VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. im trying to convert a divx to a vcd. im using TMPGEnc, and when i go to encode it. it stretches the movie so it isnt widescreen. But i want it to stay widescreen. Can someone help me out with this. thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you choose Video Arrange Method = Full Screen Keep Aspect Ratio,

that normally makes it ok

Jukka
    Quote Quote  
  3. that worked. but now when the movie encodes. it leaves a boarder on the sides. I just want it at the top and bottom. Is there a way to do that? I played around with the settings and cant seem to get it
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you want wide screen, there has to be a border at the top and bottom. Select 16:9 and Full Screen Keep Aspect Ratio2.
    Quote Quote  
  5. i still get the boarder on the side... :S oh well. thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Set your aspect ratio at 1:1
    That should do the trick.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm no expert by any means, but I use this method to preserve widescreen. Choose 16x9 output, then choose to do the custom resize.
    You may have to play around with the settings, but choose this initial size: 720 x 464. Encode around five minutes or so to see what the output will look like. Then, you can downsize from there...720 x 448, 720 x 392 and so on... I usually go in sixteen pixel increments. If you characters look stretched out with small black bars at the top, then subtract sixteen more pixels until the black bars reach the width where the actors on the screen don't look squashed or slightly squashed. You should see all of the screen and no black borders on either the right or left side. No, my method(s) may not be the proper way to do it, but the results come out the way I prefer them.

Make sure you crop away the black borders (using the clip frame option) that are already present on the screen. (I believe anamorphic films have this black border present.) You just want to custom resize the film itself minus the black bars and add your own black bars. If you crop away the black borders present on the film itself, you should get the figures of 720 x 464 or 720 x 392. Just experiment a little.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some mis-information here.

Only Full D1 resolutoin (720x480 NTSC or 720x576 PAL) authored to a DVD can be 16x9 ANAMORPHIC if you want your stand alone DVD player to display it properly on a 4:3 TV otherwise it will only look normal on a 16x9 TV display and look stretched on a 4:3 TV display.

As for the stuff on the sides ... don't worry about it ... it will not show up on your TV due to overscan. Most commercially made DVD videos have a wee bit of black on the sides too so it's not a big deal.

Resizing DivX/Xvid can be tricky so using FULL SCREEN (KEEP ASPECT RATIO) or FULL SCREEN (KEEP ASPECT RATIO 2) is really the best way to do it.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote