Just figured i'd post this link to an official SONY $50 M.I.R for the SONY brand new, soon to be widely available 8x+R DRU-530A.
There is also a $30 M.I.R offer for anyone that purchases the DRU-510A by December 31st. Both Rebates are vaild through December 31, 2003.
edit: Ahh..this "particular" offer appears to be from specific retailers in CANADA. Still a good deal for those in Canada. I'm sure they'll be a similar offer from Sony on Rebateshq as there was with the 500A/AX. I'll keep a look out.
Here's the Link: http://www.sony.ca/storage/data/rebate.pdf
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4
How's it goin', defense? My question is: When are they gonna come out with firmware for the DRU-510A that will let it burn at 8X, since the laser will supposedly handle it?
Originally Posted by ebentonYou stop me again whilst I'm walking and I'll cut your fv<king Jacob's off.
hey ebenton...what's up....good question...but I believe what tompika says is right. Sony probably won't release a firmware update for their 1st and 2nd generation DVDR burners because they'll want people to spend the money to upgrade. The truth is...I'd bet that somewhere around 90% of the people who buy burners....have no clue about firmware or anything else. Even the ones that are aware that you can't do just a straight 1:1 copy of a commercial DVD....still probably aren't aware of things such as "firmware" or even what the definition of firmware is.
Ask a Best Buy or CompUsa employee if the burner you are purchasing has the latest firmware revision flashed from the factory...and see the look on their face. It's gonna be something like this.... .....and those are employees who sell the products day in and day out. People who aren't that familiar with DVD BURNERS and don't know about forums such as this....probably won't have a clue.
I am still holding out some hope that by chance Sony will release a firmware update that will do more then just be "more compatible with more media" ....and will actually allow for 8x writing on at least one of the two formats...most likely +R.....but if they don't release it around the time the DRU-530A's start to be shipped...which is in the next few weeks....then it probably won't ever happen.