audio until a good AC3 solution is found. MyDVD5 video editing stinks and the dvd author of it is not much better.

However, the Studio 8 is buggy as hell, but works well once you get around the rough corners.

Bottom line, I am happy with the Pyro AV Link for $110. It will definately integrate into my video editing setup and I will be using it quite a bit. As for the colors I have not seen any apparent difference.
    Quote Quote  
  25. RE: FulciLives comments...

I do NTSC captures, and about a 80/20 mix of VCD/DVD. As for color saturation, while I have some understanding and appreciation of the subtleties, I am not a hard-core videophile so my standards may not be very high. For my purposes, it looks very good. My source material is generally from my Tivo standalone via s-video, so it's not reference material to start with. I have some laserdiscs I need to burn to DVD, they're better source, so I'll repost after I do them as to the quality. If you have something specific you want me to test for, let me know and I'll try it.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Fulcilives
    Well I seem to recall that the forum posts I found concerning this product did metion something about a newer revision C version.
    Did a search for rev c, rev. c rev "c", etc. No hits on this site. I still like it. About ten minutes from the moment it hit my computer room to before I was getting DV from my D8 analog outputs. Can hardly wait until the weekend when I will try to convert my VHS tapes to DVD. Although I paid retail, I still am very happy with this unit.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tommyknocker
    Originally Posted by Fulcilives
    Did a search for rev c, rev. c rev "c", etc. No hits on this site.
    As I said in the other post (which you only partly quoted) the info I seem to recall reading about the revision C version was NOT on this website but one of the other two websites that I had hinted at and that Roundabout actually stated.

Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, missed that part. Thanks for clearing that up. Do not usually visit other sites, except when linked there by this forum for a tool, guide, etc. Thanks.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Well I spoke with ADS today, #1 because the box shows Ulead Studio 7, I got 6. They sent me a new disc at it has UVS 7 SE on it and the box shows the retail version of 7. Well they won't do anything, no biggy but I did ask him about rev. c. He told me the rev. c is for europe only..
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by dun4cheap
    Well I spoke with ADS today, #1 because the box shows Ulead Studio 7, I got 6. They sent me a new disc at it has UVS 7 SE on it and the box shows the retail version of 7. Well they won't do anything, no biggy but I did ask him about rev. c. He told me the rev. c is for europe only..
    You might want to call him and ask if Phoenix, AZ, is in Europe. Because I checked my ADS Pyro A/V Link last night and it's a rev. C.

Purchased from buy.com last week, DIP switches set (actually potted in epoxy) for XP, NTSC, and locked A/V.
    Quote Quote