VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. The DVD-R problem is fixed and it doesn't take forever to finalize a disk!With V2.16 the fastest I could rip a single-layer pressed DVD was 8x now it's 10.1x:

RecordNow DX :

Nero InfoTool:

CAUTION:If you use the Windows installer use PIO mode or disable DMA before installing.
    www.optorite.com/firmware.htm
    Quote Quote  
  2. So you're saying you used the 2.23 firmware meant for the 201 on a 203?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Vanderlow
    So you're saying you used the 2.23 firmware meant for the 201 on a 203?
    Yes,it flashed without a hitch.
    UPDATE:I received a power calibration error when I tried to read a CD-RW and a CD-R,not to worry I just enabled DMA and shut down my PC,restarted and burned a small data file and erased it...all is well.
    Quote Quote  
  4. MOVIEGEEK: What a risky move! Was there something that made you upgrade the firmware, or just curiosity? What DVD-R finalizing problem did you experience?

My DD0203 works fine, and I would still upgrade the firmware just to keep the drive up-to-date, but would like to see an official firmware from Optorite specially designed for DD0203, and not for DD0201.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Aren't they both Sanyo CRD-BPDV2 OEM drives?
    You stop me again whilst I'm walking and I'll cut your fv<king Jacob's off.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I updated because I was having problems finalizing all DVD's and I read on other forums that v2.23 fixed it.I figured if this didn't fix it I was going to buy a Lite-On 411,no need now.

BTW...when I updated the firmware to v2.16 my PC froze but when I disabled DMA and updated to v2.23 it installed perfectly.
    Quote Quote  

7. @Moviegeek:

At first mine IISonic 8404A ( Optorite DD0203 ) works after flashing with the new FW 2.23 fine too...
    My Question to you is why shows your Nero Info Tool the right Burner
    "Optorite DD0203" and at me and the most others i know it shows
    "DVD RW 4xMax"? It would be nice if you would answer...

Dickmann
    Quote Quote  
  8. The new firmware for DD0203 is up on the Optorite site

http://www.optorite.com/support.htm

That's right "DD0203" firmware v2.23 !!

File size looks different to the DD0201 version, but that's all I can tell for the moment.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hi,
    Does anybody know if this firmware will work on the MSI version of the drive??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dickmann

@Moviegeek:

At first mine IISonic 8404A ( Optorite DD0203 ) works after flashing with the new FW 2.23 fine too...
    My Question to you is why shows your Nero Info Tool the right Burner
    "Optorite DD0203" and at me and the most others i know it shows
    "DVD RW 4xMax"? It would be nice if you would answer...

Dickmann
    Done a binary compare of the IISonic fw 2.23 and optorite fe 2.23 and the only differance was that ID string - other than that they were identical.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Yup! This new virmware 2.23 works on the MSI DRA4, all problems have been cured.

Get burning mates!

B1.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Can anyone tell me what this new firmware will fix? My understanding is that it will address the DVD-R finalization issue and provide compatability with more media. Has anybody tried new media that did not work with 2.16, but now works with 2.23? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK
    CAUTION:If you use the Windows installer use PIO mode or disable DMA before installing.
    www.optorite.com/firmware.htm
    I just got this drive and I'm about to update the firmware using windows. Can anyone tell me exactly what I have to do. I know i have to have the drive on an IDE channel by itself. Do I need to do any special settings in device manager such as the DMA comment above?

I'm using Win2k if that's relevant.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  14. I recently upgraded the firmware to V2.23 and did not notice any difference in performance or compatibility. My Optorite DD0203 was burning DVD media with no errors, but many disks had poor playback issues with various brands and types of media.

I tried to burn a DVD movie on one of my CompUSA (Optodisk) 2.4X DVD+RW after upgrading the firmware, and it still has the same playback issue - the playback stops after approx 1 hour on stand alone DVD player due to difficulties reading the DVD disk. I guess this is a problem with the CompUSA DVD+RW itself. But if it is, how can they sell such media if it doesn't work? I also had the same problems with Memorex 4X DVD+R and Ritek G04, but haven’t tried to burn after upgrading the firmware.

Has anyone experienced the same problems with CompUSA media (Optodisk, Princo), including owners of different burners (Pioneer, Sony, etc.)? Or it is the problem with Optorite, may be with my burner.

I wrote about my problems to Optorite’s Tech Support three days ago, but had no reply…
    Quote Quote  
  15. @jeremyp969,
    Having the drive connected to the IDE by itself isn't important but using PIO mode is,otherwise it might not flash or worse(a dead drive).
    Quote Quote  
  16. Mine wouldn't even flash in PIO mode. I had to do it in DOS.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Help required.
    I've just tried to update the firmware in dos mode and the floppy disk failed to read all the fireware. When i have rebooted my PC it won't boot at all with the drive connect which is completely dead.
    Any ideas
    Quote Quote  
  18. You stop me again whilst I'm walking and I'll cut your fv<king Jacob's off.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK
    @jeremyp969,
    Having the drive connected to the IDE by itself isn't important but using PIO mode is,otherwise it might not flash or worse(a dead drive).
    Forgive the ignorance but, what is PIO mode???? Have people had more luck using the windows route or making the DOS boot disk?
    Quote Quote  
  20. I've got my MSI drive (Opto201) set as master on IDE1 with my LG dvd-rom as slave to it. My Plextor CD-RW is set as Master on IDE2 by itself.
    Hard drives are on SATA interface, so they dont affect anything.

The Windows firmware flashing program failed for me, so I had to flash in DOS. Its quite a simple method. If some peeps arent sure, boot up from a Windows ME boot floppy and choose option 4 at the prompt which is "Minimal Boot"

1) Change floppies to the one with your Optorite DOS flash program and firmware file (this floppy should only have these two files on it, cant remember if theres a readme, but that doesnt hurt anything).

2) Run the DVFlash program and follow the instructions.

If all goes well, then just reboot and check with NERO Info Tool.

Hope this helps,

B1.
    Quote Quote  
  21. @jeremyp969,
    Here is a Win2000 guide on PIO:http://defiant.darlington.com/Software/Win2k/win2000_tricks.htm

NOTE:"IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT",meaning if the drive is working fine don't upgrade the firmware.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Hi,
    I've tried using MTKFLASH and followed the guide and had no joy any more ideas??
    Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by camBB
    Hi,
    I've tried using MTKFLASH and followed the guide and had no joy any more ideas??
    Thanks in advance
    Just want to point out that the Optorite models use the Sanyo chipsets, not the Mediatek chipsets as intended to be used with MTKFLASH. Since you didn't describe in details how the flash failure happened, your best bet is to contact Optorite tech support for help.

Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  24. In the past DVD-R media burned with the Optorite would not play in my Sony NS715P. They would play in every other player I tried, including other Sony models, but not mine. With this new firmware DVD-R also work in my player now.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Just curious to find out if I am the only one with the following problem?

Burned two DVD-R (CompUSA brand made by Princo) discs after updating to v2.23 FW, and they can be read by my Lite-On LTD-163 as confirmed by many others. But today I just found out that the DD0203 itself CANNOT READ these same discs. One disc was burned using DVD Decrypter, while the other using Nero.

I should have known this v2.23 is too good to be true given Optorite/Sanyo's miserable history on updating firmwares.
    Quote Quote  
  26. hi guys i have win98 and i tried installing the dos223 in dos mode...it says i am supposed to type updata xxx.bin
    i tried typing in updata 223.bin and update 223.bin but neither works...can someone help me please and thanks
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hooo3
    hi guys i have win98 and i tried installing the dos223 in dos mode...it says i am supposed to type updata xxx.bin
    i tried typing in updata 223.bin and update 223.bin but neither works...can someone help me please and thanks
    Yeah they have it wrong on the Optorite site. Instead of update use the name of the executable, I think it's DVFlash
    Quote Quote  
  28. yeah when i type in dvflash in the dos mode it tells me to put the BIN I want to use in...what am i supposed to type in there?
    Quote Quote  
  29. yeah when i type in dvflash in the dos mode it tells me to put the BIN I want to use in...what am i supposed to type in there?
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVFlash and then the name of the bin file for example:

DVFlash xxx.bin
    Quote Quote